• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WACO AREA: Hammock courious? Nov 8-11 lake Fairfield.

misterk

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I will be there Thursday and Friday night

My rig looks like this

7582ee1ba29fe288a102ec5fbe2d9dd3.jpg

From here:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum...vember-8-11-2018-10th-Annual-Texas-Fall-Group

It’s HOT. There’s more triple digit temps to come! The Texas Butt Bake Hang has just wrapped up and I’m praying for snow. At least I’m ready for some cool weather and that means fall! This post is long so hang in there until the end.

It’s time to start talking about November and the 10th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang! Here’s a “save the date” and link to our FAQs. The official planning spreadsheet will be up in the next few days.

Mark November 8 - 11, 2018 on your calendar for the 10th Annual Texas Fall Hammock Hang at Fairfield Lake State Park. #TFH2018

It’s a great time to renew friendships, make new ones, and play with gear, so don’t miss out.

For our 10th year of this annual event, it wouldn’t seem right to be any time or place than we’ve done before, so let’s meet the weekend of the second Saturday in November at Fairfield Lake State Park once again!

What started with a handful of folks from South/Central Texas in early 2009 has surpassed the century mark with past participants from Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Michigan, Ohio, and places forgotten or unknown.

In some years, this planning thread has become a multipage read with some of the details lost in the conversations. To keep the conversations going, yet simplify the scrolling, the FAQs and all the details needed are posted in a Google Doc for everyone’s review.

If you have not been to this event before, don’t worry; details and FAQs are posted and should be a help. Please take a few moments and scroll through some of last year’s planning and trip reports. It will help answer questions you may have and maybe create some that can be addressed on this thread in the weeks to come. Again, so we’re all on the same page, if you haven’t been to this event before, or if you’ve been to every one since we started, please take a few minutes to read the FAQs that can be found at this link.

This is a car camping event for those who like to bring everything; (the location has showers and porcelain facilities for those who won’t leave home without them); day hikes for those so inclined; lake paddling; fishing; pot luck dinners; Dutch oven cooking; DIY play time; lots of show and tell along with a little gear trading; group buys; stove tests; drawings for prizes, and some wonderful campfire fellowship.

I’ll post a planning spreadsheet soon, so until then, save the date, check out the info in the FAQs and dream about cold fronts.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.

Not sure if I can make this or not, but I was hoping to check out your setup at RTB.

There are so many motorcycle camping events, I've considered giving it a try.

Thanks for posting.

Not sure if I can make this or not, but I was hoping to check out your setup at RTB.

There are so many motorcycle camping events, I've considered giving it a try.

If I stay in a hotel, I feel like I am at a work function. Nothing better than enjoying the great outdoors........in the great outdoors!

Moto-Camping does take a lot of time and practice to determine what works for each individual and their comfort level. I left my house Friday in the pouring rain and set up camp in the pouring rain. I basically relaxed in my hammock from 4pm till 8:30am. All my camping buddies said I was crazy. My wife said I was crazy. All her friends said I was crazy.

To me....going out in the woods on my motorcycle , relaxing in my hammock, listening to the piter patter of rain drops on my tarp, having a little campfire.....paradise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting. My hammock has only been used on a single two night excursion. Would be nice to learn some more. And that's actually probably doable on my DRZ so I could test packing and living off of it. Or I could bring the truck and the new dutch oven I picked up and learn about that too. Have to think about this and talk with the wife.

Interesting. My hammock has only been used on a single two night excursion. Would be nice to learn some more. And that's actually probably doable on my DRZ so I could test packing and living off of it. Or I could bring the truck and the new dutch oven I picked up and learn about that too. Have to think about this and talk with the wife.
If you bring the dutch oven, I will bring the fixins for peach cobbler in the dutch oven!

Don’t forget to season your Dutch oven before cooking.

Last edited:
I have a work trip to Austin those same days but we are supposed to be out early Saturday. I received that sideways hammock I mentioned in Mena. Maybe it will be a good chance to have expert help for its (and my) inaugural tree lashing! Thanks for the news :-)

Looks like I have a green light to do this. I should also have a comp day earned by then at work that I could take on Friday to take my time heading down.

MisterK, are you sharing a site with anyone yet? Also, that's a nice HUGE lightweight looking tarp you have there, and a nice stand as well.

Looks like I have a green light to do this. I should also have a comp day earned by then at work that I could take on Friday to take my time heading down.

MisterK, are you sharing a site with anyone yet? Also, that's a nice HUGE lightweight looking tarp you have there, and a nice stand as well.

Awesome! I would be happy to share a site with you. When you register, put in the comments you and I will share a site. I am under Kevin Landis or Misterk

My tarp is a Kelty 12' Noah, not necessarily lightweight, weighs about 2 pounds. Out of all my tarps, it has been my favorite for the last 6 years. The Tensa 4 stand has been a game changer for me.

I have a work trip to Austin those same days but we are supposed to be out early Saturday. I received that sideways hammock I mentioned in Mena. Maybe it will be a good chance to have expert help for its (and my) inaugural tree lashing! Thanks for the news :-)

This will be the place to figure it out. There will be over 190 hammockers, I am sure someone will have the same quirky hammock :lol2:

Awesome! I would be happy to share a site with you. When you register, put in the comments you and I will share a site. I am under Kevin Landis or Misterk

Will do. I'll do the official sign up later this week once I confirm with my boss the use of my comp day, he's currently out sick.

We're booked for an RV spot that weekend. I think we're in Cooks Ferry.

I'll bring the NC700X and we can ride a bit if you want.

We're booked for an RV spot that weekend. I think we're in Cooks Ferry.

I'll bring the NC700X and we can ride a bit if you want.

Hey Jarrett, that sounds great. I think they have the entire Cooks Ferry campground booked up for the hang.

This will be the place to figure it out. There will be over 190 hammockers, I am sure someone will have the same quirky hammock [emoji38]2:
I will see how the schedule rolls! Hopefully, the hammock won't with me in it [emoji39]

MisterK, RV place just called and said trailer won't be ready for this weekend, so not going to make it for camping.

Subsequently, a spot just opened up in case anyone needs one.

Are you doing any riding over the weekend in the area?

MisterK, RV place just called and said trailer won't be ready for this weekend, so not going to make it for camping.

Subsequently, a spot just opened up in case anyone needs one.

Are you doing any riding over the weekend in the area?

I am mostly going to just "Hang" around LOL

Take extra blankies-cold fronts coming thru!
Packed. My wife and son love these cheap little fleece throw blankets. From out of nowhere once my wife suggested taking one and I gave her the look but took it anyway. Amazing the difference it makes inside the sleeping bag. Got a Star Wars one packed. :rider:

Looking forward to campfires in the evening and coffee in the morning.

Misterk is already out there, looks to be just south of the steady rain rolling through here right now.

We were both in 92 I think it was. I ended up having a dead battery on the FJR and took the truck. Misterk had to leave today and I'd planned on riding but since my camp mate went home and I was stuck with just a truck, I headed out. Stayed warm last night, saw some cool rigs, and boy did we eat well this morning.

For those who were thinking of coming and didn't, here's what you missed out on Saturday morning.

They cooked up 50 lbs of potatoes, 12-15 dozen eggs, 10 pounds of cheese, 12 pounds of bacon and an untold number of onions and peppers. Delicious breakfast tacos.

IMG_20181110_082104-L.jpg

It was a great camp out. Thanks Jason for coming out I enjoyed spending time with you. I left my house at around 1 o’clock on Thursday got down to the campsite about 330 it was raining when I left and it was raining when I got there.

Thursday night was just perfect, the rain came in around 10 o’clock and put me to sleep just listing to the pitter patter of the rain on my tarp was just lovely. I slept like a baby that night.

Woke up Friday and one of the campers prepared breakfast for everybody at that time there’s probably about 50 campers there by the time we got to Friday night there’s about 180 campers.

It is quite different camping with people who backpack and camp compared to those who ride motorcycles and camp. I much preferred to camp with motorcycle riders because you talk about great trip’s, roads and crashes. camping with nonriders you can only hear so many raccoon stories.

There were a lot of different configurations of hammocks and tarps. I got some great ideas. it’s kind of a nice camping with no one that you know because it gives you a chance to meet new people.

Saturday morning a guy name Jacob who had a stand like mine I was looking at his hammock set up and told him that I want to get rid the ropes on the Hennessey hammock. Jacob set up his Hennessey hammock and he showed me how to open it up on the ends and remove the rope and then replace that with amsteel loops.

I bought two close loops of amsteel from one of the vendors. I went back and took it apart and replaced the rope with the loops. My hammock is exactly how I want now.

e810682a23b368dbc81c62bcc7546b52.jpg

d2e75e509185eb339df3148885821c23.jpg

061a32601dc6ec3429dad5fbffa2354c.jpg

I also inadvertently provided hours of entertainment for misterk. As I couldn't bring the bike I had to bring the truck, and there was a little cardinal that fell in love with the bird it saw in my mirrors and wouldn't leave my truck alone the entire time, and now my doors are covered in bird poop.

I should have stopped by. I ended up riding to Huntsville to eat lunch with a buddy.

I was hustling to get back by dinner time with the fam and blew through Fairfield.

That VFR is A LOT of fun on the interstate, by the way :D

I also inadvertently provided hours of entertainment for misterk. As I couldn't bring the bike I had to bring the truck, and there was a little cardinal that fell in love with the bird it saw in my mirrors and wouldn't leave my truck alone the entire time, and now my doors are covered in bird poop.
that was a strange little bird!

Back