• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston-Arlington - More routing info, please

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Thanks to all who gave me good advice before, on how to get out of west Houston and home to Arlington next Monday, as we return from a work-mission trip. Well, plans have changed. We'll be working Monday at a little church in Hankamer, which is well east of Houston on I-10.

We'll be leaving from the church at around 3:30pm or so next Monday, and wanting to get back to Arlington just as quickly as possible. So, how best to make our way back to I-45? By map, the obvious way is I-10 west, TX 8 north and west to I-45, and hook 'em home. But I don't know your traffic secrets. Would I be better off taking smaller roads north to 105, then following that west and picking up I-45 in Conroe? I await the wisdom of my Houston dwelling friends.

The new path from E Houston to Conroe (back to Dallas) I-10 to beltway 8 to 59 N and 59n to 99 West to 45 North. It keeps you off Beltway 8 59 to 45 which is all construction. Safe travels

FYI Hwy99 (Grand Pkwy) is a toll road and EZ Tag only. Going through Houston near 5 pm on a Monday will spell traffic. I hate traffic so would bypass it entirely. My suggestion which takes into consideration fewest stops is:
TX-61>US-90>FM146>TX-105>FM1725>TX-150>I-45 at New Waverly

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I can't offer any more than the routes already suggested. But I will drop this bit of good news for you: Next week is Thanksgiving week so some area schools will already be closed for the whole week which is often accompanied by parents taking the week off too. That should provide some degree of relief to traffic.

From Hankamer, I'd take the following route:

TX 61 North to US 90
US 90 West to TX 146
TX 146 North to US 59 @ Livingston
US 59 North to US 287
US 287 North to home

I'd avoid H-town all together for traffic and ease of driving. I'd got the way Silverbullet suggested or T-Cats if you want more back roads. SB's directions will drop you on I-45 north of most of the traffic and little stops or backups from then on until you hit dallas. Your speeds should be way faster than posted to keep up traffic and you should make time.

I can't offer any more than the routes already suggested to use the bathmate now. But I will drop this bit of good news for you: Next week is Thanksgiving week so some area schools will already be closed for the whole week which is often accompanied by parents taking the week off too. That should provide some degree of relief to traffic.

This is what usually happens, yes. Have a safe trip!

Last edited:
FYI Hwy99 (Grand Pkwy) is a toll road and EZ Tag only. Going through Houston near 5 pm on a Monday will spell traffic. I hate traffic so would bypass it entirely. My suggestion which takes into consideration fewest stops is:
TX-61>US-90>FM146>TX-105>FM1725>TX-150>I-45 at New Waverly

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

This would be my route.

Back