• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New member from across the pond

Sometimes it doesn't matter if it's north/south or south/north on 550 in Colorado, you get to ride on the edge whether you like it or not. :D

550Blasting_zps1wjt8zcp.png

Also, if you want to sample some real Americana and are headed between Texas and Colorado, I'd work your route and schedule so you spend a night in Tucumcari. Sample some of the historic route 66 and stay at the Blue Swallow Motel.

DSC_0707-L.jpg

It's a very nicely restored motel with great folks that run it. They love their visitors and love getting to know them. You do need to make reservations though because the word is out on this place and it fills up. If there's a car show in town then you are in for a real treat if you check that out. But plan on grabbing some beer from the grocery store down the street and hanging out on the patio in the dry desert air looking at the neon lights and visiting with your neighbors. This place is always a fantastic experience.

20170707_205811-L.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh, I can be in before others.

http://www.butlermaps.com/
I had seen references to the butler maps elsewhere, however the only UK supplier I'm aware of tells me some of them have been out of print since 2014 or has not been reprinted since then, but the butler website is currently showing a 6 for $60 offer, but the international shipping cost for 6 is $25.
Do the butler maps have some kind of barcode / QRcode that you can scan with a smartphone to get additional information online about a specific place shown on the map?

Tucumcari doesn't look like much, but it is a historic town along the old 'Route 66.' And it has the distinction of having more hotel rooms per capita than any other city in America.

As for maps - For motorcyclists, Butler maps are absolutely the best in directing you to the most enjoyable scenic roads. But even they don't have a huge amount of detail for the tiny FM roads, except in the highlighted areas.

In my camping wanderings in my Jeep and trailer, I've long relied on Delorme. If a road isn't on this map, you probably don't want to be on the road.
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=maps+delorme+
The problem, of course, is that these are bulky, and if you're carrying Delorme books for 3 or 4 key states, that's a lot of bulk. For riding, one solution is to take pictures of critical pages and carry them on your phone, although I've tried it and it just isn't very satisfactory.

Will you be carrying a GPS or a tablet? You can download amazingly detailed maps to most GPSs these days. And although I haven't specifically looked, I'd think you could buy a detailed set of maps for your tablet, so that you can view the map on a larger screen. Actually, you can get all that for free on your tablet and phone, but if you're out of service range, it doesn't do you any good. That's why I'm thinking about a map set that resides on your tablet rather than in the Cloud.

I run a garmin Zumo 660 on the bike, plotting routes using basecamp or the older mapsource software on the computer (an old acer one) before uploading them to the 660. At the moment I don't have the necessary garmin software to enable me to do this. Again this is another thing on my shopping list.
Cell phone data will be another issue I have to look at, as my current UK provider doesn't include USA data/calls in my current call package which make using my cell phone in the USA expensive, so I'm may consider switching local UK providers or getting a temporary USA SIM card for data usage.

I think, as this thread is meant to be a new member introduction thread. Maybe the Mods should consider moving the majority of the posts about my planning over to another section with a similar title so we can continue the discussion there

Hi Jeff, I'm from the North of England, east of the city of Sheffield, and probably 3-4hrs drive north from Dorchester.

I've just spent a couple of hours in front of a computer using tyre software, connecting the locations and creating a route from Tourmeisters previous post.
Though a few minor changes are being considered to reduce the number of double backs in Colorado, and switching the direction of travel on the 550, so that there's always an element of continuing westward travel

Get a Garmin GPS and put the City Navigator maps for the US on it if it does not already come with it preloaded. My experience is that they show just about everything, even little goat trails that barely deserve to be called a "road". Trying to carry paper maps for all of it will take up a lot of space. If you have a cell phone with internet once you are here, Google Maps will also have pretty much everything. So you can use that as a back up in a pinch.

As for the good roads to ride... just keep posting here ;-)

I know it's not on the route but I would like to mention that there are areas on the Padre Island seashore where you can go for miles on the beach without seeing anyone. Access is almost free. It's not developed at all, just sand and water for 50+ miles on the north side, no clue on the south side. The water is very warm.

Fort Hood has two good armoured museums that are fairly accessible. You would have to go through a background check at the main gate and provide proof of insurance to the mp's there but it's a fun base to visit. Also I will second the Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg it's well worth a visit.
There is supposed to be another armoured museum in Austin, I have not managed to make it down to that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see what Triumph you'll be riding mentioned anywhere.?
So far, you've got great input from a "few" writing riders; please consider there's a multitude of other riders and suggested rides that you haven't heard about (yet). Point being that you could spend the REST of your life in North America and still have unfinished business (riding). I would advise that you cherry-pick your things to do list and not try and do it all, whether you're here for 6 weeks or 6 years it's not enough time.
If you have access to any U.S. motorcycle mags, almost everyone of them have travel stories in every issue. Of course they're all available online now. There's one called "Roadrunner" I think, that leans toward touring. Also, you might find some of Clem Salvadori's (sic?) books and articles online. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and probably other states have award winning magazines (Texas Highways, Arizona Highways, New Mexico's mag is just called New Mexico IIRC). Arizona Highways is particularly well known for their photography.
I'm kind of an improv type myself, so I would encourage you to leave some room for extemporaneous exploring if possible. Discovery is a wonderful byproduct of travel.

I agree totally about the issue of never enough time to ride it all! That is what makes trip planning such a challenge in many places. I could spend many weeks just in the Western part of North Carolina, Northwestern Arkansas, Southwestern Missouri, Western Colorado, all of New Mexico and Arizona, or any states West of I-25. The amount of incredible riding and cool things to see is amazing. I usually only get about 10 days to make any trip I do, so I really have to work hard to narrow things down to a manageable level. It is not unusual for me to spend 10-12 weeks, sometimes more, researching and planning for trips. The internet is an amazing tool for this!!!

Howdy from central Texas.....don't stop and eat any brisket or sausage here....you'll fall in love and stay....don't do it!! :lol2:

Late to the party but that's par for the course...

Welcome fellow Brit, there's a couple of us Ex-Pats around here slumming with the sceptics! Beware, they'll feed you good food, show you great rides & suddenly it'll be 30 years later and you'll have not left yet!

:-P

Well I've been busy looking at route options and have drafted a basic route from some of tourmeisters suggestions using garmin base camp which I'll get around to uploading a link to so that the members can scrutinise and make some suggestions on. The triumph I am thinking about shipping over is a low(ish) mileage 2006 1050 sprint ST (sports tourer) which I've had from new, and has had the known faults that early triumphs suffered fixed over the years. I also have built up and inventory of spares and triumph specific workshop tools to match the bike. But as the triumph is already geared up for touring as it's my main steed for touring Europe on, I probably wouldn't have to take a huge hit should the worse thing happen while in country.
However I am considering buying either and new 1200 GS or a new Africa twin as I have recently spent time visiting the dealers of both and considering my options.
Food wise I've seen way too many of these TV food shows from the US that leave me salivating so I expect to add at least 20lbs to my waistline

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
My plan is still in the planning stages, but my initial idea is to airfreight my bike into Dulles sometime around the end of May 2018 giving myself around 4-6 weeks to go across country towards LA where the bike will be sea freighted back to the UK. From Dulles I am looking at visiting:
(not in any order)
The shenandoah parkway
The Blue ridge Parkway
Deals Gap
Pikes Peak
Million Dollar highway
Monument Valley
Glen Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Zion National Park
Hoover Dam
Yosemite National Park
Ride parts of the Pacific coast highway
+ any sensible suggestions of places to visit within the area between I-10 in the south, and I-40 keeping off the interstate as much as possible, I figure riding 200 - 300 mile days, possibly less to make it more enjoyable.

Due to the dates I`m considering travelling I`m aware the weather window along the way won`t be perfect, with potential wet, extreme heat, and cooler temps at higher elevations. I have considered the idea of camping along the way, but the possibility of high temperatures would make it uncomfortable, and the time required to setup camp at the end of each day would eat into the time available. Also the option of sleeping in an air conditioned hotel room after a long day on the road seems a good idea

You have picked some great destinations. I used to live in Arizona and just about July 4th the summer rains start, keep that in mind. Look at the Coronado Trail US191 in Eastern AZ, great road (paved) but lots of turns. In Dolores Colorado (East of Durango) is the Colorado Norton Works you might want to check that out.
John in Texas

The triumph I am thinking about shipping over is a low(ish) mileage 2006 1050 sprint ST (sports tourer)

You should seriously consider buying a bike here, you'll be surprised at how reasonable used machines are compared to Europe.

You should seriously consider buying a bike here, you'll be surprised at how reasonable used machines are compared to Europe.
I'm still considering that option, but realistically anything less than a couple of months in country might not be viable.
Unless a bike is fully prepped and serviced, I'd still have to use valuable time prepping the bike before embarking on the trip

I'm still considering that option, but realistically anything less than a couple of months in country might not be viable.
Unless a bike is fully prepped and serviced, I'd still have to use valuable time prepping the bike before embarking on the trip

Hop on AdvRider.com. I'd be willing to bet you could find someone willing to sell you a bike already setup and they'd probably even be willing to get it ready for a trip. It is VERY common to find used bikes totally set up for touring or adventure riding. I would HIGHLY recommend a 1200 GS over your Triumph because that adds so many more riding opportunities! I am not talking about riding wild and crazy unpaved roads either, just your basic maintained forest service and county roads on which you could drive most any typical car/truck. You would not need a set of TKC 80s with the full knobs, just a good 50/50 adventure tire would work perfect, like a set of Heidenau K60s or something.

2005 1200 GS
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2005-bmw-r1200gs-in-wv.1252340/

or if you don't mind spending a bit more :-P

2015 KTM 1190R
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2015-ktm-1190r-adventure-with-lots-of-goodies.1254246/

2008 KTM 990
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-990-adventure-louisville-ky.1253708/

2008 1200 GS
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2008-bmw-r1200gs-set-up.1252359/

And there are many more... Just food for thought ;-)

Hop on AdvRider.com.

I'm with Scott here & was going to suggest ADVRider too. Most folks on there are great people & would probably store the bike for you before you came over to collect it.

If you don't want to keep it at the end, find another inmate to sell it for you for a commission.

I'm with Scott here & was going to suggest ADVRider too. Most folks on there are great people & would probably store the bike for you before you came over to collect it.

If you don't want to keep it at the end, find another inmate to sell it for you for a commission.

Heck, you might even find one where the person would be willing to rent the bike for a fee plus a deposit :shrug: I have seen that before. Then they could sell it afterward, assuming it is returned in good shape.

Back