• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Here you go:

(1) Cover it. What the eye does not envelope it does not covet. I could write paragraphs on this but I'll leave it at this.

(2) Push Prevention. Either or both of a disk lock and a fixed object anchor, such as a cable lock around a tree.

(3) Some sort of audible alarm perhaps in conjunction with the disk lock (which is what I have). Thieves do not like audible alarms/attention.

My biggest tip though is do what you can and then go have fun. Certainly do not not camp for fear of what could happen. This keeps too many on the couch.

I carry all my stuff in a duffle bungeed to the passenger seat. Never an issue in 20 years now. If you're going somewhere you need to worry about it, maybe that isn't where you want to go on vacation. Worst case, run a bicycle cable lock around something solid or awkward. I used to be worried about leaving my jacket and helmet when I go for a hike or at rallies, so I would end up wearing or carrying it all day. The cable lock through the sleeves and chin bar of the helmet seems to be enough of a deterent.

Full coverage insurance. Seriously, if they see it and want it they will take it. Most likely though you won't have any issue, but if you do, have insurance. Been there done that. Broad daylight in front of a busy entrance to my work (retail store) with a disk lock.

Full coverage insurance. Seriously, if they see it and want it they will take it. Most likely though you won't have any issue, but if you do, have insurance. Been there done that. Broad daylight in front of a busy entrance to my work (retail store) with a disk lock.

"Keep and honest man honest" is something my dad used to say.
"You can throw your rig in the bed of the truck, but put the rope in the cab."

Locks and covers will keep an honest man honest. But like GJ says ... nothing is 100%.

My advice, to help prevent theft during the day, is to not leave it ... ride it.

:flip:

My advice, to help prevent theft during the day, is to not leave it ... ride it.

Sometimes you gotta leave it. Hiking, sight seeing, etc. You can't live on the bike. I mean you can, but you'd miss some stuff that way.

Had one like that on my bike. Doesn't stop them from having a few friends pick it up and toss it in a van or truck. Then they can deal with that later.

Where do you plan to go camping at? Been camping in Texas,New Mexico and Colorado and never had anything stolen. What about your tent and gear are you planning on packing it up every day? Are you planning on being away from the bike for a extended period?

Last edited:
Full coverage insurance...

This ^ zero stress for me no matter where I park. No cover, no extra locks.
If it gets stolen I go shopping for a bike. Insurance will pay me much more than I could sell my bike for anyway.

_

Sounds like you're maybe concerned when bike is left at trail head or some such? Like others have said, a determined thief can steal anything. Your job is to make it hard for the casual thief. I carry a 15' cable & lock in my top box, & occasionally chain it to a post. If no post, run the cable through the wheels so it can't be rolled. Also, you can use the same - or a different - cable & lock to run through your riding pants leg, jacket sleeve, & helmet. I've never had a problem, but it doesn't hurt to take precautions.

If you're talking about leaving the bike at a campsite, the same precautions apply. But to be honest, in over 50 years of all sorts of camping, I've never had anything - anything - stolen from a campsite. I have, however, on many occasions had people come cover items because of rain, roll up an awning because of wind, etc. I guess even thieves take a break from their vocations when they go camping.

Your job is to make it hard for the casual thief.

Technically, your job is to make it harder than another bike would be. The old bear joke where you just have to be faster than your friend to be able to get away from the bear. Same thing, your bike has to be hard enough that they'll pass by and go to one that is easier.

700-800 pound Sport Touring bikes are harder to steal than sport bikes or dual sports. :giveup: :rofl:

I've got a disc lock that can secure a cable as well.

Through the front disc and cabled to a large tree, sign post, etc.

The 15 foot Brinks cable from Wally World weighs about 4 pounds.

Don't get the cable with the integrated lock, heavier cable but it's only 6 foot which is
not long enough.

Back