• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWTennesseans? It's been a great ride.....(Now heading to Colorado)

Re: TWTennesseans? It's been a great ride.....

Oh, and this happened last week...

IMG_3036-M.jpg

Well, we know you can't come back to Austin in that! I like the consulting idea.

What part of Tn are you headed? I used to spend my summers as a kid in Eastern Tennessee (Oak Ridge area) and it's some of the most beautiful country on the Eastern side of the US.

Love the Raptor!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What part of Tn are you headed? I used to spend my summers as a kid in Eastern Tennessee (Oak Ridge area) and it's some of the most beautiful country on the Eastern side of the US.

Downs, you gotta catch up. Tennessee was three years ago, now Colorado is the destination :rofl:

Safe travels in the move. Been to Chattanooga once and went to Smoke Mt. Park and just remember how green everything was. Enjoy.

We live in Chattanooga now - far SE TN - but are moving in 6 week to Colorado.

You said a mouthful. TN, NC, GA and this area are indeed some of the most beautiful areas on the Eastern side of the US. The amount of outdoor recreation in stunning setting is just mindboggling. The bicycling here is world class and has turned me from a 95/5 runner/cyclist to about 50/50 runner/cyclist.

Turns, though, that out a few years east of the Mississippi really reinforced how much we are truly children of The West and how we long for the wide open spaces of the American West. Pikes Peak or Bust!!!!

Last edited:

You said a mouthful. TN, NC, GA and this area are indeed some of the most beautiful areas on the Eastern side of the US. The amount of outdoor recreation in stunning setting is just mindboggling. The bicycling here is world class and has turned me from a 95/5 runner/cyclist to about 50/50 runner/cyclist.

Turns, though, that out a few years east of the Mississippi really reinforced how much we are truly children of The West and how we long for the wide open spaces of the American West. Pikes Peak or Bust!

IMG_2764-L.jpg

IMG_2756-L.jpg

Last edited:

After a lifetime in The West it is an overload of green here. We find we actually much prefer winter when the leaves drops so you get more views and less tunnel and claustrophobia feel.

Here are a couple snapshots of some of the 'ordinary' views from my regular Thursday morning ride (bicycle) up Raccoon Mountain which, btw, is not a mountain in any sense of the word until you are pedaling up 2000' in 3 miles!!! :doh:

IMG_3028-M.jpg

IMG_3019-M.jpg

Safe travels in the move. Been to Chattanooga once and went to Smoke Mt. Park and just remember how green everything was. Enjoy.

Turns, though, that out a few years east of the Mississippi really reinforced how much we are truly children of The West and how we long for the wide open spaces of the American West. Pikes Peak or Bust!

IMG_2764-L.jpg

IMG_2756-L.jpg
Very jealous. 6 months ago I picked up a 2016 xlt super crew with 302a FX4 sport for a steal. Would have seriously considered the Raptor it it wasn't demanding (and getting) such an up charge from the dealers. Everyone around here was adding 10k to MSRP and people are paying it. There was no negotiation what so ever.

**** nice trucks. In 2-3 years I shall own one.

We have a great dealer in town here. They made decision that any local buyer could buy at MSRP with ZERO markup and they only custom ordered their allocations. They sold 13 and earned a bonus 14th to sell. Mine was #12. No more until 2018 model year.

Very jealous. 6 months ago I picked up a 2016 xlt super crew with 302a FX4 sport for a steal. Would have seriously considered the Raptor it it wasn't demanding (and getting) such an up charge from the dealers. Everyone around here was adding 10k to MSRP and people are paying it. There was no negotiation what so ever.

**** nice trucks. In 2-3 years I shall own one.

Did I miss the "where" part of Colorado you are relocating to?

Pikes Peak area. Outside a little town called Woodland Park. If you could go due west out of north end of Air Force Academy over the the mountains for about 10 miles, you'd be at my cabin. Great road and dirt riding. Hundreds of miles of BLM and NF roads and trails literally in my back yard. It is a 13 hour and 9 minute drive/ride from Oak Hill.

Did I miss the "where" part of Colorado you are relocating to?

Pikes Peak area. Outside a little town called Woodland Park. If you could go due west out of north end of Air Force Academy over the the mountains for about 10 miles, you'd be at my cabin. Great road and dirt riding. Hundreds of miles of BLM and NF roads and trails literally in my back yard. It is a 13 hour and 9 minute drive/ride from Oak Hill.

All u have to say is Pikes Peak Hill Climb and the lawn will be full of tents.

Just back from a "midnight run" to denver.
Left fri morn and back in austin by sat night.

Just for a new toy.
Hehe

And pikes peak still had snow from a couple weeks ago.

4049186a86c205185949173ebde332a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooooo....you gonna bicycle up Pikes Peak? I was out of breath just piloting my motorcycle up there, hats off to all the guys I passed biking to the top.

Lol
Pikes is one thing but Mt Evans is another.
Used to pedal up that beast from Evergreen as a warm up when i lived in denver.
All worth it for the downhill.
Hehe

:tab Mt. Evans is very cool in every respect. We came down from I-70, rode to the top, parked and checked out the over look spot. The scenery was incredible as it was a beautiful day! Walking from my bike to the overlook, I started seeing spots before my eyes!! I stood at the rail and just focused on relaxed breathing. They went away and I was fine. Even though fuel injected, my 01 VFR 800 did not want to idle at that altitude. Apparently the FI map only went up to 12K feet. I had to hold the revs high all the time to keep it from stalling as we worked our way back down those upper switchbacks. Then we made the run into Bergen Park on Squaw Pass Rd. (Hwy 103). From there we cut back over to the Peak to Peak Highway and ran up to Estes Park and through the Rocky Mtn Nat Park! Just an incredible day of riding all around.

Sooooo....you gonna bicycle up Pikes Peak? I was out of breath just piloting my motorcycle up there, hats off to all the guys I passed biking to the top.

Yes, actually. And run up it. Have already hiked up it and that picture I shared earlier is the Manitou Incline which goes up the side of Pikes. 2000' elevation gain in 9/10 of a mile. We climb it frequently. Great workout.

Lol
Pikes is one thing but Mt Evans is another.
Used to pedal up that beast from Evergreen as a warm up when i lived in denver.
All worth it for the downhill.
Hehe

Looking forward to cycling in CO. Probably a lot of gravel grinding.

:tab Mt. Evans is very cool in every respect. We came down from I-70, rode to the top, parked and checked out the over look spot. The scenery was incredible as it was a beautiful day! Walking from my bike to the overlook, I started seeing spots before my eyes!! I stood at the rail and just focused on relaxed breathing. They went away and I was fine. Even though fuel injected, my 01 VFR 800 did not want to idle at that altitude. Apparently the FI map only went up to 12K feet. I had to hold the revs high all the time to keep it from stalling as we worked our way back down those upper switchbacks. Then we made the run into Bergen Park on Squaw Pass Rd. (Hwy 103). From there we cut back over to the Peak to Peak Highway and ran up to Estes Park and through the Rocky Mtn Nat Park! Just an incredible day of riding all around.

Our place is pretty ideally situated for riding. Might even get rid of the big GSA since I don't have to trek across Texas for every trip any more. Maybe. Love that bike. Added a WR250 for riding trails and short-medium exploring trips.

Have yet to watch the Hill Climb but will rectify that soon. My in-laws live in Lake City and got quite a few inches of snow this weekend. We got >6" at our place two weeks ago.

All u have to say is Pikes Peak Hill Climb and the lawn will be full of tents.

Just back from a "midnight run" to denver.
Left fri morn and back in austin by sat night.

Just for a new toy.
Hehe

And pikes peak still had snow from a couple weeks ago.

4049186a86c205185949173ebde332a5.jpg

:tab It is blasphemy to speak of getting rid of a GS, unless you are replacing it with another GS :-P

:tab The more I ride my 1200 GS on the unpaved stuff, the more I like it. Of course, it is not my choice for the really rough stuff. However, for most any forest service or county road, it simply does really well. This is especially true if I am carrying one of my kids with me. I keep a set of TKC 80s (or something similar) on it all the time. I quit messing around with those 50/50 adventure tires since I don't do long road trips on it. I usually end up taking more than one bike so we typically trailer to our destination. This lets me really enjoy the bike with the better tires without using them up to get there. I also have Ohlins suspension on front and rear, which makes a BIG difference. I'd never try to use it for single track though... :whatever:

Here are a few shots of roads for which I LOVE the GS

P1080714.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

P1080747.jpg

P1080766.jpg

P1080799.jpg

Utah_0468.jpg

Utah_0479.jpg

Utah_0484.jpg

Utah_0489.jpg

Utah_0498.jpg

Utah_0509.jpg

Utah_0577.jpg

I was REALLY wishing I was running TKC 80s here instead of the Heidenau K60s... :eek2: But I managed...
Utah_0583.jpg

:tab Your WR is a great choice! There were several in a group of riders with us in Colorado back in 2010 and they had a blast doing the high passes around Telluride, Ouray, Lake City, etc,... Being on a KLR 650 at the time, I was a bit envious of their light weight and fuel injection.

Woodland Park is a cool little town! There's a small dinosaur museum my boys loved.
Maybe we'll run into each other, my family and I are moving to the Springs in July. My with already has a teaching job up there, and I'm looking for work.

Back