TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
grandpaul

Re: Texas Mile, March 2012 - Chills, thrills and spills

Andy covered some of this already, and we've got pix of some of the same vehicles...

It appears "1 wheel peel" was who I referred to as "NotABusa" when we chatted on the staging grid. Nice bike.

The wind was favorable (very light tail wind), but we had FOG BANKS move through Saturday and Sunday mornings that shut down racing for 1/2 hour each day.

It was hot, but not TOO hot, right at or just under 90.

A new track record at 260+ was what I HEARD, I only SAW 257.7 from the Hennessey Ford GT40 as Andy covered.

More info at: GTSpirit Website

Bikes were inching up to 250s, previous record holder at Goliad (287+) went down after a 240+ run, not hurt bad (bike barely scratched as he laid it down at the very far end when he caught a cone).

Karl Gunter went down after a 221+ run, and was airlifted out; 60+ year-old rider, hurt pretty bad but is recuperating and should be okay (bike was trashed, no photo).

That really cool German 3 cylinder turbo diesel "Trac" bike with CV transmission and single-sided monoshock swingarm pitted next to me, so I did some pit crew assistance for them over the course of the weekend. They started at 94+ and inched up to 96+ before leaving early to prepare for Baja. They had alternator issues they need to sort out. Very trick bike.

Only BritBikes I spotted were a spectator's modern Rocket 3 and a racer's nifty old '57 Triumph 500 sidevalve "pit bike".

One squid went down outside the front gate when he plowed into the back of one of his fellow squid's bike; trashed his own bike, but only cut a finger.

All in all a great race weekend; long hours, hot and humid, but great cars & bikes in the pits, in the staging grid, and making the 'Mile.

Slideshow Link
Host of the Vintage Bikes Forum
grandpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
1 wheel peel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
......It appears "1 wheel peel" was who I referred to as "NotABusa" when we chatted on the staging grid. Nice bike.....
Thanks for the kind words, enjoyed visiting with you. Our whole group laughed the rest of the weekend about the NotABusa coment. My son kept doing his best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice with the "It's Not A Busa".
Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
SL350
Forum Supporter

I was 20 miles away and did not even know this was on. Last I heard they were battling insurance problems. When is the next one scheduled? I have not been to Chase field yet.
SL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
09GraySilverBusa
Forum Supporter

October, Check out www.texasmile.net
Loring July 2012- 1 mile 205.48 MPH, 1.5 mile 212.27 MPH |Stock Motor

2012 ABS Gold Wing, Ultra Blue Metallic
09GraySilverBusa is online now   Reply With Quote