• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm just here for the mountains - the Great Divide Ride 2017

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Riders,

Now that the Great Divide Ride is in the history books, please share your stories and pictures in this thread. I'll get things started with a couple of pics.

Our group of 5 at the start of our 5 day ride - (l to r) Milton Otto, Jon Smiley, Mark Winer, Rich Gibbens (me) and Bob Lindner
P6110015-XL.jpg

This looks promising
P6110036_37_38_39_40-XL.jpg

Tricepilot Bob on the dual sport section of day 1
P6110050-XL.jpg

Communing with nature (and changing a flat tire)
P6110055-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Really been enjoying the wonderful pictures of the beautiful country you all have been enjoying. I must ask how many flats were fixed on this ride. Seems like 30% of the photos so far have someone on their knees or backs working on a flat...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really been enjoying the wonderful pictures of the beautiful country you all have been enjoying. I must ask how many flats were fixed on this ride. Seems like 30% of the photos so far have someone on their knees or backs working on a flat...

What was the best uniform to wear all day?

The sad truth of picture taking is that most of us don't stop anywhere near enough mid-ride to take pictures. Instead we take most of our pictures during the stops. The end result is an over-representation of pics at stops and not enough while riding. Ergo, 30% more pics of flat repairs than ride photos.

We are leaving Monday on NMBDR and forecast mainly highs around 95 but I know we will gain elevation in northern sections.Sorry I Missed your ride I had contractors working on my pool.

e22335cc4f15b359a9924d8caef2009c.jpg

Trail Boss and Subcomm in the desert of New Mexico

IMHO this was the best section of New Mexico that we rode

I was wondering for 2018 if my KTM 500 would be a good skoot for this ride, I think I have my answer. Yes indeed. Now to acquire a large tank, bags, and new tires w/ either tubliss or bibs (I hate flats). Appears to have been an epic ride.

I was wondering for 2018 if my KTM 500 would be a good skoot for this ride, I think I have my answer. Yes indeed. Now to acquire a large tank, bags, and new tires w/ either tubliss or bibs (I hate flats). Appears to have been an epic ride.

Bob and I were both riding 500 EXCs. While Bob has done multiple trips on his 500 it was the first long trip for me on mine. We both have 5.3 gallon tanks, aftermarket seats, and the ability to carry luggage.

In my opinion, the bikes did great. It's likely no surprise to anyone that the 500 is a particularly good dirt bike. However, I have happily discovered that the 500 is much better on pavement that I ever expected. The wide ratio 6 speed is the difference maker on this bike.

So is the 500 beating the 630 as an overall ADV dual sport?

So is the 500 beating the 630 as an overall ADV dual sport?

I don't think so.

At 260 lbs, the 500 is in the "dirt-bike-with-blinkers" category of bikes. The TE630 weighs 320 lbs and is in the "dual sport bike" category.

I continue to hold the opinion that the TE630 still tops the dual sport bike category. The KTM 690 / Husky 701 is only a wide ratio transmission away from toppling it though.

While the 500 is so much better on pavement that I anticipated, it likely would not be my first choice for long (one week or more) adventure rides that involved lots of pavement riding.

Did y'all take any pics of where you would need a bike like the 500 compared to a tenere on this ride ? I know the terrain always looks easier in pictures but from the pics of this ride it looks pretty tame . The reason I ask is because I would like to ride this but I really wouldn't want to haul my XR out there.

Last edited:
IMHO "Stony Hill" was the worst section of the entire ride

There were a few deep sand sections and a few deep loose gravel sections, but Stony Hill would take a team effort, for safety reasons

Bob and I were both riding 500 EXCs. While Bob has done multiple trips on his 500 it was the first long trip for me on mine. We both have 5.3 gallon tanks, aftermarket seats, and the ability to carry luggage.

In my opinion, the bikes did great. It's likely no surprise to anyone that the 500 is a particularly good dirt bike. However, I have happily discovered that the 500 is much better on pavement that I ever expected. The wide ratio 6 speed is the difference maker on this bike.

I am curious what tires you all were running on the 500 EXC's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the rock hill most big bikes had trouble on got few more i get posted later

pic really does not so it any justice

there was some pannier packing to go with it to and a little huffing and puffing
not much air around 9 or 10000 ft.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0193.jpg

Here's the rock hill most big bikes had trouble on got few more i get posted later

pic really does not so it any justice

there was some pannier packing to go with it to and a little huffing and puffing
not much air around 9 or 10000 ft.

View attachment 41669

View attachment 41670

View attachment 41671

Photos make that stretch look like a flat road, which I can't get my head around.

It was difficult to walk up in motorcycle boots, much less ride a big bike up

Fairly easy on a 500

Photos always make it look easier . That does look like it would be a handful .

Looks like fun. Who had the Africa Twin with the high front fender? Wondering how it works for you? Did it take anything away from high speed cruising?

Looks like fun. Who had the Africa Twin with the high front fender? Wondering how it works for you? Did it take anything away from high speed cruising?

That would be mine. Works fine for me. Depends what you consider high speed cruising.

I rode 470 miles today, most of it 80 ish in strong cross or headwinds. The only time the handling got a little nervous was passing tractor trailers with the strong cross winds. Not sure the fender would have made any difference or not.

I must ask how many flats were fixed on this ride. Seems like 30% of the photos so far have someone on their knees or backs working on a flat...

The sad truth of picture taking is that most of us don't stop anywhere near enough mid-ride to take pictures. Instead we take most of our pictures during the stops. The end result is an over-representation of pics at stops and not enough while riding. Ergo, 30% more pics of flat repairs than ride photos.
Flats..., and crashes.
And stop signs.
The most devout don't have time for pics.

Very cool, who's did you go with? The stock fender hasn't been a problem for me yet, but only had a single rain ride so far and that was hill country sand with a touch of surface clay, no thick mud yet.

Back