• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sealant in tires with TPMS

I would suspect that any number of solutions to seal the inner band would work. The sealing tape, flex seal, vacuum grease ( silicone based safe for rubber).

When I raced dirt cars we would occasionally have a beadlock wheel that would not seal. They actually seal on the inside of the tire bead and most tires are not perfect on the inside. We would use a liquid gasket maker sold under the CATERPILLAR brand. It came in a can with a brush. It would seal up but you could easily remove it later. You could just rub it with your finger or thump and peel it off the wheel.

Update:

Johnson County Motorsports tech said he found additional leaks that I had not marked. Over half the spokes have leaks.

Also said he found no indication of damage to the rim nor the band that seals the rim.

Waiting on KTM to authorize warranty repair.

I must admit, I was not optimistic.

Still waiting on Munn to call about the cast wheel availability.

Last edited:
I would suspect that any number of solutions to seal the inner band would work. The sealing tape, flex seal, vacuum grease ( silicone based safe for rubber).

KTM seems to think the outer band is what seals the rim, not the inner. :giveup:

I dunno ... but KTM has authorized repair and as far as I know the only component being replaced is the outer band.

Hopefully it will get fixed, the 1290 looks a little sad without a rear wheel, as do you Mitch. The good news is I used up all the 1.5 in tubing, soon I will be building a frame for the 3/8 plate we unloaded. That has to be more fun than tearing down a broke DR-Z motor?

I can help unload more.

Last week, the tech said parts should have arrived today (Monday) and he would get it together tomorrow (Tuesday).

Last edited:
Is this a common issue? The KTM system to make these wheels tubeless seems problematic to me. I would hate to be riding solo in the boonies and worrying about this. I would definitely be carrying front and rear tubes with me at all times.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I don't think you could use a standard tube as the stem is offset to one side.

Picked up the wheel yesterday afternoon.

It sat at the dealership for 24 hours and never leaked down.
I had seen it do that before.

Installed it and rode about 25 miles before dark last night and saw no indication it was leaking. Pressures grew 5lbs during the ride and returned to the preset pressure when it was installed.

The tech showed me the inner and outer band that was replaced and explained that he never could find a reason for the leak. He said that in a conversation with KTM, this is not uncommon

The outer band in the sealing layer with formed edges that roll into a machined groove in the rim. It surprised me to see the inner layer was not adhered to the rim, rather a friction fit and in placed to protect the outer, sealing band.

All spoked, tubeless systems I saw researched had that inner band adhered to the rim.

Hey Mitch, did you get your expensive sticky tape? I know a guy who would like to try it....just saying....

I'm looking right at it ... unopened and begging to be used.

I bet it can find a good home, somewhere.

...The tech showed me the inner and outer band that was replaced and explained that he never could find a reason for the leak. He said that in a conversation with KTM, this is not uncommon...

What does KTM spec for the replacement interval on those bands? How much do they cost?

_

What does KTM spec for the replacement interval on those bands? How much do they cost?

_

Interval is a good question. I don't know.

The inner band is about $35 and the outer is about $50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooff ....

I'll get them on after I get back, next week
e011b311bcfd12f811f76058bd257875.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Those are going to make for a rough ride, but you won't have to worry about tire mileage ;-)

Back