• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Ride-On does not rubberize and it is not a liquid. It remains viscous at all times, that is how it acts as a continuous spin balancer. I use it more for that property than its tire sealant abilities. It will not seal anything other than the smallest prick punctures. So as Bob stated don't bank on it as a safeguard. Just a teeny level of protection for flats (if you're lucky). I have on more than one occasion removed a worn out tire and found a small residue of Ride-On between the tire and tube. So clearly I had a thorn or tack puncture that the Ride-On did seal.

_

If the nail wasn't long enough to penetrate the cushioning layer of ride-on, then it might well have kept any air from escaping the tube. Thus keeping the tube from further unraveling under the stress of rolling on a flat tire. So much for theories... Glad you got it sorted without issue.

Ride-On does not rubberize and it is not a liquid. It remains viscous at all times, that is how it acts as a continuous spin balancer. I use it more for that property than its tire sealant abilities

:tab Interesting. The removed tire that I saw clearly had a coating that went all the way around the inside center few inches of the tire, but not up onto the sidewalls. "Rubberized" was the only way I could think of to describe it. From what I have seen, it is not anywhere near as messy as the Slime, which stays runny and wet. It also tends to gunk up valve cores in the stem.

:tab I don't use either, but I know some folks swear by them.

[edit]

Here's a link to their FB page that shows what I am talking about. They say it forms a gel but stays liquid... Not sure how that works :scratch:

https://www.facebook.com/RideonTireSealant/posts/1261367840589837

Last edited:
i-RL2LWMP-L.jpg

Mark Winer getting his flat fixing game on while I channel Namaste from the forest virgins. Or whatever.

Is the Mad Scientist Tire Academy still active?
I ride on a heavy dual sport (Triumph Tiger 800 XC), and I've never fixed a flat tier.
I'm from Austin, but I'm willing to drive a few hours if necessary.
In addition, I have no problem to pay for the training.

Thanks

If so, please let me know once the next session is scheduled.
I'm planning to join the MexTrek #6, and I feel insecure going there without that knowledge

Is the Mad Scientist Tire Academy still active?
I ride on a heavy dual sport (Triumph Tiger 800 XC), and I've never fixed a flat tier.
I'm from Austin, but I'm willing to drive a few hours if necessary.
In addition, I have no problem to pay for the training.

Thanks

Yup - MSTA is always in full swing mode. No charge for training.

I did 30 KLR Doohickie mods for the TWTEX community, and didn't charge for those either.

What are you running on the Tiger in terms of tires?

Is the a link to a recommended flat tire kit, including the Baja No Pinch Tire Tool?

Both Metzener Karoo 3 (90/90-21 and 150/70-17)

Those are tubeless tires.

You're going to want to be able to plug those with the best plug kit made for any vehicle - the Safety Seal brand

They make regular and slim plugs. Be prepared with rubber cement as an additional step if needed. I can show you all of this at Casa Tricepilot. I have a practice tire and all the stuff.

There are other tubeless topics such as patching from the inside and installing an emergency tube. We can go over all of that.

Im not sure I understand.
The tires are indeed tubeless, but I believe I have tubes installed.
I thought patching (and using rubber cement) are required only for pure tubeless setup

I will be happy to to pay Casa Tricepilot a visit.
is there a session planned for the coming few weeks?

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd run them tubeless and carry a plug kit Fastest and simplest tire repair known to man unless the puncture is not plugable.

I can show you how to use the best plug kit available, and you can use my tubeless tire for practice with the Safety Seal stuff

Lots of riders carry a tube in the event their tubeless tire is not plug-able. I had a gash in the rear tire on my GSA that was not plugable. But you have to be prepared to completely remove the tire from the rim, and tubeless tires can be notoriously difficult unless the ideal technique is used.

Then tube practice it is

There are lots of good tire guys in Austin - JT, Trail Boss to name some

I'll be back in the area at the end of the month if you don't connect with one of these guys

I'm always game for a refresh on the MSTA! And the shrimp cocktails by Trice's house :clap: Guess this is an excuse to get some new tires

If so, please let me know once the next session is scheduled.
I'm planning to join the MexTrek #6, and I feel insecure going there without that knowledge

+1 interested party for a MSTA session at Casa TricePilot or in Austin in the coming months ahead of MexTrek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can talk about an Austin location, I don't mind coming up on a Saturday since I'm training on kettlebells on Burnet from time to time.

I'll be out of pocket in Colorado beginning Labor Day weekend through the following week riding the COBDR

If BrotherWolf or Patrick or Shailurie wants to take the lead on a proposed hosting site and a date we can pencil this in early and get the word out.

I'll bring the full tire kit and the training assembly to the party. We can go out for a lunch or dinner too.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with the "Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker"?
Is it recommended?
Can I use then as tire spoons as well?

Does anyone have experience with the "Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker"?

Is it recommended?

Can I use then as tire spoons as well?

I have them, they work like a champ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have them, they work like a champ.

+1

Do you keep tire spoons in addition, or use them as your spoons?

The tire spoon ends on the tool are excellent. I just grab one more spoon as I prefer to use three spoons whenever possible. I have nicer/better Motion Pro spoons but never use them anymore. The bead breaker spoons do it all.

I also have a set of the smaller and lighter MP aluminum bead breakers I carry on the bike. Had to use them once in Mexico and worked like a charm on a 110/80-19 tubeless tire. It was a very hot day so tire was quite warm though.

Tips:
1) Never lube or wet the tire before using these bead breaker tools. 10X easier to break the bead on a dry tire.

2) If you use Ride-On tire sealant/balancer no need to carry tire lube with you. Just dip your finger in the Ride-On goo inside the tire and use it for lube. For a tubed tire just remove the valve stem and squeeze the tube to dispense goo.

_

Anyone game for a refresh on tire changing? Got a new bike and some new tires to mount up too. Gonna load up some Ride-On (which I've never done) as well. I still haven't bought the Baja tool, so...uh...Trice, when is good for you ;-)

Anyone game for a refresh on tire changing? Got a new bike and some new tires to mount up too. Gonna load up some Ride-On (which I've never done) as well. I still haven't bought the Baja tool, so...uh...Trice, when is good for you ;-)

Any time in August is good except for the Hotter 'N **** 100 bike ride weekend (25-27)

I can come up to Austin for this is someone wants to host at their place :trust:

https://media.giphy.com/media/HFngCj1IRdOxi/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back