• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not have to have your bike with you. I did not have mine. If you have an appointment, you probably know that Bancercito closes at 1 pm, not at 5 with the rest of the consulate (learned that the hard way). If you have the pre-auth, along with the other documentation you listed, you will be good -- that's what I had. They were particularly interested in the registration. They did not ask for my insurance (Mexican or US) but I had it just in case. I would specify the border entrance because they put Nuevo Laredo on mine, although I'm not sure it matters now. They don't take discover. They do take Visa. Have a great trip!

5 of us in galeana today. The pemex in rayones is still closed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You do not have to have your bike with you. I did not have mine. If you have an appointment, you probably know that Bancercito closes at 1 pm, not at 5 with the rest of the consulate (learned that the hard way). If you have the pre-auth, along with the other documentation you listed, you will be good -- that's what I had. They were particularly interested in the registration. They did not ask for my insurance (Mexican or US) but I had it just in case. I would specify the border entrance because they put Nuevo Laredo on mine, although I'm not sure it matters now. They don't take discover. They do take Visa. Have a great trip!
I tried the Mexican consolute in San Antonio but no luck for border crossing logistics. I plan to be in Mission around noon on Wednesday and will try to do all paperwork then.

Some of the experienced people have said not to worry, you can get it all done there.

I hope so (or I will have a nice four day vacation in good ole South Texas)!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Galeana
ffb9e914c85c8d8c3daea328a06270dc.jpg

What post number is the spread sheet for the hotel rooms and names for each room?

Not sure about a post, but saw an email on oct 10. You might look for that.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Galeana
ffb9e914c85c8d8c3daea328a06270dc.jpg

Don't get too burnt out, I found a route south of of Santa Ines and need a crew to explore it with me. Might be some serious bushwhacking involved. :trust:

I sent an email about 2 hours ago with updated rooms. At this point we have about 15 extra rooms so room reservations aren't so much of a necessity.

As I said in the email, anyone arriving in McAllen (Mission) on Wednesday should head to the hotel, get checked in, get permits if not already in hand (best to go in a group in a truck that has been cleansed of contraband), and then...

JOIN US AT MAMABO'S on Interstate 2, a half mile east of Shary Blvd (the main n /s road the hotel is on) from 5 to 10 for food, drinks, and to pick up your tee shirts!

If it's your first time to mission and you are just getting in to town and feeling lost or confuused about what you should do just come straight to Mambo's and we'll get an interpretive ADV dancer to walk you through the border motions!!

Also in the email:

Other business:

1. If you are still getting this email and are NOT planning on attending please reply ASAP so I can adjust for the riders on the trip.

2. Find your name on the attached room roster. If you want a single room or want a change send me an email. We have 20+ singles available.

3. If you are riding with JT or Steve on the "expert" ride into Galeana by way of Santiago please be sure they know you are planning to ride with them and you are prepared according to JT's post.

4. If you need a room at the Clarion Wednesday night we have 2 rooms that are paid for and will not be used. Send me an email if you want to take over one of these rooms.

5. If you are planning on doing the "extra" trip after Mextrek 6, even if you've told me this already and are my bestest friend in the whole wide world even, send me an email titled: "EXTRA TRIP" so I can get you on the distribution list for sure. I need a firm firm headcount.

6. If you do not want your name, handle, cell phone number, and emergency contact info sent to this distribution list please let me know via email. i will send a cheat sheet and bring printed copies to the ride so we can do headcounts, contact in case of emergency, etc... old guys...bring bifocals, haha.

7. Get your bike paperwork, gps files, offline maps, passport, driver's license, and other key items in order now. Copies of passports, TDL and titles are a bonus.

8. Contact your credit card companies and let them know you'll be travelling out of the country.

9. Check your cell phone plans. Most companies offer free service for texts and calls while you are in Mexico for free. And some have free data.

10. Take the last few days to load up and take a spin on your bike. Let the issues you find while close to home not be issues we find while group riding at the Mexico border. Get your cold weather gear ready. Lows in the high 40's. Highs in the mid 80's.

That's all for now. I'll be in Phoenix Sunday, San Antnoio Monday, Austin Tuesday, and McAllen around noon Wednesday. 281-772-1211 via text or phone is the best way to catch me going forward.

If it's your first time to mission and you are just getting in to town and feeling lost or confuused about what you should do just come straight to Mambo's and we'll get an interpretive ADV dancer to walk you through the border motions!!

This may be a silly question, but does the border have a 'closing time' in reference to obtaining your VISA / TVIP? People obviously cross back and forth at all hours but I did not know if this process was limited to certain business hours of the day.

Thank you Peter and all others for answering these questions for us noob's. :eek2:

Well, I'm out.
I discovered a mechanical issue on the bike that will not be able to be taken care of in time.
I will be heading down as soon as I get it repaired. Hopefully within a few weeks.

Ya'll have fun, be safe, and post up some pics!

Well, I'm out.
I discovered a mechanical issue on the bike that will not be able to be taken care of in time.
I will be heading down as soon as I get it repaired. Hopefully within a few weeks.

Ya'll have fun, be safe, and post up some pics!

Sorry to hear this, still looking forward to riding with you. I think I found a track south from Santa ines. I 'll email it to you.

Wow Mark, that would be awesome but I’m leaving Austin around 6 am so hopefully I’ll be done when you get there, ....... but if I need help I’ll be sure tho call you!! Thanks a million

You guys still planning to leave Houston at 10 on Wednesday? I was planning to leave around noon - maybe could leave sooner to join the pack.

Sorry to hear this, still looking forward to riding with you. I think I found a track south from Santa ines. I 'll email it to you.

I hope we get the opportunity again soon!

I'm hoping I can find someone to do some machine work on my head in a reasonable amount of time and get down there in November. I'd be really interested in seeing the track out of Santa Ines. I think I've permanently buggered up my eyeballs looking at various maps and images from that valley!

I just emailed you some tracks that I was going to explore in the event I was unable to break through the Huasteca Canyon blockage from Hurricane Alex. If they are rideable, it would be a much shorter, more interesting, and possibly quicker way around than using the more established roads to get back to the canyon and continue north to the dam.

About the bike problem: A couple months ago, I paid someone to do work on the bike that I always do myself (valve check, adjustment, other basic stuff) since I just didn't have time. He screwed it up and destroyed my intake valves. I discovered it when I checked my valve clearances during my final prep for Mextrek this weekend. The bike runs, but I don't trust it to hold up for much longer before it drops a valve and it's now beyond the point where it can be adjusted. .00000 clearance with the adjusters all the way out:eek2::giveup:.

Can anyone recommend a machine shop in Houston?

And I'm in!

-last minute horse entering the race. :)

Looking forward to some awesome aggressive dual-sporting and cheap cervezas!

-now back to the last-minute bike-prep... :s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got in from riding N8scotts_nothng_special,
It got special about 2/3 though where the road has washed out.

Can anyone recommend a machine shop in Houston?

That doesn't sound good. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for a shop. Maybe if we keep bumping this up.

On another note, we still have room in group C for the trip from the border down to Galeana. Send me a PM if you are interested. We had 7 interested, but 3 have had to back out.

JT

That doesn't sound good. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for a shop. Maybe if we keep bumping this up.

On another note, we still have room in group C for the trip from the border down to Galeana. Send me a PM if you are interested. We had 7 interested, but 3 have had to back out.

JT
It's nothing serious. Last minute prepping with a dose of snafu. Should be able to fix it myself if I can't find help. Story will be better told at Mambos...so until then.

Scott's nothing special. Road washed out bad.so we built a ramp out of rocks and jumped it. No problem
56c73080e12fcc36fb0a6c60171fd14b.jpg
7cfcb5064921606e193928252b82c305.jpg
8194d09b770d2018603fa980a422c3ed.jpg
d97b35602071e7fcf1db0adcafae03c0.jpg
d0d393a30f9a347856cb6da972372bd3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back