• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LED Turn Signals Not Functioning Correctly

txox4

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Ledwell
I purchased a set of front/rear LED turn signal bulbs from superbrightleds.com last week for my 2012 KLR 650 and they only seem to work correctly if I leave one of the regular bulbs (not LED) on each side, otherwise when turning on the signals both signals turn on.

Because of the reduced power draw, I'm guessing there's something that needs to be adjusted with the actuator. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I've left the rear LED turn signals in and placed the original OEM bulbs back up front so the turn signals function correctly. Any help is appreciated.

I purchased a set of front/rear LED turn signal bulbs from superbrightleds.com last week for my 2012 KLR 650 and they only seem to work correctly if I leave one of the regular bulbs (not LED) on each side, otherwise when turning on the signals both signals turn on.

Because of the reduced power draw, I'm guessing there's something that needs to be adjusted with the actuator. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I've left the rear LED turn signals in and placed the original OEM bulbs back up front so the turn signals function correctly. Any help is appreciated.

If you have a single turn signal indicator light for left and right signals then it will require you adding diodes to the indicator light. This keeps it from feeding power to the other side when using your signals. LED lights don't use much power and a small amount of current will light them up. Incandescent bulbs are not affected by small amounts of current in the same way as LED's. Also if your signals flash really fast when using your LED bulbs then you will need to add resistors to create additional load or new flasher unit.

Last edited:
Remember, if you need to add a resistor it is connected ACROSS the lamps wiring, i.e., hot side to ground, however the physical positioning allows. Usually at turn signal pigtail. to calculate resistor value take wattage of lamp divide it by 12[volts system runs on]. that number is lamp current. divide 12 by the current gives you RESISTANCE needed. A 1 or half watt resistor power rating should be ok. hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, fellas. Just ordered a replacement flasher which should do the trick. I'll keep you posted.

I think 92TDM850 is correct, I suspect that you have one little orange light in the instrument cluster to indicate that the indicators (left or right) are on, this needs a small amount of current to flow for the light to come on. When you replace the normal bulbs with LEDS they take so little current that this little bulb in the instrument panel now feeds power to both sides of the bike (It behaves as a small resistance resistor). If this is the case, your new relay will NOT do anything. I would suggest just removing the bulb in the instrument housing and see if the indicators work correctly. If they do you have found the cause, the solution might be harder to find!! If you have a left and right indicator bulb in the instrument housing then this is NOT the cause of your problem..

Gary

Back