TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Pumper54

Re: Car tire installation

Cheez,
Thanks for the info and the links. I was "BANNED FOR LIFE" from the HD forums. They don't like my friends and I there cause we called b.s. on some bad info they put out out but the other sites are good ones.
Will check around to see what other H-D riders are using if anyone is running c/ts.
Thanks again
Tom
Pumper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #22
cheez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumper54 View Post
Cheez,
Thanks for the info and the links. I was "BANNED FOR LIFE" from the HD forums. They don't like my friends and I there cause we called b.s. on some bad info they put out out but the other sites are good ones.
Will check around to see what other H-D riders are using if anyone is running c/ts.
Thanks again
Tom
You don't have to sign into the forums to read them and get good info on what size tire to run, what PSI, etc. Good luck with the experiment!
cheez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
SwampFox

Quote:
... Any ideas as to the best brand/size c/t to install on Harley 16 inch rims? ... The widest tire I have mounted on my dresser was a 140 Metzler 880. Thanks, Tom
Tom, assuming you have the HD 3" or 3-1/2" rims, the only tire I've thusfar seen that might fit is the Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial in 5.00R16 size, a tube type tire with a 25.00" diameter. It's expensive and I found no reliable information as longevity. But I do know a fellow that successfully mounted this tire tubleless on an HD 3-1/2" rim.

I'm looking to replace the rear tire on my Sportster sidecar rig w/3" rim -- I'm not yet convinced to try this one: From: http://www.cokertire.com/antique/500...rt-radial.html

Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Tread Width: 4.40
Section Width: 5.40
Overall Diameter: 25.00
Construction: 4 PLY POLY/STEEL
Max Load Capacity: 992@35PSI
Recommended Rim: 3.00 - 4.50
Tube Type or Tubeless: Tube Type
Price: $233
Burgman w/Texas Ranger Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
Pumper54

Cheez, I sometime slide in there to check out some threads of interest. Will try to see if I can trace down one of the C/T on Harley threads.

SwampFox, Ouch that tires is a pretty penny. Have you looked at any of the Dunlops?
Tom
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #25
SwampFox

Quote:
... Ouch that tires is a pretty penny. Have you looked at any of the Dunlops?
Sidecar pusher tires tend to wear fast. I've had pretty good service out of the stock D-401's at about 5,000 miles. I don't know if the D-402 touring tires would last any longer on my rig.

The classic auto radial would make sense only if it would surely last 12,000+ miles, but I'm "hearing" they may be of softer compound that wear faster. However, I sure would like the extra braking traction with more rubber on the road with a flat profile auto tire. I'm not yet convinced it's worth a test.
Burgman w/Texas Ranger Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #26
Valker
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
Sidecar pusher tires tend to wear fast. I've had pretty good service out of the stock D-401's at about 5,000 miles. I don't know if the D-402 touring tires would last any longer on my rig.

The classic auto radial would make sense only if it would surely last 12,000+ miles, but I'm "hearing" they may be of softer compound that wear faster. However, I sure would like the extra braking traction with more rubber on the road with a flat profile auto tire. I'm not yet convinced it's worth a test.
I haven't had a rig in 23 years, but this is a picture of my car tire (205/55-16 Michelin HydroEdge) taken with 40,000 miles on it with my Valkyrie.

Eric West
Pampa, TX
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
I haven't had a rig in 23 years, but this is a picture of my car tire (205/55-16 Michelin HydroEdge) taken with 40,000 miles on it with my Valkyrie.
What psi do you run? I had about 38 on my Pirelli and wore it down to the wear bars in the center after 18,000. I'm running about 34 psi now to try to get more even tread wear. I could go lower but I don't like the squishy feeling in the curves.

"I'm a motorcyclist and motorcycling is all about riding on the TT course". Conrad Harrison at the 2012 Isle Of Man TT.
Texas T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
Valker
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
What psi do you run? I had about 38 on my Pirelli and wore it down to the wear bars in the center after 18,000. I'm running about 34 psi now to try to get more even tread wear. I could go lower but I don't like the squishy feeling in the curves.
I run 26# most all the time. I love the way it rides and my footpegs say they love to make sparks.

Eric West
Pampa, TX
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #29
solorider

I recently mounted a Falken on the rear of the Wing (after the low mileage fiasco in Bigbend for motorcycle tire!)
Discount tire mounted it but couldn't balance, I hear there is a guy in Tomball who will balance it so needless to say the regular dealer down the street won't get ANY of my business anymore since he refused to not only balance but also made up a story about having to report all his jobs to his insurance company! Just say you won't do it, don't fib about it dealers. Hopefully he's reading it and will know who he is.

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
solorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
Burg650

There is an independent shop in Conroe that is located on Hwy 105 about 2 blocks East of I45, they installed a CT on my Burgman and a friends Burg. They will install and balance while you wait. When the did my Burg 650, they said it was their 1st Burgman. The changer told me they average about 10 Wings each month.

Current rides
Burgman 650
Honda Foreman 500ES

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have..." Thomas Jefferson
Burg650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #31
Monkey Wrench Cycles
Forum Supporter

A burgman huh? I've done lots of wings and a couple Harleys but never done a burgman or heard of one being done. What tire you running?

My Toys:
1981 Honda Odyssey w/600cc I-4-on hold
2000 Buell Blast boardtrack racer-on hold
1967 VW Beetle W/busa Engine-On hold
2005 Ninja ZX6-RR -JE Big Bore Pistons, Carrillo Rods, CNC Porting, Flywheel lightened, Crank lightened/knife-edged/balanced, Total Loss Charging System, Dynotune Nitrous System, Sharkskinz Racing Bodywork, Swingarm Ext., Vortex Clip-ons, Bazzaz Tuner, CRG Shorty Levers, Annitori Quick Shifter
Monkey Wrench Cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #32
Burg650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench Cycles View Post
A burgman huh? I've done lots of wings and a couple Harleys but never done a burgman or heard of one being done. What tire you running?

I am running a Nexen 165 60R 14. I have about 3000 miles on it and really like the it. The tire is stable and has a 130 MPH rating. A lot of Burg riders are running the Bridgestone Potenza 165 65R 14 and is a 112 MPH tire but some have reported high speed wobble at 90 MPH. I and a friend have not had that issue with the Nexen. Tire was purchased from Tires Easy.com.

Current rides
Burgman 650
Honda Foreman 500ES

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have..." Thomas Jefferson
Burg650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #33
Monkey Wrench Cycles
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg650 View Post
I am running a Nexen 165 60R 14. I have about 3000 miles on it and really like the it. The tire is stable and has a 130 MPH rating. A lot of Burg riders are running the Bridgestone Potenza 165 65R 14 and is a 112 MPH tire but some have reported high speed wobble at 90 MPH. I and a friend have not had that issue with the Nexen. Tire was purchased from Tires Easy.com.
Cool. I guess it's a new option to offer my customers even though I don't get many burgs in the shop...

My Toys:
2005 Ninja ZX6-RR -JE Big Bore Pistons, Carrillo Rods, CNC Porting, Flywheel lightened, Crank lightened/knife-edged/balanced, Total Loss Charging System, Dynotune Nitrous System, Sharkskinz Racing Bodywork, Swingarm Ext., Vortex Clip-ons, Bazzaz Tuner, CRG Shorty Levers, Annitori Quick Shifter
Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #34
solorider

Thanks, i found out there is a place called Velocity Motorsports in Tomball that will do it and they are much closer to me than Conroe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg650 View Post
There is an independent shop in Conroe that is located on Hwy 105 about 2 blocks East of I45, they installed a CT on my Burgman and a friends Burg. They will install and balance while you wait. When the did my Burg 650, they said it was their 1st Burgman. The changer told me they average about 10 Wings each month.

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
P-Ratt

For all those concerned with liability, why not just take the wheel off, carry it in and tell the bike shop that you need the CT for your 3-wheeled conversion of some sort? Does that not remove the bike shop from any liability?

I assume that anyone who is determined to put a CT on is one willing to accept full responsibility, feeling up to the challenge of sensibly experimenting with said tire and accepting any negative impact without pursuit of legal action against the people who simply installed the tire and had no part in the choice to use such.

I will one day try this out. I'm on a bit of a track day kick (for me anyway) and they aren't too keen on CT...
FZ1

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #36
solorider

I never take the whole bike in, just the wheel and what I mentioned above took place with just the wheel and tire already mounted all I needed was balancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Ratt View Post
For all those concerned with liability, why not just take the wheel off, carry it in and tell the bike shop that you need the CT for your 3-wheeled conversion of some sort? Does that not remove the bike shop from any liability?

I assume that anyone who is determined to put a CT on is one willing to accept full responsibility, feeling up to the challenge of sensibly experimenting with said tire and accepting any negative impact without pursuit of legal action against the people who simply installed the tire and had no part in the choice to use such.

I will one day try this out. I'm on a bit of a track day kick (for me anyway) and they aren't too keen on CT...

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #37
DaveC

Oh a Dark Side thread!!

I have the Dunlop Elite III on my Voyager and they handle like crud, a car tire may be an improvement.

"heck, that ain't far! Let's ride"
Quote:
"Such as thou art, so once was I
As I am now, so shalt thou be"
Inscribed on the tomb of The Black Prince , Edward of Woodstock, 1376
Quote:
Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.
Will Rogers

Ride Naked!
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #38
Monkey Wrench Cycles
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Oh a Dark Side thread!!

I have the Dunlop Elite III on my Voyager and they handle like crud, a car tire may be an improvement.
Give it a go. As you know the Elite 3 is NOT a cheap tire and you could buy at least 2 CT for the price of one elite...

My Toys:
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #39
solorider

I did a gravel test with the car tire on the back of the wing on the way to Crazy Bob's Fairfield campout. The care tire handles really well on road, offroad, even in some loose stuff. I think the sidewalls are softer so they flex keeping a larger contact patch on the road.
This is my first CT on a motorcycle and as some had predicted, I'm happy to say I don't ride on the edges when I turn and the bike didn't spontaneously combust either!
Now we'll see how many miles I can get out of it, the G709 rear didn't last but about 5000miles!!!

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
Old 04-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #40
Pumper54

Looks like I will not be putting a C/T on my bike after all. Best I can run is a 140 and even that is tight so finding a C/T to fit is next to impossible. 1998 Harley dressers just don't have a lot of room in the back. Bummer. What I would like to add to the mix is that when some one says "You can't turn with a car tire on a bike" Ask them how the bikes with 280 or 300 tires on the back turn? Heck I saw a bike with such a wide tire on the rear it did not need a kick stand.
Wish I could run some thing that gets better then 10k on it.
Tom