• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Went for a day ride; discovered a motorcycle museum...

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Coyer
As most of you know, I returned this past Tuesday from a 9 day ride with my daughter. I'm still on vacation so I have spent the last several days sitting around the house doing nothing, and enjoying every minute of it :mrgreen:

Friday afternoon Mrs. danceswithcages came home and sweetly informed me that terrible things would happen to me, things so horrifying that they can't be repeated here, if I didn't take her riding this weekend. Well, being in possession of at least a modicum of common sense I quickly told Dear Wife that yes, I had a ride for this weekend planned all along, and she should prepare herself to be dazzled by the upcoming festivities. I broke out my laptop and started looking at possible routes; at the same time Dear Wife suddenly discovered a dire need to sharpen all the butcher knives in the kitchen...

Saturday morning came, to no one's surprise, and I scurried around in the man-cave, prepping the bikes for the day's ride, while Dear Wife was no-doubt in the dungeonImeanbasement brushing the cobwebs off the ol' Iron Maiden. (We really have one. Don't ask).

We rode north on Hwy 93, the day's goal being Polson and Flathead Lake. First stop was at a little rest area near the National Bison Range:

Those are the Mission Mountains in the background

The Bison Range

Don't let that sweet smile fool you...:lol2::lol2:

Bear-proof garbage cans. Lots of grizzlies up here

The highway signs on the reservations are also printed in their language, which is way cool, but how do you pronounce that??

We rolled in to St. Ignatius, and stopped briefly at the St. Ignatius Mission.

These next several pictures of the interior of the mission were taken without flash, as I didn't want to disturb others who were inside.

The entrance of the mission

There is a link at the end of this RR that will take you to all 651 pictures I shot on this trip. They are huge files and the detail will be much better.

We rolled out of St. Ignatius and several miles later stopped at another scenic viewpoint, this one just before you drop down into Polson. Great views of Flathead Lake

Flathead Lake is the largest natural freshwater lake in the western part of the contiguous United States. With a surface area of about 197 sq mi, it is slightly larger than Lake Tahoe. Flathead Lake is 27.3 mi long and up to 15.5 mi wide. Its known maximum depth is 370.7 ft making it deeper than the average depths of the Yellow Sea and the Persian Gulf. The lake was raised 10 ft by Kerr Dam. It is one of the cleanest in the populated world for its size and type.

There is a museum in Polson I've wanted to go to ever since we moved to Montana 4 years ago, and I heard there are motorcycles inside, so here we are!

Miracle of America Museum

Now I'm just gonna post pics for you to enjoy!

This museum takes great pride in the fact that very few things here are 'restored'. Pretty much everything here is original

When's the last time you saw one of these?? I didn't know these even existed!! Check out the third seat over the rear wheel

OK! Whew! That was a portion of one room in one building! Wanna take a break and get a pop before we go outside?

I tried several times to strike up a conversation with her, but she was real shy

There are an incredible number of old trucks, tractors, locomotives, aircraft, cars, bicycles, etc. here, and I'm trying really hard to post only pics of the bikes. I'll have a link at the end that has ALL my pics on it :mrgreen:

But some things are just too weird to pass up right now!

Lots of steam powered stuff in this building

Another room crammed with old boats and dozens of antique outboard engines

And what museum would be complete without an UFO or three??

Well folks, that's about all I'm gonna post here. I think Tourmiester Scott would frown on me posting all 651 pictures, so here's the link: http://danceswithcages.smugmug.com/Other/Trip-with-Jody/17853150_PCGn7D#1365286860_F2VMMnk

There are dozens of tractors, trucks, some fire engines, a completely stocked general store, and tons more. The picture files are huge so you can see lots more detail. Enjoy!

I think I would never leave there. Wow!!! :thumb:

I was born and raised in Helena Montana. Lived in Ronan for about a year at the age of 9 or 10 I believe. Great area up there! I sure miss home, thanks for all the great pictures!

I may have some free time in that area later this month , getting my maps out to check this out . Thanks SEYA

You know, I've not been to Montana since '04 and Glacier since '97. You just gave me some strong incentive to go back this summer. I could stay lost in that place. Heck, what old mechanic could not.
Thanks so much for sharing and the great pictures.

You know, I've not been to Montana since '04 and Glacier since '97. You just gave me some strong incentive to go back this summer. I could stay lost in that place. Heck, what old mechanic could not.
Thanks so much for sharing and the great pictures.

Hi Andy!:wave:

There are also several locked buildings full of stuff waiting to be restored. Like I said we were there a couple hours and we didn't see it all. Everywhere you turn there was stuff crammed into corners or hanging from the ceilings, etc. Heck, a guy could probably spend an entire day just in the building that housed steam-powered equipment. Truly a hidden gem.

Awesome photos, I was stationed at Malmstrom from 91 to 94, great riding around Glacier and Flathead. I love all the old military vehicles and weapons they have, gotta get back up there!

I guess I missed this thread two years ago. Love that old R12!

Ditto... and I would NOT get upset about all the pics getting posted ;-) You would probably have to do multiple posts to get them all in the thread though. Very cool stuff!!

Back