TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
blupupher
 
blupupher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Katy, Republic of Texas
Posts: 142
Where do people find the cheap bikes?

So I have been looking around on craigslist for a sub $1000 (actually closer to $500) bike for my 15 yr old daughter to learn to ride on.
A street legal (or able to be street legal) bike, 500cc or less. Cosmetic not important, just something that works. No real preference for street, cruiser, dual sport etc.

Everything I find for <$1000 is a parts bike or "project" bike. Or no/lost title, flooded or just sketchy overall.
Maybe is it just around Houston it is like this. I have searched areas within 200 miles of me though.
I could handle something that just needs some basic work (carb work or tires or such), but not something that needs a rebuild.
Things I look at (the Rebel 250, Suzuki TU/GZ etc) are $2000+, even for 20 year old bikes.

I always hear about the great deals people find, but not sure where they find them. I don't really know where else to look besides craigslist and cycle-trader (way overpriced). Any other suggestions?

I have seen a few good deals for sale here, but at the time I was not really looking to buy, but nothing lately, is it just the time of year?

This is something of what I am looking for, just not that big.
Or should I buy this, fix and flip it ?
__________________
1994 Honda VT1100 Shadow
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Meriden
 
Meriden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: At the back of the pack and out of the dust
Posts: 5,310
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

I'm not sure you're going to find much in that range outside of a buddy deal. With that said a couple of guys here have posted up "I want a ... and am willing to pay $..." and ended up with a deal. It's worth trying.
__________________
Meriden

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
2WheelNut
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Arlington
Posts: 345
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Most people doing the Craigslist thing search for what they are selling and price it where others seem to. They don't actually research what it "should" be worth.

That being the case....if everyone seems to ask $1500 for a running bike, people start thinking theirs is worth that.

I'd suggest finding ads that are 3 weeks old or more and offering what you think they are worth. Some will ignore you but others will take it.

Having said that, a bike that runs and passes inspection is probably worth $500 minimum. If it's decent looking or capable at all, it's probably worth $800 to $1000.
__________________
Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2013 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
2012 Yamaha WR450F (Plated)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track only)
2WheelNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Annhl8rX
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,443
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

If you’re looking for something just for her to dip her toe in the water you could probably get some kind of Chinese scooter for $500. It’s at least let her get the feel of balancing and using the throttle. It wouldn’t be a long term option, but I don’t think anything you could get for that price would be. Once she gets comfortable in that and has a good amount of seat time you could start looking for a “real” starter bike.
Annhl8rX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
kurt
Administrator
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lago Vista, Texas
Posts: 19,430
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

I don't think I've seen a street worthy bike for less than $1500 in a very long time. Most are at least $2500. They may be out there, but everything I've seen in that range needs serious parts, repairs or maintenance.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
texten
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 46
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

This looks pretty nice in San Antonio.
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mc...662583305.html
texten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
tshelfer
 
tshelfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arlington
Posts: 11,281
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Frankly, in that price range these days, your best chance may be to pick up a street-legal dirt bike with a lost title. Whatever you pay for the bike, though, factor in about $125 extra to cover the bonding fee + assorted state fees. If you have a buddy who can run the VIN first, the risk isn't really high, since that's exactly what the bonding company will do. If the bike later turns up on a stolen list, it's the bonding company's problem, not yours. Just be prepared to spend all day walking the red tape.
__________________
Tim in Arlington
'12 black Suzuki WeeStrom
Preach the gospel. And if necessary, use words - Francis of Assisi

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
Annhl8rX
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,443
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texten View Post
This looks pretty nice in San Antonio.
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mc...662583305.html


That’s gotta be a scam.
Annhl8rX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #9
tojo92
 
tojo92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 542
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Find a Buell Blast and offer $1k.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...662970454.html

or...

Try an older small cc

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...646639110.html
__________________
Staton


I'm just sayin...
tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,166
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I don't think I've seen a street worthy bike for less than $1500 in a very long time. Most are at least $2500. They may be out there, but everything I've seen in that range needs serious parts, repairs or maintenance.
This! To find something under $2500 that is street legal, in any size, and not in need of serious work is pretty rare, even with crappy cosmetics. You might find a few dual sport type bikes in that range, but they will likely be too tall. I would focus on finding some kind of dirt bike in the 125-250cc range and let her learn on that. Stay OFF the streets for now. Then, if she has an aptitude for riding and likes it, you might be more inclined to spend a bit more for a decent street legal bike.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #11
jbird710
 
jbird710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: League City, Texas
Posts: 2,389
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Send thebigman a pm about the bike he recently got back. It's a Honda Trail 110 (I think) and he was wanting to sell it. It's street legal and he has a title for it. It's a perfect bike to learn on with the exception that it doesn't have a manual clutch.
__________________
Jay

Don't you know about the Bird?

7 Hondas, a Harley, and a basket case Suzuki
"The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect"
jbird710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #12
h2000fb
Forum Supporter
 
h2000fb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Crawford, TX
Posts: 2,298
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
So I have been looking around on craigslist for a sub $1000 (actually closer to $500) bike for my 15 yr old daughter to learn to ride on.
A street legal (or able to be street legal) bike, 500cc or less. Cosmetic not important, just something that works. No real preference for street, cruiser, dual sport etc.

Everything I find for <$1000 is a parts bike or "project" bike. Or no/lost title, flooded or just sketchy overall.
Maybe is it just around Houston it is like this. I have searched areas within 200 miles of me though.
I could handle something that just needs some basic work (carb work or tires or such), but not something that needs a rebuild.
Things I look at (the Rebel 250, Suzuki TU/GZ etc) are $2000+, even for 20 year old bikes.

I always hear about the great deals people find, but not sure where they find them. I don't really know where else to look besides craigslist and cycle-trader (way overpriced). Any other suggestions?

> > > > PM sent to you < < < < <

I have seen a few good deals for sale here, but at the time I was not really looking to buy, but nothing lately, is it just the time of year?

This is something of what I am looking for, just not that big.
Or should I buy this, fix and flip it ?
How about a Suzuki 650 Savage? I think I might know where one is with that might just fit your requirements. I believe it has between 1500-1800 miles on it. The fellow got it in trade and just put it in the garage and left it. It is nice shape, just set up for a while. I rode it down the block and it did well. I will call him tonight and check up on it.
__________________
CHEER UP! In a 20 years, the way things are going, these will be the good ol’ days. .


Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv

Last edited by h2000fb; 08-06-2018 at 10:46 PM.
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
blupupher
 
blupupher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Katy, Republic of Texas
Posts: 142
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
I'm not sure you're going to find much in that range outside of a buddy deal. With that said a couple of guys here have posted up "I want a ... and am willing to pay $..." and ended up with a deal. It's worth trying.
I guess I am looking for the buddy deal, but not from a buddy.

I am still in the "just window shopping phase" right now, unless I find a really good deal.
When I get to the actual point of needing to buy, I may post up here then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
...
I'd suggest finding ads that are 3 weeks old or more and offering what you think they are worth. Some will ignore you but others will take it.
...
That is what I did when I found my Shadow. Got it for $500 less than he was asking.

Guess there is no harm is going low if I find something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annhl8rX View Post
If you’re looking for something just for her to dip her toe in the water you could probably get some kind of Chinese scooter for $500. It’s at least let her get the feel of balancing and using the throttle....
I would rather not have her learn "wrong" on a scooter (don't want her getting used to grabbing the rear brake with left hand or not pulling in the clutch when stopping).
If she starts on a scooter, I would rather her stay on a scooter. Which may be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
Frankly, in that price range these days, your best chance may be to pick up a street-legal dirt bike with a lost title. Whatever you pay for the bike, though, factor in about $125 extra to cover the bonding fee + assorted state fees. ... Just be prepared to spend all day walking the red tape.
Don't want to mess with lost or missing titles, specifically because of the theft and extra cost issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annhl8rX View Post
That’s gotta be a scam.
I agree, same bike is listed here in Houston...

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/d...662633074.html

and San Antonio...

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mc...662583305.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo92 View Post
That is something I would like...

Seems Austin has a lot more deals than Houston.

Also found this one:

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...662666945.html

almost something I would want for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2000fb View Post
How about a Suzuki 650 Savage? I think I might know where one is with that might just fit your requirements. I believe it has between 1500-1800 miles on it. The fellow got it in trade and just put it in the garage and left it. It is nice shape, just set up for a while. I rode it down the block and it did well. I will call him tonight and check up on it.
A 650 i a little bigger than what I am looking for, although the Savage does not have that much power, and is not all that heavy.
If you would PM me info if you get it, that would be great.


I will probably just wait out till we do the MSF basic course and let her decide on their bikes if she really wants to do it.

Thanks for all the input.
__________________
1994 Honda VT1100 Shadow

Last edited by blupupher; 08-06-2018 at 10:39 PM.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #14
h2000fb
Forum Supporter
 
h2000fb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Crawford, TX
Posts: 2,298
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

PM Sent.

This bike is like sitting on a bicycle. Skinny, light, small. About like riding a 250 Rebel.
__________________
CHEER UP! In a 20 years, the way things are going, these will be the good ol’ days. .


Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #15
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,166
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

That 650 Savage would be great.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #16
RTL
 
RTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keithville, LA
Posts: 582
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

I sold a low mileage Yamaha V-Star 250 about a year ago. My wife and son learned to ride on that little bike. Very user friendly, light, not too powerful and low seat height allow shorter folks to easily reach the ground. I highly recommend this bike for true beginners, especially women.
RTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #17
CBaron
 
CBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 234
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
I strongly think this one is also a scam.

-CJB
__________________
KTM 250 EXC
Looking to get into the dual sport world...
CBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #18
Kilroy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 273
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

I was effectively flipping bikes for about 2 years in Austin. Takeaways:

-If it runs at all, I put base value at around $1k. It has to be pretty rough for me to see a bike for less than that.

-Austin craigslist is cheaper for everything but dirtbikes and older japanese stuff. Those are cheaper in Dallas and Houston. There's no dirt scene here in Austin, and the older Japanese stuff is popular here amongst the hipster crowd (myself included).

-VIN checks are cheap, a bonded title is honestly minimal trouble, and if it's old enough you can Vermont title it. Especially if this is going to be a "learn to wrench" bike.

- Being in the window shopping phase is great. Hold your cards as long as you can stand it. Prices dip with the first couple of cold snaps, bottoms in about January/February. If you need something before then, look for older ads.

-Remember that nobody's prices are firm. If they are, they're not going to be fun to do business with anyway.

-Watch out for stick on carbon fiber stickers. This is the most reliable predictor of whether a bike has been abused.
__________________
Joel Simmons
2006 Triumph Bonneville
2005 KTM 450 EXC Six Days
1974 Honda CB350-Four
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
Kilroy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 273
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
I strongly think this one is also a scam.

-CJB
Note, particularly, that the honda logo is backwards.
__________________
Joel Simmons
2006 Triumph Bonneville
2005 KTM 450 EXC Six Days
1974 Honda CB350-Four
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #20
blupupher
 
blupupher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Katy, Republic of Texas
Posts: 142
Re: Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Note, particularly, that the honda logo is backwards.
I saw that after I posted.
__________________
1994 Honda VT1100 Shadow
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-18.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.28035 seconds with 12 queries