• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend - March 22-25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
I'm new to the forum and plan to join the around the bend rally,
I'm in the north Dallas area and looking to tagalog with other coming from this area.
if it works for you, pls ping me at 214.686.3134
Thanks

Welcome TZ!

What ya bringing to BB?

Post an introduction with pix of your bike(s) so folks can welcome you.

C ya in BB!

hi,
I'm in the north Dallas area and looking to tagalog with other coming from this area.
Thanks

I'm downtown Dallas, have a rack so only room for one bike but if you're trailering & have room for more...

:trust:

Welcome BTW!

hi,

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I am a fellow KLR rider. Hope you find a way to make it to BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcoming, I have been riding for a long time, mainly street and touring (currently Road Glide CVO and Road King), will be in Daytona FL this week and plan for the BB the next weekend...just got me last year a KLR to try some dirt roads...

We have 2 riders(possibly 3) riding out from Austin on 22nd Thr a.m. Feel free to tag along if you can't find anyone riding from DFW.

Thanks for the welcoming, I have been riding for a long time, mainly street and touring (currently Road Glide CVO and Road King), will be in Daytona FL this week and plan for the BB the next weekend...just got me last year a KLR to try some dirt roads...

This looks fun and perfect for a big bend newbie like me. How much dirt is involved? Hopefully a fair amount.

This ride is one of the most dirt vs concrete out there. Maybe 20 miles of concrete to and from trailheads. Fun concrete, through the tunnel, the winding road to Boquillas, just little bits. The vast majority is dirt, and by dirt I mean the typical BB double track jeep roads.

If the creek don't rise I plan to be there & if folks are interested I'll do my usual "no one gets left behind" easy pace ride on Friday....Or maybe Shadman & I should combine because the Dos Y Dos is starting to sound like the same concept?

PM sent. My ride is kinda like a Chili's App Sampler Platter, but not sure how the trailering to RGV jives with what you run.

In my humble opinion the trailering is what makes this ride awesome. You get to soak at the hot springs in the late afternoon until the sun sets, ride 5 miles of concrete to RGV, and then drive back to Terlingua without freezing your bootie off. If warm, not big deal, the 1 hour ride back is relaxing and the sunlight lingers an hour after sunset.

At some point I may just start and end this ride at the hot springs and bring a couple 5 gallon cans for pit stops.

My bucket list dos y dos goal is to do the dos e dos on a ridiculous bike, maybe my CL90 with cafe bars n stuff. But this would just be a short layover on my round the world minibike adventure.

We have 2 riders(possibly 3) riding out from Austin on 22nd Thr a.m. Feel free to tag along if you can't find anyone riding from DFW.

Looks like I'm heading out from Austin on the 22nd a.m. also.
In all likelihood on my GSA.
Let me know what your plan is and I may tag up with y'all.

hi,
Thanks

I’m heading from DFW on the 22nd. But I’m gonna ride down to Austin. There I’ll meet some friends from Houston, and we’re gonna ride trough hill country and the twisting all the way to big bend. If you wanna tag along let me know.

Still looking for anyone who will want to ride on Thursday, late morning or early afternoon.

Still looking for anyone who will want to ride on Thursday, late morning or early afternoon.

If I were you I'd take the opportunity to ride by yourself down Old Maverick to Santa Elena and hike back there. Pack a lunch and go chill.

I'll be leaving Austin about noon on the 22nd, going thru Rocksprings and Bracketville and up 90. Or something like that - maybe Sisterdale, Vanderpool, Camp Wood... Just not I-10.

PM me if ya wanna join me.

I'll be leaving Austin about noon on the 22nd, going thru Rocksprings and Bracketville and up 90. Or something like that - maybe Sisterdale, Vanderpool, Camp Wood... Just not I-10.

PM me if ya wanna join me.

I'll be arriving in Terlingua late on Wednesday, so I'm looking for a Big Bend ride on Thursday. thanks for the offer, though. I'll probably just do maverick and the River Road solo.

I'll be arriving in Terlingua late on Wednesday, so I'm looking for a Big Bend ride on Thursday. thanks for the offer, though. I'll probably just do maverick and the River Road solo.

I will be there Wednesday evening also i hope (out of town right now) will contact you Sunday are Monday to let you know something. I was going to try and do same thing your thinking.

Aaron

I will be there Wednesday evening also i hope (out of town right now) will contact you Sunday are Monday to let you know something. I was going to try and do same thing your thinking.

Aaron

Me and Montejay will be there Wednesday night as well. We’ll probably do the Big Loop starting Thursday morning. Big loop is the Old Ore Road, East and West River Roads, & Maverick.

Me and Montejay will be there Wednesday night as well. We’ll probably do the Big Loop starting Thursday morning. Big loop is the Old Ore Road, East and West River Roads, & Maverick.

Sounds good to me, son may come in wed also if he can get his shop lined out so he can leave for three days.

Aaron

I was thinking of the Big Loop on Friday. Also on a KLR650.
T.

Sounds like a plan is forming.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

This ride is one of the most dirt vs concrete out there. Maybe 20 miles of concrete to and from trailheads. Fun concrete, through the tunnel, the winding road to Boquillas, just little bits. The vast majority is dirt, and by dirt I mean the typical BB double track jeep roads.

I'm in if you don't mind having a 1090 crash the small bike party. Looks like a great way to see some of the best parts of the park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Howdy Friends,

I'm going to do this 'Round the Bend a little different. Friday will be a Ride 'n Hike - I've wanted to see Mariscal Canyon for too long! Trailhead is at the 'Talley' campground, about 6 miles south of River Road, then about 7 miles round-trip of hiking, with a 1700 foot ascent. I'll be getting kinda a late start, due to starting my morning in Alpine, so my whole plan is something like this:

Leave Study Butte: 9:30am
Arrive trailhead: 11:30am
Finish hike: 3pm
At hot springs: 4:30pm
At Starlight: 7pm

or something like that...

This means carrying in a LOT of water (plan on 95° temps, hiking at noon with no shade), lunch, and hiking shoes / shorts / etc.

Anyone interested in joining: PM me, or just meet at the Study Butte gas station by Big Bend Resorts ~ 9:20am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back