• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a set of small soft BILT bags from Cycle Gear. [url said:
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/bilt-saddlebags[/url] On sale for $49.
1. Where do you keep your tools?
2. How and when will the riding groups be defined?
3. How long did it take to cross the border last time? Won't it take half a day with 100(!) riders?

Last edited:
1. Tool share among my friends works well. My favorite tool is my credit card. I carry flat, phillips screw drivers, 8 10 12 tee, 14,17,19 rachet closed end wrenches, spoons, tubes, crescent wrench, allen key, zip ties, epoxy putty, and elec tape. It all goes in my little backpack.

2. TBD. Group size of 15, plus or minus, is just for the ride in. We may sort this out in advance via email given group size. This has always been very fluid and people gravitate to their happy part of the spectrum. Once in Galeana groups of 4 to 8 tend to form based on interest and ability and freindship. Return trip to border is usually figured out amongst friends.

3. Border crossing going south is very easy, assuming you have permits prior to arrival (either by mail or at border on Wednesday) . If you have permits it is usually a wave to pass or a quick cursory look in pockets and bags. At the 20 km checkpoint into Mexico they may search, but they are more likely to be "at lunch" with the post unmanned. Gang activity is the variable. No issues, little reason to search at checkpoints. We'll stagger from the hotel based on length of intended ride, longest first at 7am, shortest at 8am. If you are totally unprepared prior to departure they can process about 15 to 20 riders an hour at the border, if you have nothing in advance. IIRC, they open at 6am on the Mex side. So even if you have stateside travel disruption and murphy's law is enacted, you can, in a pinch, get your paperwork done at 6am, eat a quick breakfast, gas up, and still join the direct route 8am departure.

Last edited:
Just have to say, clearly and plainly, that anyone without paperwork, tvip, and visa by 9 pm Wednesday will be on their own and we will not hold up a group for unprepared stragglers. I'll hand you a route map, wish you the best, and hope you can dig yourself out of the hole. But so there is no misunderstanding, failure to plan and prepare is unacceptable. Being unprepared and last minute is my job. No one gets to steal my glory.

That said I am 99% certain we'll have a ride leader taking a very small group from Mission to Galeana on Friday. So anyone needing an extra day will have a backup plan available.

Last edited:
Jajaja, No Crying!
f1f379bd6a08b3a59338ad4f2a6b311b.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Is it possible to issue a Visa and TVIP not on the border?

Last edited:
The TVIP can be gotten through the mail and I got one the first time I went down there from the consulate in Dallas. I tried to get the visa thing there too, but it seemed as though it was turning into a hassle so I got it at the border. I don't think it was any easier to get the TVIP at the consulate than it was to get it at the border like I did on my second trip.

Thanks! Looks like I will get them at the border on Wednesday.
Any idea till what time are visas and TVIP issued in the border?

I talked to a Guy who works at the Consulate here in Kansas City. Yes, we have one in Missouri. He said they didn't issue vehicle import paperwork, only at locations closer to the border, and on the border. He said he'd show me how to prepare everything needed online if I stopped in. Planning on paying him a visit next week.

Thanks John. Apparently there is a consulate in Austin as well.
Will pay them a visit and share the info

Just an FYI for folks:

I went to the Mexican consulate here in Austin about a week ago. I had a valid passport, the title and registration for my bike with photocopies, my license, credit card, and I even had some kind of bill with my home address.

There was no line and the woman was nice, but she said I had to fill out something else first, the "Pre-autorizacion migratoria," before she could process any of the vehicle permit and bond, and that pre-auth apparently could not be done right there. So she was unable to help me get the permit/bond that day.

The site she directed me to for the pre-auth (which is maybe like a travel visa?) was:

www.inm.gob.mx/pae

She also told me that when I get the bond, that money will be charged to my credit card (not just posted, as I understood it), and that we should alert the credit card that a charge would be coming in pesos so it wasn't flagged/declined. Not sure if this is correct information, but that's what she told me at the consulate.

She said the whole thing was easier to do online and recommended I do it that way. Note: I am NOT an authority on this, have never taken a motorcycle to Mexico, and it's possible I did not do something correctly. I am not trying to contradict anything anyone else has said on the subject. But I just wanted to share that information with folks to save them some time if they are planning on going to the consulate here in Austin. I plan to do the whole thing online soon, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If anyone else has anything to add on the paperwork side, I'm happy to hear it.

Happy riding...

Stephen

Thanks! Looks like I will get them at the border on Wednesday.
Any idea till what time are visas and TVIP issued in the border?

Border office closes at 9. So does the toll bridge. It is possible to get stuck on the Mexican side and have to take a 15 mile drive through Reynosa to the 24 hour crossing in McAllen. It's not horrible, this happened to us 2 years ago.

I would recommend getting to the permit office on the Mexican side of the bridge during daytime hours, maybe 6 or 7 at the latest. Take a truck and 4 or 5 guys to make the process easiest. This is always an option, but in the last 2 crossings at night we've had opportunistic agents ask for bribes for things that were standard issue and we knew we were getting fleeced. Same guy, 8 Am the next morning, supervisor on site, everything went smooth. Just knocked back our departure time.

Just an FYI for folks:

I went to the Mexican consulate here in Austin about a week ago. I had a valid passport, the title and registration for my bike with photocopies, my license, credit card, and I even had some kind of bill with my home address.

There was no line and the woman was nice, but she said I had to fill out something else first, the "Pre-autorizacion migratoria," before she could process any of the vehicle permit and bond, and that pre-auth apparently could not be done right there. So she was unable to help me get the permit/bond that day.

The site she directed me to for the pre-auth (which is maybe like a travel visa?) was:

www.inm.gob.mx/pae

She also told me that when I get the bond, that money will be charged to my credit card (not just posted, as I understood it), and that we should alert the credit card that a charge would be coming in pesos so it wasn't flagged/declined. Not sure if this is correct information, but that's what she told me at the consulate.

She said the whole thing was easier to do online and recommended I do it that way. Note: I am NOT an authority on this, have never taken a motorcycle to Mexico, and it's possible I did not do something correctly. I am not trying to contradict anything anyone else has said on the subject. But I just wanted to share that information with folks to save them some time if they are planning on going to the consulate here in Austin. I plan to do the whole thing online soon, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If anyone else has anything to add on the paperwork side, I'm happy to hear it.

Happy riding...

Stephen

The two items needed are:

Tourist Visa (Migratoria I think)
TVIP

At the border they first have you fill out a visa form, 180 days. Then they send you to the next counter, with your passport and unpaid visa form. They initiate the TVIP, you get copies, go back to get a stamp for the visa, and then make the deposit and pay fees.

Banjercito is the agency issuing the TVIP. Mexican government is the one issuing the visa. Sounds like you got mixed up in a catch 22 latin american loop of visa vs TVIP.

MexTrek seems really official. I booked a suite with 2 double beds at the Clarion in Mission, TX. I should arrive there sometime on Wednesday to sort out the border crossing paperwork, etc. If anyone wants to split the room, send me a message. The description online says up to 4 Adults. From the photos, there are palm trees out in the courtyard. I'd be satisfied to string my hammock up, but I needed somewhere to park my Truck for the week. Let's Go!

The last time I went down to Mexico I got down to Mission the day before departure and immediately headed down to the border office to square away my paperwork. I had everything I needed paperwork wise and more importantly I had my official translator Paco (Texter) with me. Having Paco with me was a godsend otherwise I'd have been completely lost moving from one line to the other etc.

So, since my driving must of terrified my sidekick and he refuses to go anywhere with me anymore I'm hoping I can find another friendly translator that I can tag along with on Wednesday afternoon to get my TVIP and paperwork squared away.

Any takers?

The last time I went down to Mexico I got down to Mission the day before departure and immediately headed down to the border office to square away my paperwork. I had everything I needed paperwork wise and more importantly I had my official translator Paco (Texter) with me. Having Paco with me was a godsend otherwise I'd have been completely lost moving from one line to the other etc.

So, since my driving must of terrified my sidekick and he refuses to go anywhere with me anymore I'm hoping I can find another friendly translator that I can tag along with on Wednesday afternoon to get my TVIP and paperwork squared away.

Any takers?

Now that you've done it, you can do it again! You'll be fine. No biggie if you get in the wrong line, someone will point you in the right direction, for sure!

Have a great trip!

Now that you've done it, you can do it again! You'll be fine. No biggie if you get in the wrong line, someone will point you in the right direction, for sure!

Have a great trip!

I wish I'd paid more attention then instead of just following Paco around and handing papers over when asked. :doh:

I'm sure I'll be fine. Just thought it would be easier with someone bilingual. It's the 'lazy' in me. ;-)

Its getting close to our trip! Lets revisit the required legal documentation you will need!

Passport (I use my passport card)
Vehicle Registration -- NOTE, your title is NOT required. You need the normal printed receipt for your current registration
Driver's Licence
Mexican Vehicle Insurance
FMM (personal tourist visa)
TVIP (visa for your vehicle)

Just a friendly reminder: you really want Mexican Insurance when in Mexico. It's not just the law, it can seriously save your butt. I personally use https://www.bajabound.com/ and maintain a annual "ACE Seguros PLATINUM" policy. It costs me $430/ year, and I go into Mexico quite regularly. This is full coverage for my 2015 KTM 690 Enduro with a declared value of $10k, and includes stuff like emergency medical evacuation, $1000 of towing, legal fee/representation protection, etc, etc. Highly recommended. This same full coverage policy for my bike on our 3 day trip would cost about $55.00.

ALSO!!

You can apply for your FMM Tourist Card and TVIP vehicle permits online. Here is some information on how to do it, if you want to save a little time with your border paperwork.
We cross the border at "Puente Internacional Anzaldúas," our destination is the "Hotel Magdalena in Galeana, NL" -- bits of information you'll need to know whether filling out the FMM in person or online. I have never personally applied online; I always just go to the physical office in Mexico and have had only minor inconveniences, none of which were insurmountable.

Here is a great walk through for how to get the FMM document online:
https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php -- link provided by Baja Bound insurance.
Here is the official Mexican Government site where you apply for the FMM permit:
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Here is a great walk through for how to get the TVIP document online:
https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/vehicle-import-permit.html
Here is the official Mexican Government site where you apply for the TVIP permit:
https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

One reason to consider getting your permits online is because the officials at the border are not always 100% honest, and many of us have been "forced" to buy a 6 month visa for $500pesos (about $30), when you can get a FREE 7 day tourist visa when entering by land, as we are on our trip.
"I'm sorry sir, we do not offer the free permits at this office...."

For whatever its worth, I buy the 6 month/ 180 day visa. and reuse it throughout the year. This once was frowned upon or illegal, but the INM delegate for Baja California (Norte) announced in September 2015 that the FMM is now valid for multiple entry for land travel in Baja California only. We are not going to Baja, but I choose to do this anyway.

While on the subject, I personally have found that I get the best Dollars-to-Peso exchange rate when using local ATM's, provided I buy $3,000 to $5,000 pesos at a time. With my bank (a normal Wells Fargo checking account) the functional exchange rate is about $17 pesos to $1 USD after fees, etc. I would expect to spend less that $5000 on this trip; probably less than $3,000 pesos. $5,000 pesos is a bit less than $300 (after exchange fees, etc). Gasoline probably is going to cost aprox $3.70/ gallon most of the time. Aside from our hotel and food (and beer) there's not much to spend your money on in Galeana.

Remember to contact your bank and your phone service before crossing the border so you don't get any hick-ups to these important services! I use AT&T for my mobile phone and they offer free unlimited calls and text from Mexico to the US, plus I consume data normally there (no roaming fees), albeit with slightly slower speeds. Expect to not have cell phone coverage about half the time, but it's generally there in some form of weak signal in most small towns.
I also carry a DeLorme inReach satellite tracker with texting capabilities. The one time I *REALLY* wished I had it, I didn't, and now make it a point to try to keep the battery charged and on me.

One final thought,
With over 100 riders registered to attend, we need to break up into smaller groups to not overwhelm the local roads, officials, lunch stops, gas stops, etc, etc... Sid Shaddack and I are leading the 2nd group leaving McAllen. Our driving style in Mexico is: drive about 70mph most of the time, lane split in towns and at stop lights, pass aggressively on highways, absolutely NEVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND. I'll have my SENA headset and small HAM radio linked, and we'll have a rider safety meeting before taking off, coordinating our radios/COMs for anyone that (optionally) wishes to do so. We tend to go quick and a bit more on the aggressive side, but we also stay together. This of course is adjusted according to the conditions and the needs of our group, but just a heads up that even though our group is leaving a bit later than the first group, we will not be the slow one. So in other words, we'll be getting a relaxed breakfast and coffee before taking off, then hauling butt.

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all there!

Last edited:
Its getting close to our trip! Lets revisit the required legal documentation you will need!

Passport (I use my passport card)
Vehicle Registration -- NOTE, your title is NOT required. You need the normal printed receipt for your current registration
Driver's Licence
Mexican Vehicle Insurance
FMM (personal tourist visa)
TVIP (visa for your vehicle)

Just a friendly reminder: you really want Mexican Insurance when in Mexico. It's not just the law, it can seriously save your butt. I personally use https://www.bajabound.com/ and maintain a annual "ACE Seguros PLATINUM" policy. It costs me $430/ year, and I go into Mexico quite regularly. This is full coverage for my 2015 KTM 690 Enduro with a declared value of $10k, and includes stuff like emergency medical evacuation, $1000 of towing, legal fee/representation protection, etc, etc. Highly recommended.

ALSO!!

You can apply for your FMM Tourist Card and TVIP vehicle permits online. Here is some information on how to do it, if you want to save a little time with your boarder paperwork.
We cross the boarder at "Puente Internacional Anzaldúas," our destination is the "Hotel Magdalena in Galeana, NL" -- bits of information you'll need to know whether filling out the FMM in person or online. I have never personally applied online; I always just go to the physical office in Mexico and have had only minor inconveniences, none of which were insurmountable.

Here is a great walk through for how to get the FMM document online:
https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php -- link provided by Baja Bound insurance.
Here is the official Mexican Government site where you apply for the FMM permit:
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Here is a great walk through for how to get the TVIP document online:
https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/vehicle-import-permit.html
Here is the official Mexican Government site where you apply for the TVIP permit:
https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

One reason to consider getting your permits online is because the officials at the boarder are not always 100% honest, and many of us have been "forced" to buy a 6 month visa for $500pesos, when you can get a FREE 7 day tourist visa when entering by land, as we are on our trip.
"I'm sorry sir, we do not offer the free permits at this office...."

For whatever its worth, I buy the 6 month/ 180 day visa. and reuse it throughout the year. This once was frowned upon or illegal, but the INM delegate for Baja California (Norte) announced in September 2015 that the FMM is now valid for multiple entry for land travel in Baja California only. We are not going to Baja, but I choose to do this anyway.

While on the subject, I personally have found that I get the best Dollars-to-Peso exchange rate when using local ATM's, provided I buy $3,000 to $5,000 pesos at a time. With my bank (a normal Wells Fargo checking account) the functional exchange rate is about $17 pesos to $1 USD after fees, etc. I would expect to spend less that $5000 on this trip; probably less than $3,000 pesos. $5,000 pesos is a bit less than $300 (after exchange fees, etc). Gasoline probably is going to cost aprox $3.70/ gallon most of the time. Aside from our hotel and food (and beer) there's not much to spend your money on in Galeana.

Remember to contact your bank and your phone service before crossing the boarder so you don't get any hick-ups to these important services! I use AT&T for my mobile phone and they offer free unlimited calls and text from Mexico to the US, plus I consume data normally there (no roaming fees), albeit with slightly slower speeds. Expect to not have cell phone coverage about half the time, but it's generally there in some form of weak signal in most small towns.

One final thought, Sid Shaddack and I are leading the 2nd group leaving McAllen. Our driving style in Mexico is: drive about 70mph most of the time, lane split in towns and at stop lights, pass aggressively on highways, absolutely NEVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND. I'll have my SENA headset and small HAM radio linked, and we'll have a rider meeting before taking off, coordinating our coms for anyone that (optionally) wishes to do so. We tend to go quick and maybe a bit more on the aggressive side, but we also stay together. This of course is adjusted according to the conditions and the needs of our group, but just a heads up that even though our group is leaving a bit later than the first group, we will not be the slow one. So in other words, we'll be getting a relaxed breakfast and coffee before taking off, then hauling ***.

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all there!
Great info! Thanks

Wedding (not mine) has appeared on the schedule. I'm out for the trip .
I'll be watching to see how you guys do.
Sorry again Thomas .

I've been thinking abut bailing on this for quite some time. I think I'll go ahead and pull the plug so folks will know more about how to plan. Y'all have fun.

One of our friends will probably miss the trip. He had a mishap in Montana. He is smart to have Medjet to take him back to his home hospital.
I'll let him post if he wants to share the details.

I'm adding the link here. Do your research . $99 for a week. $270 for a year.

www.medjetassist.com
As Vinny said earlier, I ain't going to make it. I was riding the CDT from Santa Fe to Canada in July when I had a "mis-mount" in Helena, MT and broke my hip & pelvis. No weight bearing on my right leg until mid October so riding a week later is not in the cards. Thanks to MedJet I was in my home hospital the next day. I have seen 5 yr policies on their site but will be contacting them to see about a lifetime membership. As long as I am able to travel I will have it. See you next year.

Kenny

Hey, I didn't mean to start something.

If you're not going, I'm not going. I couldn't stand to be there without you.

As Vinny said earlier, I ain't going to make it. I was riding the CDT from Santa Fe to Canada in July when I had a "mis-mount" in Helena, MT and broke my hip & pelvis. No weight bearing on my right leg until mid October so riding a week later is not in the cards. Thanks to MedJet I was in my home hospital the next day. I have seen 5 yr policies on their site but will be contacting them to see about a lifetime membership. As long as I am able to travel I will have it. See you next year.

Kenny

Sorry for your misfortune, but I'm glad you were well prepared for the eventuality. My policy is on the corner of my desk as I type this. Your story makes spending the money a little more palatable. Do you have a ride report somewhere? I'd love to read the long version. Hope you heal well.

I'm also pulling plug and not going.

Had been thinking about it for a quite a while because of the large size of the group and the small size of Galeana.

Recently found out my boss and mentors surprise retirement party is the 28th, which trumps a weekend ride to Galeana.

Have fun guys!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Capping the list at 100 means 20% will back out for normal reasons, in advance. Another 10% will have last minute complications. Another 5% are just not capable of figuring out all the little pieces on the timeline. So, even thought we have 100 on the list, maybe 65 will actually end up going. Galeana can support that. That's about 6 groups of 10. There are ~6 restaurants, ~6 breakfast spots, ~1.6 taco stands, ~6 policemen, ~6 gas pumps, and ~26 routes to ride. Should be fine. On Zeke's wise council, Galeana hotels, restaurants, and infrastructure will definitely be expecting us. And having putted around there a bit, it is a little larger than you might first think from the outlook of the square.

Also, 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot, so I expect to hear counter arguments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back