TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #41
Dave Bell

Re: Ride Hard, Take Unnecessary Chances, Safety Third - MexTrek 2009

very good pictures richard. thanks for all your help. I think we all owe you a brew, maybe 2.

dave

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...513844260&ap=1

Iron Butt Member #22319
2005 Dakar 650 "Vera Wang"
2011 Ural Gear Up "Vlad the impaler"
2008 Yamaha WR250R "El Burrito"
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #42
solorider

I wasn't feeling very good and didn't keep my end of the bargain about taking plenty pics. But here's a nice panorama on the way to Galeana:

You can almost make a white vehicle on the far mountain!

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
solorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #43
T Hurst

Best time of my second third of my life Wow is all I can say I am definitely returning
T Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #44
way-man

It really was a GREAT trip. Thanks to everyone who helped put it together and to everyone for the good times.
way-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #45
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

So there were a few cases of Montezuma's revenge? I'd hate to get all the way down there and them miss the riding because of that!

Looking over these pictures and reading the reports is making me sick... It looks like a spectacular place. I had hoped to scope out some of the local real real estate around Galeana, you know... maybe as a place to "retire" and host adventure rides

Total Forum Supporter Donations For March: $517.60 - Previous Month: $1138.90 - Record High: Feb 09 $1360.84
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #46
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser
TWT Site Sponsor

Thursday - riding the General Zaragoza Route

I had originally planned on riding with Stuntman Jeff on my favorite dirt road ever on the Potrero Redondo route, but a change of plans cropped up. So, instead, I headed south to ride the General Zaragoza route. I had not ridden all of the Zaragoza route yet. I had been on part of it last year while exploring a new route and wanted to complete it. Today was the day.

Milton, Juan, Bob, and I suited up after a fine breakfast buffet and pointed our bikes south.

The morning was crisp and cool, the sun was shining, and a mist hung over the mountains. A great day for a dual sport ride.

Mountains in the Mist

During a short break, another group of riders showed up, headed toward the Milpillas route and its 30 river crossings.

The ride south on pavement was uneventful except for Juan hitting a cow. The story goes like this. As we passed by a group of cows on the side of the road, one of them spooked. It ran down the street, parallel to our direction of travel. Just as Juan drew abreast of the cow it decided to veer into the center of the road, consequently bumping into his bike. He gave the cow a kick which caused it to veer back toward the edge of the road. Juan was able to maintain control of his bike. No harm, no foul. None of us got any pictures, so you'll have to decide whether to believe the story or not.

On with the countdown.

Our route took us through the towns of Aramberri and General Zaragoza. Milton needed fuel so we stopped at the gas store.

There are several dirt roads leaving town. Following the "el salto" signs will get you on the correct one. El Salto is a large waterfall in the area.

The General Zaragoza route is a class 3, not a class 2 as the ride guide indicates (I'll make the correction in the next edition). In any case, it is a fantastic route!!! Highly recommended if you like class 3 riding. It goes over 2 mountain passes, includes lots and lots of steep climbs, and generally is a real hoot. It's very rocky in areas so I would not suggest riding it on one of the big adventure bikes, but on a KLR or similar type bike it is loads of fun.

Milton flexing

Riding in the trees

Around noon we crossed over the first mountain pass and, then, a short time later, reach the small pueblo of La Encantada. Several older gentlemen were hanging out near the road so we stopped to say hello.

Meeting the locals

Hanging out on a Thursday afternoon

At first the locals were a bit reserved but soon warmed up to us. We passed out candy to the kids and then to everyone else. About 10 minutes after we got there, another group of riders showed up from the opposite direction of travel. They had started earlier than us and were riding the same route counterclockwise.

We visited with the locals a bit more, traded route information with the other group of riders, and then motored off.

The riding was just fantastic. Here's some random shots along the way.

Milton and Juan

"I want you to ride the General Zaragoza route." - tricepilot

village Joya de San Diego panorama

Looking back on the way we had come. We had ridden that road over the mountain and across the valley and were now headed up over the 2nd mountain pass.

This route includes lots of climbing and many, many switchbacks.

Finally, late in the afternoon and tired and hungry, we reached pavement again, just a few tenths of a mile south of the La Ascencion. A short break at an Abarrotes (Mexican grocery store, sort of like a convenience store) for a bit of food and drink was just what we needed to get us back to Galeana.

Speaking of food and drink, it is normal to skip lunch during MexTrek. There are generally few restaurants on any of the routes. In the small villages you can generally find a tienda (store) or abarrotes where you can buy a soda, water, etc and some snacks but most villages don't have a sit-down restaurant. Most riders bring snacks (jerky, trail mix, power bars, etc) to eat during the ride, but even so, you still tend to get pretty hungry by suppertime.

Once back in Galeana we got cleaned up and headed over to La Casona del General for a hot meal, cold beer, and some story telling.

Swapping stories while waiting on the food.

Have a coke and a smile, we're dual sport riding in Mexico

After dinner, it was back to the plaza for a little drinking and more stories.

Delores

John fell down today and busted his KLR. He carried his busted instrument panel back to Galeana in his trunk.

As they say, that was that. Along about 10:30p.m. I wandered off to bed. It had been an excellent day of riding but I was tired and sleepy. Tomorrow I was venturing off into the unknown and needed my beauty rest.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

Last edited by Trail Boss; 10-21-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Trail Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #47
miltonotto

I'm gonna jump in here with my photos of the same route.
Thanks to the Thread Masters for (finally) allowing edits. I'm gonna reserve my space here with Richard documenting Thursday's ride.

Gentlemen at the plaza of La Encontada, up the mountain from Zaragoza.

TricePilot in La Encontada. The mountain peak in the background is called El Viejo (like me) and it stands guard overlooking Zaragoza, many rocky switchbacks away.

Juan from Spain & Mexico, a current resident of Austin, Texas, chatting it up with the gentlemen of La Encontada

By remarkable coincidence, while chatting with the gentlemen of La Encontada, Roberto and his group for the day pulled up coming from the opposite direction.

Roberto & Stingray Scott

Approaching La Siberia, a horse raising town.
I had fun reminding the boys that I first did this section 10 years ago, solo on my 1985 Harley Low Rider. A stunt even I have a hard time believing. Talk about unnecessary chances.
I didn't even have a patch kit. Never considered it.
Uhhh Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches!
Ah but I was so much older then.....

Approaching La Siberia

This is what I call the edge of the world.
Here, near the crossroads of Puerto El Pino, the road descends to the desert floor. Matehuala and the mountains of Catorce lie out there in the haze.

PinkFloyd led a group down this way last year, it leads to San Antonio Peña Nevada and La Bolsa, with a side road to Miquihuana. This area will provide challenging and interesting riding experiences for years to come.

That's Piña Nevada peak in the background, one of the highest peaks in the region, a landmark from Hwy 57 and Matehuala. Its on a par with El Potosi, which is higher.
I went that way on my Harley 10 years ago, looped thru Miquihuana and back to Santa Engracia.
The road's been improved since then.
Now there are concrete sections.

Today, our group took a right back up at the crossroads for the route described in the ride guide.
Unknown territory for me. I think Richard was a little surprised when I admitted I only knew the next section by maps. I'd never actually been there before.

I think these were taken near Joya de San Diego.

Between La Cieneguita and San Francisco. A rough section of the route.

The last shot of the day for me. The same El Viejo standing over Zaragoza, now two ranges away.
~C. S. Lewis

Why My Friends Won't Ride With Me

He's a tour guide, John, what the bleep does he know?"

Wrong Way 'Round the Bend 2011
Uncle's Around the Bend, the Wrong way
Harleys 2 Mexico 2009 Tour
MexTrek 2008
Mexico March Ride (2008)
Peru, 2003
miltonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #48
MotoRod

Here are just a few of the memorable moments I had while riding the Nuevo Leon Range.

We were extremely lucky this year to be traveling via truck. All of our extra gear, tools, and two almost trusty steeds came along, but you do have to watch out for the stingray he is mighty mean in the desert.

One of the best things about riding in Mexico is all the great food. Of course the hardest thing in Mexico is trying to figure out where that good food is. Roberto (on right) was extremely helpful in separating the tourist traps from the amazing latin cuisine, on multiple occasions the locals warmed up to us and pointed out the best place in town.

On a few chance encounters the roads were blocked by cows, the only bad memory this brought back is the big black bull tied to the bottom of mount potosi.

Milton deserves extra credit all around on this trip including the award for most original trail and most adventurous smile.

I'm no genius when it comes to navigation, I can usually get by but to me its something that you learn from those with years of experience, no complaints these guys know alot about direction.

Milton may have to clarify the name of these. But I guess the TP is still a good modern form of camping.

Waterfalls are cool too in the middle of the day.

Now on to the Action:

Mexico Day 1 in HD
http://www.vholdr.com/node/48793

Mexico Day 2 in HD
http://www.vholdr.com/node/48972

Mexico Day 3 in HD (Watch till the end )
http://www.vholdr.com/node/49057

Street

Now that is a Goat Trail

Got Trail?

Turn around time (one by one)

And of course don't forget Hugo mistakenly brought a spare 17 inch tube to Juans F650's rescue

This was absolutely a blast this year. I appreciate everything Richard has done for the sport. I'm also glad to see so many new faces on this trip, hopefully there will be more adventure to come.

-Jarrett aka "Lance Chameleon"

"In the universe, there are things that are known, and things that are unknown, and in between, there are borders."

MexTrek 2009 + Video
Rides: TE450, G650X, YZ250F
MotoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #49
kennyanc

Great pics Jarrett, wish I could have been there. It would have been great to ride with you, Scott, and Roberto again. Looks like some fun routes.

Kenny
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #50
MotoRod

Kenny,
Good to hear from you, you would have enjoyed the riding, well except maybe for the goat trail, turning the bikes around was an adventure all its own .

-Jarrett aka "Lance Chameleon"

"In the universe, there are things that are known, and things that are unknown, and in between, there are borders."

MexTrek 2009 + Video
Rides: TE450, G650X, YZ250F
MotoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #51
miltonotto

Dang! What kool videos Jarrett!!
~C. S. Lewis

MexTrek 2008
Mexico March Ride (2008)
Peru, 2003
Old 10-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #52
miltonotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRod View Post
Got Trail?
This is classic.
~C. S. Lewis

MexTrek 2008
Mexico March Ride (2008)
Peru, 2003
Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #53
DaveC

What! How about a byline on this "trail"!

"heck, that ain't far! Let's ride"
Quote:
"Such as thou art, so once was I
As I am now, so shalt thou be"
Inscribed on the tomb of The Black Prince , Edward of Woodstock, 1376
Quote:
Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.
Will Rogers

Ride Naked!
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #54
mlstults
Forum Supporter

"TricePilot in La Encontada. The mountain peak in the background is called El Viejo (like me) and it stands guard overlooking Zaragoza, many rocky switchbacks away."
Milton quote above.

When I told the two Mexican men that took me to the boarder that I was just and old man, they responded with," the mountains are 100's of years older and they stiil have wood standing tall".
mlstults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #55
miltonotto

~C. S. Lewis

MexTrek 2008
Mexico March Ride (2008)
Peru, 2003
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #56
Jbay

this is the best thread ever!!! (the photos are great and make me feel like I was there, just at a nice, comfortable distance )
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #57
Dave Bell

these are great photos. my slideshow grows and grows. If you guys have not taken the time to watch Jarretts' videos, you must do so immediately. I would give a lot to be as young as some of you guys, with the time to develop the skills and the resources to do stuff like this. Enjoy it while you can.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...513844260&ap=1

Iron Butt Member #22319
2005 Dakar 650 "Vera Wang"
2011 Ural Gear Up "Vlad the impaler"
2008 Yamaha WR250R "El Burrito"
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #58
izz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It turns out my bike likes the "unknown"

See Shadman Peter working on the worlds first Mextrek hydrogen powered motorcycle, with pure H2O as the only exhaust!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcUS...layer_embedded

I had a GREAT time in Mexico, I can not wait to find more beutiful places for us to have our bikes breakdown.

Speaking of beautiful places, here's the first of the 28 - Routa Del Muerto river crossings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxZH3SeMOZs

I think it was Tricepilot who reccomended bringing soccer balls for the kids, here's a video of some kids at a school on the "Top of the World" trail getting two of the three I brought to Mexico.(next year I will bring more)-The teacher said they didn't yet have a real soccer ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdgKL93UsE

Just so we get up in time for the days rides(and bacon,coffee and eggs) here's Galeanas own dog sounding alarm clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRYiwnlawwo

And once you get back after dark in the rain, you can have the guy with that Total Recall growth wash your bike for 20 pesos plus tip.

This next photo just sums up how much fun we had in Mexico:

2006 CRF450X
1989 XL600V Transalp
1994 Cannondale Super V
izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #59
izz

The H2O exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcUSCqNwIY

2006 CRF450X
1989 XL600V Transalp
1994 Cannondale Super V
izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #60
jredford

Quote:
Originally Posted by izz View Post
IZZ, you are the man! Saved our butts, many thanks.

2005 R1200 RT
2007 CRF450X "Tarded"
2006 FZ1
2007 R6 Race bike
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote