• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Re: IF I were to get a dirt bike, what should I get?

Time to put 199 on the number plates.

Set the sag, bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations Jarrett,

The Honda CRF250L is a sweet bike; I almost bought one. Light, nimble, fuel injected and electric start. I am sure you will have a great time on it. There is alot of aftermarket for this model.

I decided to go with a Honda 250, but a 35 year old XL250R. I love this little bike and it will do all that I want it to.

See you on one of the local rides.....

Congrats on the purchase.

I went a similar path, I have a Tenere and was looking for something lighter and a little funner when it was more dirt. Ended up with a WR250R, because I wanted the fuel injection and something I could just jump on and go. Found it a little underpowered, even with a 285 big bore kit. Ended up selling it and getting a 690 KTM, tons more power for not a whole lot of additional weight....so far I have been quite pleased.

This little bike is a dang blast. It's so light and easy to get on, I find myself just jumping on it and putting around a lot more frequently than I do the bigger bikes.

As many said, its a blast to ride in the pasture. I needed to run to town today, so I figured I would take it. It gets down the road at 65mph just fine once you get into 6th gear. Not much horsepower, but plenty to get down the road at a reasonable pace.

I do feel the bumps a bit more with it as the suspension seems several levels lower than what's on my other bikes and its non adjustable, so it is what it is unless I swap some stuff out.

On the plus side, it seems much more reasonable pricewise to do that versus on my big bike. But I'm just going to ride it like it is for now and make changes if/when I feel I absolutely must.

In the meantime, its a fun little bike. Now to get it to a trail somewhere soon...

My advice is don't spend an extra dime on that bike to make any changes. I truly think you will be wanting something different the first time you take that bike on a real motorcycle trail. I have helped new riders get into our sport (real dirt bike riding) and have seen that exact bike hinder rider development much more than help. The reason is because it is not a real dirt bike. The suspension works OK within its intended design parameters but the overall setup is is extremely soft and has almost no damping at all. I helped a father and son out on a ride earlier this year who had matching brand new 250Ls. I ended up riding them down some obstacles they were not comfortable doing, and the suspension was not suitable for anything except gentle terrain at low speeds. Like barely moving speeds.

You bought an entry level dual sport bike. That bike will be a major handful in any true off road situation, including the sand and the whoops at Sam Houston.

I am not trying to run down your choice of motorcycles. Your bike is a great one for its intended purpose. I am just giving your my perspective from a rider who has gotten lots of new folks involved in the sport of dirt biking.

When you do go riding on real trails, borrow some time on a bike that is a dedicated dirt bike, I think your perspective on what is suitable will shift quickly.

Last edited:

Johnf3 was one of the guys on here that I was referring to about really knowing his stuff. You asked for recommendations about what bike to buy. You didn't take the advice of the guys on here that know they're stuff in my opinion.
I'm about the same weight as you and know now how much a good set up suspension helps .

Johnf3 really knows his stuff, he's a very serious off-roader. I like getting his opinion on stuff. But I guess the thing that deicides if this is a good bike for Jarrett is Jarrett and what he wants to do on the bike. Everyone doesn't want to rip down a trail like us guys who race and even "race" with our buddies when play riding. For his purposes this could be a good bike for him. If not he'll figure it out in short order. Either way it's got him in the game and enjoying a different discipline of riding.

I really am not. As a older rider who sees our sport of true off road riding possibly dying out to a lack of new riders and a lack of places to ride, I want all new riders to have the best possible initial experiences so they stay engaged. I am just trying to give constructive feedback. I guess it may be direct, but not sure how else to communicate it.

You already have a big dual sport that you are pretty comfortable riding--your Africa Twin. I read where you talked about pushing it up over 100 mph and telling us it will wheelie in second gear. So, you may be a newer rider but you seem to be pretty comfortable on a motorcycle in general. You started this thread asking about a dirt bike, and indicated you are eager to hit some real motorcycle trails.

I think at the level you will be capable of riding at, you are going to run smack into the limit of what a 250L will do in a true off road situation. My perspective there is trails like at SHNF, or any true off road riding area. I am not talking about dirt roads in the Hill Country or Big Bend. A 250L is fine on that type of terrain, but I get the feeling from your posts that you want to do more than that.

I will bow out of making any further comments here. My apologies if i offended you with any of my comments. Hope to see you on the trail someday and share some nice single track with you.

Johnf3 really knows his stuff, he's a very serious off-roader. I like getting his opinion on stuff. But I guess the thing that deicides if this is a good bike for Jarrett is Jarrett and what he wants to do on the bike. Everyone doesn't want to rip down a trail like us guys who race and even "race" with our buddies when play riding. For his purposes this could be a good bike for him. If not he'll figure it out in short order. Either way it's got him in the game and enjoying a different discipline of riding.

^^This^^

As much as my heart beats fondly for my old KTM300, I rode the DR200 far, far more frequently. Around the farm and the neighborhood it was just more practical. If I lived in SoCal or had a lot of near by acres to ride on, a 300 or the like would be back in the stable, but it was not the bike/place/time for me. Oddly enough I sold both bikes to the same guy on the same day.

"Maybe I should run with my dual sport hazard lights on to keep the serious off-roaders from mowing me down on the trails "

Nobody insinuated this, we all have different goals in our riding. I don't look down on anyone, if you're having fun, that's all that matters. I ride a lot of street but I'm a "squid" there, I don't hang it out on the street. Everyone has their comfort zone.

Last edited:

Just get out and ride the dang thing!! :-P

You will know soon enough whether it is the right bike for what you want to do and you can move on from there. Nothing is set in stone. Woodsguy nailed it. Go have fun! :flip:

From the sounds of it, you are already loving and using the bike for it's intended use. You enjoy running errands (on the street) and running around your pasture. Yes it's not a crazy dirt bike but you don't have to trailer it to the trail as well. Will it ride on or off road at a comfortable speed? Is it a great bike for your daughter to learn? Are you never allowed to buy a new bike again when you are ready? I think you can figure those things out. It's a great bike and does exceptional well at what it is designed for of which it sounds like you are already enjoying it for. I have enjoyed mountain bike riding, rock crawling in Jeep's, and riding motorcycles on and off road. I have never had the best tool for the job but I always had fun with what I had and what I could afford. Slow and steady wins the race. Congratulations on the purchase and enjoy it. If you ride to the limit of the bike and you want more, then make it happen. If you don't find the limits of the bike in your riding then you are good to go.

I don't claim to be a dirt bike ride in any way but the most fun I have had in single track with sand and rocks was on a CT70. Ride what you can and pick the thing up and carry it over what you can't. ;-)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Good stuff, thanks :)

One other good use. It's a good first bike to get on. Good for friends that have never ridden before to come out and take it for a spin around the pasture in relative safety. My buddy and his wife both came out and rode it last night while their daughter played with the dogs, horses and goats. Might have a new TWT'er soon.

37421114_10212380645694592_8768932035575152640_n.jpg

Most excellent! still may get one myself.

Great picture by the way.

Jarrett said:

Don't you hate that? It truly is the hand and not the tool with in reason.
His wife took it, she's a pro photographer. She gets all the good shots even with a phone.

Funny thing. After riding this CRF250L only for the last couple of weeks, I hopped on my daughter's NC700X and went down at the street and back and the acceleration surprised me a little.

And it's slow compared to my big bike. Now I'm a little scared to get back on my Africa Twin :)

It's wild what we get used to.

Once you learn a bike, it's super easy to re-acclimate yourself to it. Ride 3 corners on it and you'll be back at home on it.

(at least that's my experience with the various bikes in my garage)

Back