• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barstow to Vegas 2017 Planning Thread

What are the hotel locations where reservations need to be made?
Check out Meriden's post a few pages back. Basically you need to be in Palmdale on thanksgiving night, then the following nights in Barstow and Las Vegas. The easy way for us Texas guys is to stay at the Orleans the day (or two) before Thanksgiving and moto out to Palmdale to start the ride, leaving your vehicle in the Orleans' parking lot.

I suggest making a spreadsheet with the hard travel dates (i.e. LAB2V dates) and decide how long you want to take getting out there and getting back. Its not rocket science: 1-2 days TX>LAS, 1-2day LAS>palmdale, LAB2V then 1-2 days LAS>TX.
I am doing the free dispersed camping in the National Forests between TX and LAS

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Anyone planning to hit some other riding areas as they head across that way? I did the enduro race in Cloudcroft on my way across in 2015. Was a fun tune up ride, and broke the trip up a bit. I am also a fan of going out to SoCal a few days early if possible, so you can ride at Ocotillo Wells or the Johnson Valley OHV areas. Great way to get your West coast riding legs solidly under you. Have your sand & desert riding skilz all sharpened up for the LAB2V run. And get one last shot at sorting out any last minute bike needs. If you do go early, a trip to Chapparal motosports in Riverside is almost mandatory. Plan on spending a few hours wondering thru the ultimate dirt bikers parts & accessories cornucopia. I rarely get out in less than 4 hours, and still don't feel like I really saw everything they offer.

I am going to use this race as prep

https://www.texasdesertracing.com/2017-texana-180-race-to-midnight-event-info/

If you are scared of the link its to TEXAS DESERT RACING ASSOC's race flyer for the Texana 180. The flyer is a little confusing, but bikes get a pre-run on Friday, then a 100mi race on Saturday morning. No membership or anything for the motos, just pay your $100 and race!

Then we can kick back and watch some buggies and trucksand be glad they arent on our heels!

Last edited:
I am going to use this race as prep

https://www.texasdesertracing.com/2017-texana-180-race-to-midnight-event-info/

If you are scared of the link its to TEXAS DESERT RACING ASSOC's race flyer for the Texana 180. The flyer is a little confusing, but bikes get a pre-run on Friday, then a 100mi race on Saturday morning. No membership or anything for the motos, just pay your $100 and race!

Then we can kick back and watch some buggies and trucksand be glad they arent on our heels!

May be a dumb question, but where will that race take place? I may be interested...

Last edited:
Well I've officially invested in the trip, so unless something big comes up, it's a go for me. Let the evil looks from my mother-in-law begin. (She hates it when I miss Thanksgiving.) I'll wait to make reservations at the Orleans until after the registration. Now all I have left is sorting out how to get out there and where to ride along the way.

Registration for 2017 is not up yet, but as I recall is posted in mid-summer. Unlike Barstow hotel reservations, there is no need to rush on the ride registration... just don't wait too long.

Time to order all those farkles and start bike prep. For me that's a bigger tank, extra light and fresh tubes. Sunset is around 4:40 so getting caught in the dark is a real possibility. I'm not sure I'll make the switch to Lectron before then, but it sure is tempting.

Finally, a ride is organizing for Hidden Falls sometime after the 4th weekend. Not sure of the dates yet.

m

Well I've officially invested in the trip, so unless something big comes up, it's a go for me. Let the evil looks from my mother-in-law begin. (She hates it when I miss Thanksgiving.) I'll wait to make reservations at the Orleans until after the registration. Now all I have left is sorting out how to get out there and where to ride along the way.

Registration for 2017 is not up yet, but as I recall is posted in mid-summer. Unlike Barstow hotel reservations, there is no need to rush on the ride registration... just don't wait too long.

Time to order all those farkles and start bike prep. For me that's a bigger tank, extra light and fresh tubes. Sunset is around 4:40 so getting caught in the dark is a real possibility. I'm not sure I'll make the switch to Lectron before then, but it sure is tempting.

Finally, a ride is organizing for Hidden Falls sometime after the 4th weekend. Not sure of the dates yet.

m
I have a HF pass so if a week day works if I am off I can get yall in. You will still have to sign in and pay the ride fees but I dont!![emoji12]

I have a HF pass so if a week day works if I am off I can get yall in. You will still have to sign in and pay the ride fees but I dont!![emoji12]

I'll let you know.

No interest? I'm reg'd and ready.

Interested, but I can't pull it off due to business. Looks like there are some other opportunities coming up. I'm still looking for that Class 11 ride.

Ok 86 of you sign up right quick, so i can get #87, which is my racing number. Managed to do it on my first LAB2V but lost count and missed getting it the next couple years. Maybe this time it will work out again. Pretty sure I get extra ride karma points for randomly finessing ones race number out of almost 600 online entrants.

Just so yall can have it on your brains... I am considering (after seeing how this 100mi TDRA race goes) doing the Parker 250 and maybe the Vegas to Reno in 2018. Realistically they are like doing a day of LAB2V and all of LAB2V distance wise, but obviously the effort would be much higher. Just something to think about if you have the itch to get back to the Mojave soon whether riding or watching.

I'd like to do the Vegas to Reno and the Big Bear. But if I get too into this I'm going to have to buy a garage in Las Vegas.
Awesome! V2R sounds like a great race. My wife has given me the green for V2R, just have to see...

I'd like to do the Vegas to Reno and the Big Bear. But if I get too into this I'm going to have to buy a garage in Las Vegas.
Big Bear Run was last weekend so you have a min 1 year wait. I was riding Rim of the World highway last Sunday and saw plenty of orange bumper ornaments. Only afterwards did I find out why.

_

V2R sounds very interesting. When does it run? On plated or pure racing dirt bikes? What is the aproximate mileage to be done in one day? I assume it begins at first light. Is it a race or a ride? If race, are there timed interval starts or or is it a flag dropping free for all race start. How 'bout over 60 class?
Yup, I am interested...

V2R is mid August I think, and is in the relm of 550mi.

You could do a plated bike, but its a BITD race and no plate required.

Start is timed, individual start. Winner based on elapsed time.

Last edited:
550 miles of full August heat desert in a day huh. Dont think my 60 year old self could finish that one. IF we weren't talking about the dog days of summer, it would be fun to do the start, and go as far as feasible. I know I can't ride non-stop hard core dirt for 550 miles, even in the coolest of weather. That August desert heat would almost certainly put me into full lock up with muscle cramps before ever seeing the 250 mile mark.

550 miles of full August heat desert in a day huh. Dont think my 60 year old self could finish that one. IF we weren't talking about the dog days of summer, it would be fun to do the start, and go as far as feasible. I know I can't ride non-stop hard core dirt for 550 miles, even in the coolest of weather. That August desert heat would almost certainly put me into full lock up with muscle cramps before ever seeing the 250 mile mark.
You wont know if you dont try![emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji6]

Back