Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #81
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Re: What Have I Done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
If it won't idle when hot with the choke completely off, I have always had to pull the idle/pilot jet out of the carb, find a tiny piece of single strand, copper (not steel) speaker wire, wind it around my finger to make a spring-kinda shape, then push/pull it thru the jet a few times. This will gently scrape the sides of the jet and get the varnish out. Don't use steel or anything that might enlarge the jet hole.

have your 60 pilot jet handy and compare the 2 jets by looking thru them at a bright light, before and then after you clean the 58.
The carb is spotless clean, I saw to that. BexarWolf, let it warm up a couple mins on choke before you turn it (the choke) off.

'06 TW200 Mountain Goat, '06 XR650L Sumo, '98 XR440R trick and plated, '98 KDX220 plated,
'84 RZ350, '83 XR350R, '83 XR200R '84 ATC125, '71 CL175
Rman of 237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #82
BexarWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman of 237 View Post
The carb is spotless clean, I saw to that. BexarWolf, let it warm up a couple mins on choke before you turn it off.
I'll give that a shot when I venture back into the fumes.

"Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky. Live like you ain't afraid to die. Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride" - Chris LeDoux

Regrets....I has them

*Disclaimer - the views expressed in my posts are totally my opinion and since they're my opinion, they can't be wrong.
BexarWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #83
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexarWolf View Post
Yeah, I started at 2 1/2, went out as far as 3 1/4 and back in as far as 2.
No, don't mess with the pilot screw yet!! I had it set at 2-1/2 out. I'm saying to let it run on choke and let it get hot, then if it dies when you turn off the choke turn the idle screw in 1/2 turns at a time and restart it. Agh, I'll call you.

'06 TW200 Mountain Goat, '06 XR650L Sumo, '98 XR440R trick and plated, '98 KDX220 plated,
Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #84
BexarWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman of 237 View Post
No, don't mess with the pilot screw yet!! I had it set at 2-1/2 out. I'm saying to let it run on choke and let it get hot, then if it dies when you turn off the choke turn the idle screw in 1/2 turns at a time and restart it. Agh, I'll call you.
Didn't mean to make ya panic, Rman.

I spoke to Rman by phone and I have it running without choke now. I just need to do some tweaking on it to get it in the sweet spot. For now, I get to do my honey-do's and maybe I'll get to jump back on it this afternoon.

I never knew carbs were so much fun.

"Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky. Live like you ain't afraid to die. Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride" - Chris LeDoux

Regrets....I has them

*Disclaimer - the views expressed in my posts are totally my opinion and since they're my opinion, they can't be wrong.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #85
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Quote:

I spoke to Rman by phone and I have it running without choke now. I just need to do some tweaking on it to get it in the sweet spot. For now, I get to do my honey-do's and maybe I'll get to jump back on it this afternoon.

Now ride it, pull the plug and we'll jet it!!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #86
JMZ
Forum Supporter

A little sea foam or other gas treatment in every tank wont hurt I have started doing with my XRR

RMAN does know a thing or two about carbs

Plated XR650R
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #87
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #88
kurt
Administrator

Quote:
I haven't missed carbs at all. These are the good old days.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #89
BexarWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ View Post

A little sea foam or other gas treatment in every tank wont hurt I have started doing with my XRR

RMAN does know a thing or two about carbs
Yeah, after spending a couple hours with Rman yesterday, I'd never question his abilities. I'm only questioning MY abilities to be able to tune it to where it needs to be. I've never owned a dirt bike, much less a carb'ed dirt bike so finding the sweet spot is a bit of a challenge. I'm just tickled that I've got it running without choke right now. And it's cranking on the first or second kick which thrills me.

Next will be finding a way to tone down the volume on it. I know it's a dirt bike and all but I'm doing some research on the WB e-series muffler to see if adding or reducing discs will help. I think there are 10 discs in it right now and from what I've found so far......more discs = more noise. But reducing discs = reduction in flow so that'll affect the carb tuning.

I was hoping to have it up and running by next weekend to take it out to Bastrop for a shake-down run but I think I'll still be tweaking the adjustments by next weekend. Working nights (and a second part-time job) sucks the life out of me so I end up with very little time to play with it. But when I do get it running the way it should be...............

Regrets....I has them

Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #90
RollingJ

When you are ready, let me know. I will not be able to ride much over the next few weekends, but I'll try to sneak out.

98ST1100 Out of the dirt for a while...
I'm allergic to selfish
RollingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #91
BexarWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
When you are ready, let me know. I will not be able to ride much over the next few weekends, but I'll try to sneak out.

Since it's not street legal (yet), would I still unload at the soccer field and chance it or is there a way in with a vehicle and trailer to drop closer to the riding area?

Regrets....I has them

Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #92
JMZ
Forum Supporter

Get it running good then get it legal

Plated XR650R
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #93
BexarWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ View Post
Get it running good then get it legal
That's my goal. One step at a time.

Regrets....I has them

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #94
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, after spending a couple hours with Rman yesterday, I'd never question his abilities. I'm only questioning MY abilities to be able to tune it to where it needs to be. I've never owned a dirt bike, much less a carb'ed dirt bike so finding the sweet spot is a bit of a challenge. I'm just tickled that I've got it running without choke right now. And it's cranking on the first or second kick which thrills me.

Next will be finding a way to tone down the volume on it. I know it's a dirt bike and all but I'm doing some research on the WB e-series muffler to see if adding or reducing discs will help. I think there are 10 discs in it right now and from what I've found so far......more discs = more noise. But reducing discs = reduction in flow so that'll affect the carb tuning.

I was hoping to have it up and running by next weekend to take it out to Bastrop for a shake-down run but I think I'll still be tweaking the adjustments by next weekend. Working nights (and a second part-time job) sucks the life out of me so I end up with very little time to play with it. But when I do get it running the way it should be...............
OK, good, now get it hot and ride it around the neighborhood (obviously avoiding your cop neighbor friend), with the choke in the off position adjust the pilot screw to give you the highest RPM at idle, then back off the idle screw as needed. Put some time on it then pull the plug and show us what it looks like. Black is rich, white is lean. We'll mess with the jetting from there.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #95
BexarWolf

Looks like my XR is going on the back burner this weekend.

My F650gs is having starting issues (love the first month of the first year they went to FI ) so I'm swapping the injector this weekend to see if that helps. Then it'll be off to LSBMW to get the software flashed.

What is it with me and fuel delivery systems?

Regrets....I has them

Old 03-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #96
BexarWolf

A month later and I FINALLY get to toy with the XR4. It took a little coaxing after sitting so long but she finally fired off.

Don't panic over the screwdriver under the tank. I was trying to adjust the idle without branding my hand. I still need to address the issue of it bogging down under quick acceleration. I know a pumper carb will cure that but I don't want to invest in a carb that cost almost half what the entire bike cost.

So far what I've done is remove the ear-splitting White Bros muffler and install an OEM one off Ebay. It has the removable end piece so I can open it up a little bit if I don't want to be USFS compliant (which I do).

I've ordered a decompression cable off Ebay and just received a combo decomp lever/clutch lever for an XR650. It looks like it'll be a nice, clean install. I don't need the decomp lever but it'll facilitate restarts when I flood it or dump it.

I'm still tweaking the air screw a little at a time but It's obviously running rich. Rich enough to make your eyes burn. So I removed the 162 main jet and put in a 158 main. It still reeks of unburned fuel but not as bad. The plug was black as coal so I'll be heading down to the parts store to install a new one and see how it's burning.

Slowly but surely I'm getting it dialed in. I'll probably beg Rman to let me bring out to his house one Saturday morning (along with a few gallons of his liquid of choice) to see if he wants to toy with it and teach me a few more lessons.

Regrets....I has them

Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #97
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Slowly but surely I'm getting it dialed in. I'll probably beg Rman to let me bring out to his house one Saturday morning (along with a few gallons of his liquid of choice) to see if he wants to toy with it and teach me a few more lessons.
Yeah, anytime. That black smoke in the vid ain't good. And keep in mind, putting the OEM back on made it all the more richer as well. You'll definitely need a smaller main.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #98
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

So...?? What's the word BexarWolf, how's the XR4 coming along? Have you leaned out the main? Plated it? Bring it out here and we'll .

Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #99
WoodButcher
Administrator

Funny that you bring it up. We were trading PM's in the we hours of the morning today. He indeed has done something, but I'll leave it to Tad to tell you about it.

"Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson

1999 DR650 - still not from this century
2009 R1200GS Adventure - finally, a new bike
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #100
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Funny that you bring it up. We were trading PM's in the we hours of the morning today. He indeed has done something, but I'll leave it to Tad to tell you about it.
Do tell.