• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

Got a new Helmet HJC DS-X1 to play on the DR-Z400S. Goes good with the Sidi X-3 Boots. So I will look good hitting the ground when I "re-learn" dirt bikes. Last honest dirt bike I had was a 1983 Yamaha XT-550. That was fun, but I didn't ride it off road a lot.

20180516_1825561.jpg

20180516_1826041.jpg

20180516_1826121.jpg

Isn't it abuse to kick your motorcycle? Seems as though it should be illegal.

Well Doug, I guess I'll have to go out and buy a HJC DS-X1 because I also ride an S model and I used to own and '83 XT-550. Two carbs on a single cylinder with only 1 float bowl.

Well Doug, I guess I'll have to go out and buy a HJC DS-X1 because I also ride an S model and I used to own and '83 XT-550. Two carbs on a single cylinder with only 1 float bowl.

Or you get get a Gixxer and a Baby Bandit with an Arai?

Have not owned a GSXR, but I have raced one. I did own a 400 bandit and Arai helmet. I still have my Wes Cooley replica in the closet.

Just got me one, too!

27565486227_2398aea5f0_z.jpg

I put about 500 miles this weekend. What a hoot!

Looking forward to learning more about it here.

Jim

Need Battery For DRZ quick
The 2yr old Lithium is showing charged on the tender, but doesn't have enough umph to spin her over for more than a few seconds.
Amazon has a battery that says it fits, but can't get it quick shipped.
Does anybody know of a NAPA or Autozone or even a Walmart battery option?

Need Battery For DRZ quick
The 2yr old Lithium is showing charged on the tender, but doesn't have enough umph to spin her over for more than a few seconds.
Amazon has a battery that says it fits, but can't get it quick shipped.
Does anybody know of a NAPA or Autozone or even a Walmart battery option?

I don't know what size battery your DR needs but if it's the same as a DR650 then the answer's probably yes they do. Just take the old battery in or measure it, or google DR(whatever) Battery type and google will probably show you. For example for my DR650 it says use a YB5L-B and compare it to what they have on a shelf or often on their website they will list the battery dimension or size/type, and then there you go.

Trouble is I only have the lithium with me, so I don't have a way to measure what the standard battery would be. The lithium is way smaller than stock/standard agm battery.
I am close to an Autozone and they show the battery to be GT7B-4 but can't get it until the 13th. Amazon shows an acdelco ATX7BBS, but can't get it to me until the 13th.
NAPA doesn't show anything for the DRZ400

So, pulled the DRZ apart and checked all the things listed for me to check. Pulled the carb apart (again) and cleaned it. Put it back together and same issues. Pulled the carb apart and cleaned it again, and bam, started working. Whatever. Yesterday I finally registered it and today I made a breakfast burrito run.

Not a lot of unpaved roads around this area, but this gem is right outside our housing development. There's a sign that says "Impassible when wet" that is obviously ignored, so the torn up road is a bit more fun for the DRZ through that section.
2018-06-09%2008.25.16-L.jpg

Found the local farmer's shooting range.
2018-06-09%2008.28.40-L.jpg

Bacon and Chorizo with eggs and potatoes, also green sauce.
2018-06-09%2008.54.00-L.jpg

just got back from Arkansas and Oklahoma with my 350 and 650 DRs. rode the Ozarks in Arkansas and at Talimena state park in Oklahoma.

just got back from Arkansas and Oklahoma with my 350 and 650 DRs. rode the Ozarks in Arkansas and at Talimena state park in Oklahoma.
Jasen goes to breakfast and posts 3 pictures. You go to Arkansas and Oklahoma and post 2 sentences. MORE

Oh goodness no. I'm starting to think I should have bought an S and converted what little needs converting. This is much more than I thought it would be going back in the S direction.

But if you insist, let's swap subframes.

Heck no, I just got my rear all tidy and neat. I was just thinking I might go yellow bodywork. I already have a Clarke tank for an E on it due to the E frame. So actually, I would only need a front and rear fender to go full yellow E. I have never had a yellow bike, just might be fun....

No E subframe, I would have to build it into an S anyway. You should just man up and buy an S sub, which is wildly expensive.....

Last edited:
grandelatte---- Did you get that 2006 Drz form a guy named Greg in Spring? Has about 3k miles with a fancy $150 seat?

Last edited:
Back