• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Heart Sunk Today

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wagner
Well it has been right at 3 month's that Kaitlin has had her "M", and today after a heart to heart.

As much as she likes riding as a pillion it has not transfered to being the rider. She is scared to death of the cars and the possible outcomes that can ensue. She is most confident when dad is driving and feels that I need to get another bike bigger for 2 up riding.

As much as I hate to see her stop riding, I have to respect that she has tried and succeeded with very few faults.

I do think she was good, but since she can't shake the feeling of the idiot cagers I am not going to push her.

I love my little girl for trying and I told her to maintain the "M" because you never know when the urge will strike.

So on that note it is time to sell the 250 Ninja, I think unless someone has a trade on a nice dual sport.

I love my little girl for trying and I told her to maintain the "M" because you never know when the urge will strike.

Well, she hasn't jousted with the traffic in a car yet, so there is always the future for 2 wheels.

I say :thumb: to her for her honesty - I think she is one sharp cookie. No reason to destroy the enjoyment of MCs by forcing it.

So, what's it gonna be? Honda ST, Kawa C14, FJR, 'Wing? :trust:

...unless someone has a trade on a nice dual sport.

I was going to say just that - on dirt trails, there's no cars to worry about. And the trees and rocks don't move nearly as fast as traffic! :lol2:

Well it has been right at 3 month's that Kaitlin has had her "M", and today after a heart to heart.

As much as she likes riding as a pillion it has not transfered to being the rider. She is scared to death of the cars and the possible outcomes that can ensue. She is most confident when dad is driving and feels that I need to get another bike bigger for 2 up riding.

As much as I hate to see her stop riding, I have to respect that she has tried and succeeded with very few faults.

I do think she was good, but since she can't shake the feeling of the idiot cagers I am not going to push her.

So on that note it is time to sell the 250 Ninja, I think unless someone has a trade on a nice dual sport.

Knowing limitations is a huge thing, especially with something like this. I'd be proud that she's stepped up and told you.

Sounds like she's the sharp knife in the drawer and while she probably knew you'd be dissapointed, she knew that riding with you and safe was better than an unfortunate outcome. :thumb:

I like the dual-sport/dirt idea. It could encourage her to keep riding for fun, on weekends or whenever, with no pressure to join traffic until she's more confident in her own judgment and handling of the bike.

You sound like a pretty cool dad.

We all know riding in traffic is inherently dangerous and we accept it every time we mount up. Kudos to the young lady for realizing her fears and Kudos to dad for accepting it!:clap:When your out there you mixing it up with cagers, you need to be alert, not afraid. I think the off-road/dual sport idea is a good one. Still get to ride together and no traffic. :rider:

I'm thinking a track day before selling the 250 is in order. Believe me. If she can properly control the motorcycle she's doing better than some I have seen at the track. No cars, no cross traffic, nothing to do but concentrate on your own skill. Most have instructors that are great and take starters out to work on their lines and body positioning.
I don't blame her for being scared of the cars in traffic. Street riding is far more dangerous than track riding to me.

I wonder if she would feel more at ease on a scooter?

She had one for a little while and didn't like it, cause it wouldn't get out of it's own way.

I think her mind is made up for now, if I can trade for a DS that would be good as she could use the SP200 and I could use the bigger one and do trail riding. She loves dirt and when she had her quad tore it up on a regular basis.

I rode streetbikes for 15 years and I also am not confident around idiot cagers, I now only ride in the dirt. You both can hold your heads high at her responsible decision.

well I give her kudos for being up front. and not one person can say "well how do you know you havent tried it" My advice cause I was the very same way growing up let her chose the time to get back on it. and kudos to you sir for not pushing her to ride again,
I was nearly hit numerous times commutting back and forth from work and now I just bout lost the nerve to ride. so she will come around in her own way.

I was going to say just that - on dirt trails, there's no cars to worry about. And the trees and rocks don't move nearly as fast as traffic! :lol2:

thats only because you weren't moving that much faster than the trees :rofl:

Proud of you both!

Sometimes a good fear of traffic is healthy. The ones who say they aren't scared are lying or stupid. Sure, it isn't a knees weak and trembling fear or anything, but a respect and awareness thing. After you hear of some experienced riders you personally know being taken out by a cage...permanently...you stop believing you're invincible. At least that's how it was for me. I don't know that I'd want my daughter riding in Dallas traffic, but back roads and in groups on longer trips would be fine I think. I have a good many years before I'll find out if she'll be into it. Certainly good of you not to force the issue.

You all do realize that this is a two year old thread that you are responding too? Feel free to continue, just wanted to point it out.

I like the dual-sport/dirt idea. It could encourage her to keep riding for fun, on weekends or whenever, with no pressure to join traffic until she's more confident in her own judgment and handling of the bike.

And the Hurt study showed that having dirt riding experience makes you less likely to have an accident on the asphalt. I guess you get used to reacting to slips, slides, idiot deer, etc.

You all do realize that this is a two year old thread that you are responding too? Feel free to continue, just wanted to point it out.

I noticed. :lol:

However, my oldest daughter is due to be 15 next month, and I have wondered how things will go. Her goal is to get her 'M.' She doesn't really want the 'C.'

Back