• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A little family history explains a lot about my Dualsport riding... (cool old pics)

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab Last week my 90 year old paternal grandfather passed away. We had a great service for him Tuesday. I learned long ago that he was actually my Dad's Step Father. His biological Dad left his Mom when he was just a small baby. When Dad was somewhere around 2-3 years old, his Mom remarried. This marriage lasted 62 years :clap: Anyway, some years ago it seems that his Mom slipped some pictures of his real Dad to my Mom, unbekownst to me. With all the family down for the funeral, Mom got to reflecting on things and remembered those pictures. Today I was over at their house and saw them for the first time.

Jack Vernon Welborn - my biological grandfather
Grandad-2.jpg

:tab Dad's Mom has been dead for four years and had Alzheimer's for quite some time before that. She never really spoke much of his real Dad so he knows next to nothing about him. They met and married in Oklahoma City in the late 30's. Dad was born in May of 39. He's never met his Dad and I believe he has been dead for quite a long time, having died at a considerably younger age than 90. I am guessing him to be in his early 20's in the image above. The following are the only other images I have of him.

Grandad-1.jpg

Grandad-3.jpg

:tab He's the rider in both images. It looks like it might be the same bike, but with the fenders removed in the first image. I've no idea what kind of bike. This was before Dad was born but while he and my Grandmother were together, so likely 37-38.

:tab These two may explain my tendency to be gravitationally challenged... :doh:

That's him rolling in the dust cloud
Grandad-4.jpg

That's him with his hand straight up in the air
Grandad-5.jpg

:tab Looking at the pics, it looks like the last three are all from the same event of some kind. I'm guessing a race. The guy in the background of the last image looks like he's heading for those whoops. I think those are where the bike jump picture was taken.

:tab It is kind of interesting. Knowing that my Grandfather's death was coming, and then during the funeral, I have been pondering the ways in which his life has affected my own. The way he raised his kids, treated his wife, treated his friends, his attitudes towards his work, his faith, all contributed to the making of my own Dad, and likewise, of myself. Then there is that old nature/nurture debate. Like it or not, we do inherit physical traits from upstream. I am nothing like my Grandfather in appearance. I don't really see myself in the first image above though. I did see a pic of my Dad from about that same age and they do look alike. Everyone that meets me and my Dad assures me we look a lot alike. Maybe I need to go find a pic of me when I was in my 20's...

Re: A little family history explains a lot about my Dualsport riding...

oh my gosh Scott! That is SO VERY, VERY COOL that you have those photos! What a treasure for you! And the motorcycle connection is priceless, yes? You're a lucky man.

Very neat old images. Having had some recent losses of my own, I can relate in many ways.

My better half is very involved in geneology, so I learn lots of things on family that I never heard passed down!:clap:

Awesome indeed, I got goosebumps looking at those pics. What an amazing connection to your past you have found!:bigokay:

Looks like both of you have problems keeping bikes up right........... :mrgreen:

Uncanny how some of these traits, preferences, tendencies pass on, isn't it? So the legacy contiues;-)

You are lucky to have 'found' the photos. They bring bits and pieces closer together and more real.

What a shot. I would have this framed. Instant classic.

Somehow, photographs of our elders when they were in the throws of a vibrant life inspire us to evaluate what we are making of our own existence.

Condolences on your loss, Scott.

Bob :sun:

Very neat pics and story!:clap: I guess it's like twins separated at birth, reunited as adults and they share the same interests but way cooler since your granddad's interests were passed on to you through two generations and you didn't even know he rode bikes.:flip: Kinda eerie in a cool way!:thumb:

The light on the front fender was one of Indian's trademarks , If it has a face it would be a positive id . I have a newspaper picture of my G Dad in the 50's , he was a private eye with the Dick Tracy hat and a cup of coffee . Its the only thing I have and I really wish it were a good print . Chreresh your history . SEYA

that's awesome!
my grandfather was raised a poor Czeck farmer. AFAIK the moto interest started with my dad. He had a GPz550 when was a kid

Jack Vernon Welborn. Didn't that guy have a newsletter back in the late 30's and early 40's called Two Wheeled Texans? :rofl:

Man, those are great pics. It's interesting how funerals end up turning into family reunions. It doesn't take long before the old pictures and film reels are broken out. Laughter and tears usually follow.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing,TM.:clap:

Great photos and rememberance. I never new either of my grandfathers or grandmothers. My grandmother on my dads side is still around, but I can count the times I have been with her using my fingers. Seperated by a few states (Northern California). She will be 100 soon!

I can't help but think of a thread I was passed the led me to the ADVrider site.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29723&perpage=15&p

And guys complain that the 4 strokes are to heavy to ride! :eek2:

Wow warrior, that's a huge milestone, 100! Maybe a Bike trip is in order, and maybe some of your online friends would tag along...and maybe it can be a local news event??? Anyway that's pretty neat, and I hope you get to see her again.

I realize this is off the dual sport thread slightly, but some interest is obvious for connecting with family. Maybe because of Holidays or recent losses some of us have had, or both...but we better go see our kin while we can. And for people in here it carries an added pleasure, since we can often visit on two wheels!:rider: :clap:

What a great story you have to share!

I had to complete a biography for a writing class in college and decided to drive 4 hours to see my grandfather to get his story. We spent two days digging through pictures, calling up his memories of glory days. I hold that weekend in rare company with my list of life changing events like meeting my wife and the births of my children.

I keep an old photo of him in my office at home. The photo is him at age 20, tending bar. He had just started working at the establishment he would one day own, the business later providing a foundation for our family.

Thanks for sharing the story. You immediatly took me back to that weekend with my "Poppy."

Wow warrior, that's a huge milestone, 100! Maybe a Bike trip is in order, and maybe some of your online friends would tag along...and maybe it can be a local news event??? Anyway that's pretty neat, and I hope you get to see her again.

I realize this is off the dual sport thread slightly, but some interest is obvious for connecting with family. Maybe because of Holidays or recent losses some of us have had, or both...but we better go see our kin while we can. And for people in here it carries an added pleasure, since we can often visit on two wheels!:rider: :clap:
+10,000 TwoLane!!:clap: When I was a kid some of my best memories were hanging out with my uncle in Glen Rose. He had a farm right on the Brazos and I rode my XR75(among other bikes as I got older) every inch of Somervell County. I wound up going to school in Waco and would ride my RZ over to Glen Rose just to hang out with him every other weekend. He's long gone now but the memories will never be forgotten!!:sun:

Definitely looks like an Indian (probably a scout) to me. That's way too cool. :dude: I couldn't imagine riding a bike like that in the dirt, let alone getting it airborne! Scott, your grandfather had mad skilz! :rider:

So I did a bit of Googling... Found a genealogy for an Edward Welborn from 1660 and buried deep down in the line of descendants was this:

Children of Coke WELBORN and Kietha GILLETTE are:
+ 2631 i. Lewis Warren9 WELBORN, born July 06, 1914 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; died Abt. 1990 in Sacremento, California.
+ 2632 ii. Jack Vernon WELBORN, born January 06, 1916 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; died October 21, 1969 in Beverly Hills, California.
2633 iii. Betty Joe WELBORN, born November 11, 1927 in baton Rouge, Louisiana. She married Thomas Marg.

Right time and place, and Dad's name is Vernon Warren. I can't find anything that shows names of kids or marriage by Jack :shrug: Seems he died at the age of 53. Pretty young... My Dad is now 69 and going strong. Makes me wonder what might have happened to him? His older brother lived to 76 and the younger sister might possibly be alive.

[update]

Found some more:

2632. Jack Vernon9 WELBORN (Coke Warren8, William Joseph Nelson7, William Joseph Nelson6, Kinchen Alford WILBORN5, Jonathan WELLBORN4, Edward Levi WELLBORN3, Thomas2, EDWARD1) was born January 06, 1916 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and died October 21, 1969 in Beverly Hills, California. He married (1) Jayne Unknown. He married (2) Unknown Hoig.

Children of Jack WELBORN and Jayne Unknown are:
3231 i. Living10 Welborn.
3232 ii. Living Welborn.

The unknown Hoig would be my Dad's Mom, Vingie Hoig.

Last edited:
Sorry about your granddad.

That's definitely a scout. You can tell by the fender shape and the Chief is physically larger. Even the scout had a lighted face on the front fender like the chief in the late 40s to early 50s before they shut down. This bike's fenders had the skirts cut out on the sides likely to keep mud from caking up. But they were full skirts a one time.

Crazy doing that without gear. Great pics. Worth framing for sure.

Sorry about your granddad.

That's definitely a scout. You can tell by the fender shape and the Chief is physically larger. Even the scout had a lighted face on the front fender like the chief in the late 40s to early 50s before they shut down. This bike's fenders had the skirts cut out on the sides likely to keep mud from caking up. But they were full skirts a one time.

Crazy doing that without gear. Great pics. Worth framing for sure.

I found this image of a Scout Standard 1932-37 model:
http://www.photos.indianmotorbikes.com/32-37scout/3223702.jpg

This is a 1933-42 Scout Jr.
http://www.photos.indianmotorbikes.com/33-42scout/sct008.jpg

As is this one, but note the fenders:
http://www.photos.indianmotorbikes.com/33-42scout/sct003.jpg

The fender sides look like they were added.

It is hard to imagine riding those big monsters like they did with no gear... :brainsnap

Last edited:
Back