• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AZ Trip - Advice Requested

Great, thanks. That fills in the last bit of info for my itinerary. I'll be meeting up with my high school buddy in Williams on May 13, and we'll work our way east across the state. And for this leg, I may just turn off the GPS and rely on -- what are those things called? -- maps.

Thanks again.

That'll be for another trip with the wife, & possibly the grandies, along, Jeff. This trip's all about the bikes. Although we do plan to ride up to the canyon & take the rim tour on the trams.

Tim, I may steal that part of your route. My youngest sister-in-law is getting married on May 5th in Phoenix and I may just ride out for that.

So you're gonna ride my route before I do? That just ain't right.:-P Nah, have a great time. You can let me know if I'm gonna enjoy it.

State highways that are scheduled to reopen (along with the anticipated reopening dates) include:

State Route 261 between Eagar and Big Lake in the White Mountains – April 12
SR 273 between Sunrise Park and Big Lake in the White Mountains – April 12
SR 473 between SR 260 and Hawley Lake in in the White Mountains – April 12
SR 67 leading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in northern Arizona – May 15

I should be okay on those. Arriving in AZ about May 13, and won't be making the North Rim on this trip. Heck, come to think of it, would the North Rim even be open in May?

FYI, Overland Expo in Flagstaff is May 18 to 20. There will be 4 of us twtexans goingbfrom Phoenix. If ypu're in the area stop by. It gas a large motorcycle segment as well.

Texas T, wanna join us?

FYI, Overland Expo in Flagstaff is May 18 to 20. There will be 4 of us twtexans goingbfrom Phoenix. If ypu're in the area stop by. It gas a large motorcycle segment as well.

Texas T, wanna join us?

Thanks for the invite. There is some cool stuff there, but it's not my kind of thing. Roughing it for me means no room service. :trust:

Wife and I just did the first week in April driving around AZ. The 273-261 loop around Greer was closed due to snow. Highway 60 crossing the Salt River canyon is beautiful, 191 from Three Way to Springerville is awesome and as Texas T said Indian Road 13 is spectacular running up to Roof Butte and then right next to Ship Rock. So many sights to see. We decided spur of the moment to sidetrack to see the Petrified Forest National Park and are very happy we did. It is incredible!

Wife and I just did the first week in April driving around AZ. The 273-261 loop around Greer was closed due to snow. Highway 60 crossing the Salt River canyon is beautiful, 191 from Three Way to Springerville is awesome and as Texas T said Indian Road 13 is spectacular running up to Roof Butte and then right next to Ship Rock. So many sights to see. We decided spur of the moment to sidetrack to see the Petrified Forest National Park and are very happy we did. It is incredible!

If people really don't "know" Arizona, they think we are nothing but deserts, cactus, and the Grand Canyon. There is SO much more to our state than that, so please come visit, spend your money, and then GO HOME!

:mrgreen: :trust: :mrgreen:

Our original destination was Sierra Vista. Our son lives there. We toured Fort Huachuca, a copper mine, a cavern nearby there and enjoyed a shootout in old Tombstone. We drove up Mount Lemon and drove around the east side of Mount Lemon on gravel roads through a forest of giant cactus. It was all very memorable. Next trip we will try to see the central and western sights in AZ.

If people really don't "know" Arizona, they think we are nothing but deserts, cactus, and the Grand Canyon. There is SO much more to our state than that, so please come visit, spend your money, and then GO HOME!

At least you've got the Grand Canyon. As we all know, Texas is just deserts and cactus. Big, tall Saguaro cactus. And cowboys. :trust:

Our original destination was Sierra Vista. Our son lives there. We toured Fort Huachuca, a copper mine, a cavern nearby there and enjoyed a shootout in old Tombstone. We drove up Mount Lemon and drove around the east side of Mount Lemon on gravel roads through a forest of giant cactus. It was all very memorable. Next trip we will try to see the central and western sights in AZ.

I have a high school friend in Sierra Vista. I've always wanted to visit that corner of AZ, and will find time to do so one day. Alas, not this trip.

I WAS thinking the same. seen some az stuff too and amazing.

i think i heard that the "welcome to texas , now go home " slogan was originally California's, before they fried themselves.

Tim,

Keep an eye on this fire watch page as you get closer to your departure date. Usually in the summer there are a couple of big fires burning out of control in Arizona.

Right now, it looks like the Rattlesnake fire is five percent contained. It is located about thirty to fourty mile west of Hannagan's Meadow on Highway 191.

RB

Ft Hoochy Cootchie is a major CIA/NSA installation, but your son probably already told you that.

They have a very good Buffalo Soldier museum on post, as well as a good signals intelligence museum. Hopefully you toured both.

What copper mine did you tour?

Kartchner Caverns near Benson? The largest "living" cave in the country.

Even as a native, I've never been down the back side of Mt Lemmon, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant. The eastern portion of the Saguaro National Monument is located at the base of the Rincons to the SE of Mt Lemmon so maybe that's where you were?

Western AZ doesn't have a lot to compare to where you've been, so I'd stick to more NE sections of the state from Payson/Prescott/Jerome/White Mountains up to Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley.

Tim,

Keep an eye on this fire watch page as you get closer to your departure date. Usually in the summer there are a couple of big fires burning out of control in Arizona.

Right now, it looks like the Rattlesnake fire is five percent contained. It is located about thirty to fourty mile west of Hannagan's Meadow on Highway 191.

RB

InciWeb is my favorite site for tracking the wildfires in the state.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

We've had an EXTREMELY dry winter. Most of the state's moisture comes in a couple of winter months and then in the last summer monsoon season which also brings the haboobs and lots of lightning created fires.

Good to know about the wildfire watches. Thanks, Red & Brian.

Here's a new question, pertaining to New Mexico. Has anybody been to Shiprock? If I'm passing by on the highway & want to stop & take some pictures (but not spend time driving off the highway), which sides offer good views from the road? The options are the north (US 64), east (491), or south (Rt 13 toward Red Valley) side. The south side looks like it would be best, but once past Shiprock, that is one long, desolate highway with not a lot of gas. Does anybody have any experience with this area? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• shiprock map.jpg
    shiprock map.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 127
Brian,

I put the Navajo Indian Service Route #12/13 headed to Roof Butte Park on the bucket list. Do I need a special "park" permit to ride on those roads located on Navajo lands residing in Arizona?

Thanks,

RB

Brian,

I put the Navajo Indian Service Route #12/13 headed to Roof Butte Park on the bucket list. Do I need a special "park" permit to ride on those roads located on Navajo lands residing in Arizona?

Thanks,

RB

Pardon me, I know this was addressed to Brian but I just went through those roads the first week in April and no special permit was required. They are open to the public.

Tim, I've been on the 491 and 64 route and did not stop to take pictures. IIRC, too far away. I just now did a Google map satellite view and it confirmed my "too far away" memory. 13 was better, but still far.

Tim, I've been on the 491 and 64 route and did not stop to take pictures. IIRC, too far away. I just now did a Google map satellite view and it confirmed my "too far away" memory. 13 was better, but still far.

Well, that settles it, then. I'll take 13. I did some googling of all the small towns along the way. Looks like there's gas at least every 50 miles, plenty good for a VStrom. I wouldn't want to be out there on certain cruisers, though, with their 110-mile ranges.

Pardon me, I know this was addressed to Brian but I just went through those roads the first week in April and no special permit was required. They are open to the public.

Here's the only cautions I really give folks when they are traveling on Native lands... you are in a completely different country with completely different customs and laws. Don't be the stereotypical "Ugly American" and you'll be fine.

I tend to watch my speed on the Reservations more so than I do on regular Arizona roads, and since you'll have out of state plates I would encourage you to not drive/ride at excessive speeds.

At least here in Scottsdale on the Salt River - Pima land you cannot possess a firearm but I can't speak for all the other Tribes in the state. Again, if you're not being an Ugly American you most likely will not have any issues having a weapon in the vehicle, but I would be hesitant to be wearing one.

Also, while there will be signs that say "Now Entering...", it isn't always real obvious when you're on Tribal land and when you're not. Err on the side of caution.

If you're riding, know that MUCH of the tribal land is not fenced, so you WILL encounter horses and cattle walking on the highway at all times of the day or night.

I know it's stereotypical, but alcohol abuse is rampant among many of the Native peoples, and now you can add Meth and Opioids to that as well. DUI is a massive issue on Tribal lands.

Last edited:
Back