• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Black Friday Getaway Ride

Reaction score
OK, I've settled on doing the Houston County route. It's basically a big loop around Crockett. There's a camping option in Mission Tejas Park and a motel option (from what Dannyboy tells me) in Rusk, further northeast from the park. This ride is something along the lines of 375 miles. The original route has more of the mileage on day 1, so I'll likely take a different cut off to the park and move some miles to day 2. Link to gpx file here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nf5bsi0nmae1lz9/AACgUNZGW4yh8_U6jdeEN5pha?dl=0

We'll meet in Crockett at the Walmart (1225 E Loop 304, Crockett, TX 75835). Vehicles should be fine in the back of the lot overnight. I'm currently thinking about a 0900 departure from there, so something like a 0800-0830 meetup time. Make sure you're gas tanks are full and your tank is empty. Also, please test your camping gear rig on your bike. We don't want anyone losing some gear or worse, loose equipment causing a wreck.

As always, this is weather dependent. I don't find riding in lousy weather fun. I'll make a weather decision no later than 1800 Thanksgiving day. Be sure to check the thread before you go to bed, and definitely before you leave in the morning!

I hope to see everyone there!

Original post on twtex.com: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115720

In:

1) William Wolfen - camping
2) Dannyboy - motel
3) DrmotoTX - camping
4) DrmotoTX's friend - camping
5) steepndeep - camping
6) Tourmeister - Friday only
7) Trailrdr - motel
8)

Maybe:

1) ScuddyP4
2) Woodsguy
3) Lazylame
4) Jettech01
5) Masterblaster
6)

Original Post:
I wanted to post a feeler to see who would be interested in a 2 day ride Black Friday and Saturday. I've got a couple candidate routes we could run, probably either the East Texas 500 or the Houston County route. If we get a few interested folks we'll draw up some firm plans and make it happen.

Hope some of y'all are up for it! :rider:

Last edited:
I will be keeping tabs on this. This far out I don't know for sure yet if I will be on call that day. If not, I NEVER go shopping that day. So I'd be up for a run.

I wanted to post a feeler to see who would be interested in a 2 day ride Black Friday and Saturday...

Maybe next time as BF weekend is already spoken for. I'll be riding and camping in the San Gabriel Mountains, Angeles Crest goodness and much more.

If we end up in Rusk Friday evening that Weston Motel is $55 a night.
Can't beat that with a stick.

I was seriously leaning towards the Houston County route. Day 1 is 228 miles, camp the night at Mission Tejas Park, which is 8 miles from the route, then day 2 which is 110 miles plus a little bit to get back into Crockett. I've ridden most of the first part of the route and it's nice.

Edit: I could easily alter the route slightly to shift some miles from day 1 to day 2, depending on how everyone feels.

Here's the current GPX: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nf5bsi0nmae1lz9/AACgUNZGW4yh8_U6jdeEN5pha?dl=0

Last edited:
I was seriously leaning towards the Houston County route. Day 1 is 228 miles, camp the night at Mission Tejas Park, which is 8 miles from the route, then day 2 which is 110 miles plus a little bit to get back into Crockett. I've ridden most of the first part of the route and it's nice.

Edit: I could easily alter the route slightly to shift some miles from day 1 to day 2, depending on how everyone feels.

Here's the current GPX: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nf5bsi0nmae1lz9/AACgUNZGW4yh8_U6jdeEN5pha?dl=0

The second part of this ride is the better...IMHO. Mission Tejas is a cool little park with great camping. BUT, it's pretty much in the midst of nowhere. The moteling crew will need to check for accommodations and eateries nearby.

I will be keeping tabs on this. This far out I don't know for sure yet if I will be on call that day. If not, I NEVER go shopping that day. So I'd be up for a run.

Watching also. There is factors involved for me, (weather). lol

I've got shift on Black Friday. that should make for some interesting calls.

I'm interested, just don't know the schedules for my kids coming to town. All depends on how family stuff shakes out. Thanks JE

I would like to ride with y'all but I don`t know if my XR can handle this ride , Gonna look at renting a Dr650 :lol2:

This sounds like a possibility, If I do NOT go to Florida to see my daughter, I will be able to make this. A camp/hotel is possible. Will be watching this.
:trust::clap:

I would like to ride with y'all but I don`t know if my XR can handle this ride , Gonna look at renting a Dr650 :lol2:

Of course for me and my 800, this is a TRUE statement, if it's too sloppy I'd have a long day(or short if it went bad, lol). East Tx dirt can get real bad wet or real deep sand if dry. :giveup:

Back