• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Racing the Baja 1000

Is this a point to point (Ensenada to La Paz) year or the northern half of Baja year?

This year's race is a loop course, presumably run on the northern half of the peninsula. That much we do know. We will know for certain about a month prior to the race when the official route is published.

Speaking of crews, how are you doing your pitting? Did you contract with someone?

We will be contracting with a crew, such as Mag 7.

A Bib Mousse in the front at a minimum and better if you have one in the rear too.

Thanks - I was leaning in this direction already.

I hope you get to do some pre-riding. There’s no way you can remember your whole portion of the race but you get an idea of what to expect. And, and it’s so darn much fun!!! Maybe more fun than the race.

We are planning on doing some pre-running a few days before the race.

Finally, thanks for the advice. We will take it all to heart.

Read everything Macdaddy wrote, about 20 times, good stuff in there. I would also recommend getting off the motocross track and race every hare scrambles or hare hound race you can afford to get to. I raced National H&H, ISDE and 24 hour events until i was 52. I live where there is a lot of public land, and I rode at least 15 hours on the weekend, and when a 24 hour race was approaching, I would get up and ride before dawn and time to go to work. If you have never raced at night, you don't know what to expect. Find a 24 hour race and enter it. Who cares if you finish, just race for at least 12 hours, especially at night. Heck, take breaks just like you would in the Baja 1000.

Buy a wood dowel, tie a rope to the center, hang a weight on the rope and roll the rope up and down for hours to condition your forearms. I've finished races with such bad arm cramps I needed help releasing my fingers from the bars. Get your forearms in shape or you won't be a happy camper.

practice riding with glove liners or mole skin to keep from getting blisters during the race. Don't try anything new on race day, only things you have done a lot.

And lastly, stay hydrated, again, stay hydrated. My racing days ended when I got extremely dehydrated practicing for a 24 hour event in 100 degree heat and had a stroke. I also helped recover a body in a National H&H when an expert level rider who tried to race in 105 degree heat without enough water.Don't take hydration for granted...

Be as prepared as possible, and you guys are going to have a blast...

Thank you for the excellent advice. :clap:

Read everything Macdaddy wrote, about 20 times, good stuff in there. I would also recommend getting off the motocross track and race every hare scrambles or hare hound race you can afford to get to. I raced National H&H, ISDE and 24 hour events until i was 52. I live where there is a lot of public land, and I rode at least 15 hours on the weekend, and when a 24 hour race was approaching, I would get up and ride before dawn and time to go to work. If you have never raced at night, you don't know what to expect. Find a 24 hour race and enter it. Who cares if you finish, just race for at least 12 hours, especially at night. Heck, take breaks just like you would in the Baja 1000.

Buy a wood dowel, tie a rope to the center, hang a weight on the rope and roll the rope up and down for hours to condition your forearms. I've finished races with such bad arm cramps I needed help releasing my fingers from the bars. Get your forearms in shape or you won't be a happy camper.

practice riding with glove liners or mole skin to keep from getting blisters during the race. Don't try anything new on race day, only things you have done a lot.

And lastly, stay hydrated, again, stay hydrated. My racing days ended when I got extremely dehydrated practicing for a 24 hour event in 100 degree heat and had a stroke. I also helped recover a body in a National H&H when an expert level rider who tried to race in 105 degree heat without enough water.Don't take hydration for granted...

Be as prepared as possible, and you guys are going to have a blast...

I agree, forget the mx and hit the TORCS and TSCEC races, especially the TSCEC because of seat time.

West Texas TSCEC events. Much more high speed open sections. And ride the Long course, again, not needing to stay on time but get the most miles in as possible.

Sam

Have you two lost your minds? I had a chance to be part of a four man team a few year ago. At first I jumped at the offer............then I got to thinking about a 50 mile cross country race and how worn out and used up I was after one of those. I called the team manager and said I'm out and it's a good thing I did.

The guy riding the first leg crashed and broke his sternum and some other parts. The locals stole the bike, the rider went to a Mexican hospital and while he was there some of the drug cartel guys raided the hospital and shot it up, trying to get one of their guys out. Needles to say it was a cluster.

But what the hey.............go for it before you're too dang old.

That's exactly what I wuz thinking. Hey, when are we riding Mexico again? :mrgreen:

Next week! Heck you and Richard should have winter homes down there. You know the roads better than most of the locals! :doh:

But when y'all go you "smell the roses".

I do wish you both all the best. If you get thru this unscathed you will unseat Nolan as my "old man hero". :thumb:

Sam

Next week! Heck you and Richard should have winter homes down there. You know the roads better than most of the locals! :doh:

But when y'all go you "smell the roses".

I do wish you both all the best. If you get thru this unscathed you will unseat Nolan as my "old man hero". :thumb:

Sam

Do a isde qualifier if you can iv done two both were silver then sleep for a weak aft words lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations fellas! You are doing the grand daddy of all the North American desert races. Boy do I ever wish I could join you guys!

Sounds like the adventure of a lifetime. I wish both of you and your crew Good luck!

Good luck guys. Sounds fun. I'm no expert but those who are have convinced me to mount Dunlop at 81 rc on the rear. Rc for reinforced carcass. Nutech tubliss rather than mousse. Don't know if that is wise for a race. But buddies say mousse can disintegrate in the desert. No biggie...swap it out in the pits. Tubliss can get flats but you can plug them. Or run them flat. Benefit is 6 psi vs 14 mousse? Headed down to bay of la next week for 900. I'll update you after. Btw, Front is Dunlop geomax mx52. Would love to ride hf with y'all sometime.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I think the Texas Desert Racing Association races would be great conditioning for the 1000. I will be out there for the April, July, and October races. Hope to see you out there.

This year's race is a loop course, presumably run on the northern half of the peninsula. That much we do know. We will know for certain about a month prior to the race when the official route is published.

That sounds right, I read somewhere that last year's race was the point to point year. The loop race is much easier logistically and a great way to start your Baja career. Like Lays potato chips, you can't do just one. :lol2:

Back in the day, the loop race was laid out more or less like a figure eight and you repeated the bottom loop a second time to gain mileage. I say this because it presents another challenge in that during your second loop, you will be running with the buggies, etc. that started the race well behind you and are now making their first loop. Don't get me wrong, its all doable but they kick up a lot more dust and take up a lot more of the course. Just another challenge to deal with and add to the memories.

To get around them, just ram the back of their vehicle once or twice with your front wheel and they'll move over as soon as they can. Okay, I made that last part up, don't do that. :rofl:

I will likely make the trip to support JT and Rich and see what all the hoopla is about. For anyone wanting to tag along, buy a plane ticket to Phoenix (where I live) and I can handle getting you over to the races. I have a small herd of DR350's and WR426's we can take along too.

My first Baja trip is in late March, after uncles. Looking forward to new adventures on this side of the L48.

Impressive feat. Kudo's to both of you!

There's a 24 hour race in a couple of weeks if you're looking for a warm up. http://www.thegutbuster24.com/

My son will be racing it again this year and he uses the Task Racing Lights. He has a light bar on the bike, but says the helmet lights are the most important. He runs two on his helmet and calls them the Mickey Mouse lights...

http://www.taskracing.com/moto-adventure-helmet-light.html

You guys should definitely do this race .

I will likely make the trip to support JT and Rich and see what all the hoopla is about. For anyone wanting to tag along, buy a plane ticket to Phoenix (where I live) and I can handle getting you over to the races. I have a small herd of DR350's and WR426's we can take along too.

My first Baja trip is in late March, after uncles. Looking forward to new adventures on this side of the L48.

I might just take you up on that .

Pending getting the time off work, I’m in too! (Scurries over to start checking airfares to Phoenix)

Peter, What are the dates your looking at???

We have been discussing that very thing. In addition to riding for extended periods on mx tracks we also plan to do lots of riding at places at Hidden Falls and CTOR. I can't think of anything better for training to ride for extended time/distances than by riding for extended time/distances in conditions with similar physical demands.

I have the bike loaded in my truck now and will be leaving shortly for Murphy's MX.
I can take you guys through the ... more interesting bits.... of CTOR if you'd like. [emoji109][emoji110][emoji95][emoji100]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Enter the pro class. IF your looking to finish (tough to just finish). Then you will get to take off first. Just enter whatever class that gets you out of the gate first. IIRC the pro MC bikes go first. That will put more distance between you and the trophy trucks.

When those things pass you it pretty beastly is my understanding and you won't be able to see for a while due to dust.. I know a few who have raced it. I have also seen and heard those things in person. I really want to drive one, but just don't want to sell my house and raise money to buy it as it would be kinda hard to live in.

Also, if your looking to ride for longer periods you might hit up some of the west texas enduros. With little measurable rain in 99 days, more open trails, cactus and thorns it might be better to simulate what you will be seeing. LTR has a two day coming up. Enter a B class or above to get the long course. 70 miles or better. Just eat your Wheaties.

Back