• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thin winter gloves

morfic

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Does anyone have a suggestion for some good, thin winter gloves that stay waterproof throughout their life?
Breathable so they still work on transitional days would be great.

Bought some Bilt at Cycle Gear that seemed to fit the bill. On a day where it was cool enough in the morning to wear them but on way home I was cooking and the sweat stayed in them until I came home the next day (next day I wore summer gloves)

Today on way home I felt nice and toasty except on my two clutch fingers, that it wasn't just the lack of protection of the extended fingers was evident because the two brake fingers were fine, and I cover both, always have, always will.
Nope, clutch fingers were wet, luckily it was still 42F.

Good news at least that Tourmaster jacket, Bilt rain pants, tcx boots and shark helmet kept me dry and vision clear.

Don't recall brand of Thinsulate[emoji769] gloves I had in Germany, only that they weren't very puffy, never leaked and the built in window leather strip in index finger was great for streak free wiping, even if I only wore goggles year-round, it worked for them.

Long story short, I'm looking for some good winter gloves, preferably textile and on thin side.

Tourmaster makes the Polar Tex 3, which would be my next attempt if I don't get anything recommended.

Thanks,

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a full solution and not sure what bike you are riding but do you have hand gaurds? They are the best for really cutting wind that digs deep (along with heated grips).

I might look into modifying the stock BMW hand guards as they don't do much for wind.
Driving in to work I put some fleece gloves under and had to come to the painful realization that my fingers were just so cold I thought water got in yesterday, because the fleece gloves came out dry this morning although it rained more.
I was thinking about making something I can hook from the bottom of the hand guards after velcroing it to my wrist, wasn't sure if I really want to be tethered to handle bars or if I could make it break lose easy.
If it works it would be an easy "as needed" solution.

afd29267ca29065dc0e8677d073b3057.jpg

They weren't built with wind in mind.

Since I like my levers a little down to be ergonomically aligned with my arm (or hands/wrists are) they are even less effective on top.

Before making something I might have to look if that was already made.

Edit: if they were larger I'd change the ergonomics with a bar riser to get everything more back head on into the wind, this way the attachable cover is likely best solution, it'll just keep me from waving at other people on bikes. [emoji6]

Edit2: doesn't keep me from wanting better gloves as these are ridiculously ineffective.

Last edited:
Thanks those look almost decent :)
I might give them a try, price seems ok.

Still wanting better gloves even if I do get that as I'm already cold and it's still 40F.

20 years in Texas and off motorcycles sure made me weak ;P

For those transitional days, I use silk liners.

Amazon link:
http://a.co/815e8Nq

Easy on, easy off, takes almost no space. Store them in a ziplock bag with a silk balaclava.
I use them well into the 40s with my year round gloves.

Cycle Gear makes a nice glove liner; they're on sale right now for $10 (regular price is about $30, I think). The brand name is Freeze Out. As a motorcycle glove liner, they add about 5-10 degrees F comfort. I also wear an identical pair of liners for winter jogging.

I had a silk balaclava, worked nice, maybe I'll try some silk liners if I don't get the deal on the freeze-out liners. Found silk only online, not in store and I like to buy gear in store although CycleGear makes returns easy too, hm.

I still need other gloves because they shouldn't soak and lose insulation like that in one of two gloves, I'd rely on just liner in left hand instead of improving the glove.

Got home with temp gage blinking, shortly before coworkers started texting actual snow images.
Snow! Sveet.

Thanks for the guard that attaches to the mirror, could be good, anything not requiring drilling of original parts is a good thing, Amazon didn't resolve for me with some low level error so I'll check it out in a bit.

Two votes for Phenix gloves, noted.
I'll probably try the 3/4 covers with my heated grips if liners don't help, instead of adding heated gloves I mean.

I might also ask cycle gear if their gloves are meant to soak up water like a sponge while looking for liners. Maybe It's a defective set, judging from left vs right performance.

Off-topic: The pin-lock visor insert is absolutely awesome.

Are you talking about soaking up sweat or rain water? If rain water, take them back! There's no excuse for a waterproof glove soaking up water. If sweat, the liners may help; like inner socks, they're pretty good at wicking up moisture.

Rain water. Although they majorly retain sweat on the "oh it's now warmer than expected" ride home if morning was ok for them.
They don't dry out if you sweat into them either.

But yeah it dawned on me today that while they aren't great when working and wet (right hand where the prognosed 5-10F gain might be enough) they are just terrible when soaking up the wet (left hand)
So while looking for a few items I'll see about an exchange too.

I got some thin leather gloves today that seem warm, but have a good control feeling. Highway 21 , they were 49 bucks at Cycle Refinery in South Austin. It has a lot of reasonable prices.
Also got a Fly Revolt-FS ink in Needle helmet that feels great and quiet with two face shields for 149. Feels much better than all the HJC I tried on.

I got some thin leather gloves today that seem warm, but have a good control feeling. Highway 21 , they were 49 bucks at Cycle Refinery in South Austin. It has a lot of reasonable prices.
Also got a Fly Revolt-FS ink in Needle helmet that feels great and quiet with two face shields for 149. Feels much better than all the HJC I tried on.

So can you say they have been snow tested now?

Two votes for Phenix gloves, noted.

If you're on any of the IBA / Long Distance / Endurance forums or FB groups you'll find lots more votes for Ken's gloves.

He's also in the Beaumont area, got completely flooded out of his home, and any business you can throw his way is appreciated.

JMZ: couple posts in here mention him being in vendor section on TWT

Texas T: If he has heated liners (if I read it right he does) I might still end up with something from him.
Just $10 for freeze out liners is in budget now, heated gear not until after closing on house.
So much gear/kit on hold for that now....

I used my freeze out liners yesterday for the first time and I was really impressed.

Ok. I knew Ken Phenix but did not recognize Ken by itself

Good to know about the liners working for you too. I won't get much use out of them on way back from CycleGear tomorrow.

Thanks all for the input.

Daniel

Back