• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group B: The "traditional" group ride to Montemorelos for lunch, then Rayones, then Cienega Del Toro and DS Double Dragon into Galeana. 80 miles offroad. For intermediate riders capable of making good time on dirt (Rich?)

I'm happy to lead the B group if I am able to attend. :)

Group C: 6 riders max

Ride ahead of other groups,
No lunch stop, carry snacks only,
Gas stops in Santiago and Rayones,
If small tank, carry rotopax,
Must carry tubes n tools,
6 scenic rest stops in between,
Survival kit, Camelpack and
Full riding DS gear recommended,
Endurance riding required
Lighter bike preferred,
Night riding is a possibility,

Last edited:
Group C: 6 riders max

Ride ahead of other groups,
No lunch stop, carry snacks only,
Gas stops in Santiago and Rayones,
If small tank, carry rotopax,
Must carry tubes n tools,
6 scenic rest stops in between,
Survival kit, Camelpack and
Full riding DS gear recommended,
Endurance riding required
Lighter bike preferred,
Night riding is a possibility,

Put me and Thomas in . KTM 450 and Honda 250. I assume this is an invitation right ?

Magdelena is fully booked by our trip. 48 beds, 32 rooms. If we have many more register I will start booking out the Hotel Jardin.

We'll split into groups of 15 for the ride. The last trip we had 30 or so and it was a wagon train. We overwhelmed lunch and gas stations, jaja. I had to become a taco chef at lunch in Montemorelos. I would suggest we split based on ability and experience into roughly these groups. I'll make sure we have an experienced Mexico ride leader for each group who knows the route.

Group A: The "traditional" group ride to Montemorelos for lunch, then Rayones, then quick 20 miles of offroad to Galeana (Peter)

Group B: The "traditional" group ride to Montemorelos for lunch, then Rayones, then Cienega Del Toro and DS Double Dragon into Galeana. 80 miles offroad. For intermediate riders capable of making good time on dirt (Rich?)

Group C: Smallest group of fastest riders with repeat Mexico experience taking the northern route through Santiago / Colla de Caballo. Split from the big group as early as China. Dawn to dusk experience. (Zeke?)

Group D: The "traditional" group ride to Montemorelos for lunch. Then street only to Galeana, unguided, but easy. For our 3 or 4 riders on street bikes and anyone who wants to avoid the 20 miles of dirt with a fully loaded bike. There is plenty of riding to do after you arrive in Galeana ~ 3pm.
I'm not sure if you are trying to fill up groups with this post, if so put me in group A plz?

Not trying to put folks in groups. We'll do that on site. It happens naturally.

Except Maybe for Zeke's group to the waterfall. But, if you're a pro at this (Vinny, Thomas) then don't add yourself to the count. Grab a couple more riders and make your own group!

Latest batch of adds, and one drop:

42. Frank F txox4 (with Scott Brown in chase truck)
43. Steve D Steved57
44. Chad F Chadf
45. Wade R wader50
46. Shawn Findley
47. Joseph H AttoireRE (with Scott Brown in chase truck)

Last edited:
Payment made. I'm tempted by the Zeke's group C opinion. I'll be aboard the 250 Rally for sure since I've confirmed it'll be extremely ideal for this type of trip (MexTrek)

Latest batch of adds, and one drop:

42. Frank F txox4 (with Scott Brown in chase truck)
43. Steve D Steved57
44. Chad F Chadf
45. Wade R wader50
46. Shawn Findley
47. Joseph H AttoireRE (with Scott Brown in chase truck)

Hey Pete, just a small point of clarification, Frank #42 will be on his KLR and Joseph #47 will be riding with me. We are OK with sharing the 3 bed room though. I think you emailed Joe about the room already, he should have confirmed that.

Thanks

And we're into the 50's!

43. Frank F txox4 - riding, not driving
44. Steve D Steved57
45. Chad F Chadf
46. Wade R wader50
47. Shawn Findley
48. Joseph H AttoireRE (with Scott Brown in chase truck)
49. Curtis J RockyRacoon
50. David B Dmbump
51. Everett F Fox
52. Ken M TGTumbleweed
53. Brandon M Brandon
54. Mike N Webnel

Last edited:
Group C:

1) Vinny
2) Danny
3) Webnel
4) Thomas
5) Kayakkawakid
6) _______________

We doing the same route next weekend http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114146
so if it looks good for more riders, we might add more for Mektrek...

Zeke,
I'm planning on doing a similar route but skipping Horsetail Falls. Probably cut up to Allende from Montemorelos and head up into the mountains from there, Pass through Trinidad, and then pick up your general route at Hwy 20.

There's a trail near Cienega de Gonzalez that has some ruins or something that caught my attention that I want to check out.

I'm also thinking about making a side trip up to La Cebolla.

If I make too many side trips, or stop too frequently for pictures, I may end up having to find some isolated creekbed trail or something and spend the night under the stars.

Zeke,
If I make too many side trips, or stop too frequently for pictures, I may end up having to find some isolated creekbed trail or something and spend the night under the stars.
yup for sure cuz we pushing it already via route C n d trinidad route will take u longer than horsetail falls for sure, its not a cakewalk, we have got stranded out there if u get any rain at all, super slick, i will look into la cebolla n those ruins near cienega, interesting...

Zeke,
I'm planning on doing a similar route but skipping Horsetail Falls. Probably cut up to Allende from Montemorelos and head up into the mountains from there, Pass through Trinidad, and then pick up your general route at Hwy 20.

There's a trail near Cienega de Gonzalez that has some ruins or something that caught my attention that I want to check out.

I'm also thinking about making a side trip up to La Cebolla.

Is there a route through from Trinidad to Cascada del Chipitin?

Or from Trinidad to Le Cebolla?

It looks like all forest on google. I keep meaning to take a day or two to explore this awesome area.

Last edited:
Is there a route through from Trinidad to Cascada del Chipitin? It looks like all forest on google.

Sounds like your describing Richard's Portrero Redondo route. The dirt starts off Hwy 20 at Puerto Genovevo, runs through Portreo Redondo, to La Trinidad and then out to Allende. Gina, Ken, Ivan and I rode it last year.

I can not find anything from La Trinidad to La Cebolla, but I am still looking...

Last edited:
yup for sure cuz we pushing it already via route C n d trinidad route will take u longer than horsetail falls for sure, its not a cakewalk, we have got stranded out there if u get any rain at all, super slick, i will look into la cebolla n those ruins near cienega, interesting...

Yeah, I hope it doesn't rain. It could get ugly. In any case, plans and routes can be changed depending on the situation. But, that road and those ruins have been on my mind and I gotta scratch that itch if and when I can!

Is there a route through from Trinidad to Cascada del Chipitin?

Or from Trinidad to Le Cebolla?

It looks like all forest on google. I keep meaning to take a day or two to explore this awesome area.

I don't think there's a North East/South West route between Trinidad and La Cebolla. If there is, it would most likely be one heck of a nasty goat trail. It's only 2 miles as the crow flies, but I'm not a crow. Looks to be some very rugged terrain that make up the valley walls.

There is a road between Cascada del Chipitin and Trinidad and as Zeke pointed out, it's a really nice road assuming you're on a smaller bike and it's not raining. (He didn't say that exactly but that's my obtuse interpretation of what he did say:rider:)

Cascada del Chipitin looks really nice. Much less touristy and congested than Horsetail, I suspect. I'd like to stop and check it out but only so many stops will fit. It looks like it'd be a bit of a hike to get to it and I probably won't want to change clothes or hike it in riding gear. Or leave my bike at the hiking trailhead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back