• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anybody using an Oil Extractor pump for oil changes?

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
D'Addario
I can't find much using he search engine but I am looking for some feedback if any of you guys have been using one on your Vic. Thanks

Not much of a situation yet. Just trying to make it easier and find out if anybody has any issues using one compared to draining from the drain plug. I am one of those guys that always manages to drop the plug in the dirty oil and then hit the drain pan spilling used oil while it is draining.

Been working on boats and bikes for years. Oil extractors keep you from trashing out the inside of your hull with spills however they do not remove all the old dirty oil. Using the drain plug on your bike will ensure most of the oil is out before you add the new oil. I for one really don't want to spend the $$ on good oil just to add it to some already dirty oil that did not get sucked out with the extractor.

Last edited:
Got a mity vac fluid evacuator. Works great but depending on the application it is slower than pulling the plug if you can get to the plug easily i would still pull the plug. Room temp oil takes longer. Gotta pump it up and then come back every 15 min and pump it up again until its done. There are cheaper ones. Even orielys keeps a cheap one in stock. I have had trouble with the suction tubes mity vac comes with not fitting down in some diesel construction equipment engines at all. The key to getting all the oil out is getting the tube all the way to the bottom without it curling back upwards and sucking air. All in all its a fun tool to play with and sometimes it is a worthy advantage depending on what your doing.

Do you have a straight shot to your oil pan? Pretty sure none of my bikes do. Those are really good when you have a dipstick like in a car, but wonder how they'd work on a bike.

I am going to try one of the pneumatic ones as a tech I know uses one. I also talked to a guy who does performance mods on Victory's and is considered one of the best tuners in the country and that is what he uses. Once I drain the oil I will pull my plug and see if there is any residual oil. If it doesn't work I can add it to my growing collection of that tools that looked cool and are worthless in my garage.

I have heard of the pneumatic ones needing seals all the time and i think you have to regulate your pressure down if you run high pressure.. also the non pneumatic ones work wherever, not just in reach of an air hose. Thats the reason i chose the hand pump.

Impossible to fish that suction tube to the low point of the motor in most all applications . If you don't believe me try sucking the oil then when you've got all you can pull the plug and see how much dirty oil you left in the motor . The best you can do on an automotive motor is a straight metal tube down the dip stick hole till it strikes the bottom of the pan . That will not work with a curved tube so that rules out most car motors . It will work on some cummins B series industrial motors . I put a remote drain hose on anything that's a problum , a wire braided hydraulic hose that screws into the oil pan with a jic hydraulic fitting and cap on the end . No failure unless you leave something loose .

What kind of bike are you trying to do this on? I'd say if you have a bike that has an oil tank it might be useful but if its something like a metric bike your just better off using the drain plug on the bottom of the bike. You want to make it easier??? Take a moment to remove any shields or weirdness that might block your access to it, and then warm the bike up. Maybe not to full operating temp so you don't burn yourself, but good and warm... Then turn it off, pop open the drain plug..... The oil should come out pretty quick and easy. You'll probably get more out that way than trying to use an oil pump to be honest. Just remember to wear a glove and keep pressure on the oil plug until you are ready to get your hand out of the way and you can usually make it a pretty clean process. If your bike has a filter drain the oil before popping it off and you will probably save some mess as well.

The fill port for the oil tank on my 05 650GS is very conveniently located on top of the faux gas tank. I use a 1/2" piece of tubing and siphon the tank. Does it get the same amount of oil as compared to the service manual directions. No, but it's very close, and siphoning is much simpler than all the disassembly required when following directions.

I also have to drain the engine sump from the bottom as well. No shortcuts here, just a sump plug and a socket wrench.

Jeff

My 950 KTM oil tank was a little bit of a pain , book recommends pulling tanks and a bunch of other crap . I didn't , it would drain and run down the frame and make a mess . No problum , any time I service a bike I let it drain over nite anyway so all the mess was dried off the frame before I plugged it . Till the steel drain plug threaded into a aluminum tank stripped , a common problum with them . I tapped the hole to a larger standard thread installed one hydraulic elbow to point out and clear all frame parts , once just right I loctited it into the tank . No need for it to ever be removed . Another elbow extended the drain point out till it cleared all interfering frame parts and it's loctited in place with a 1500 psi hydraulic line cap as a plug . No more mess and it takes longer to pour new oil in then it does to drain the oil . All for around ten bucks of parts .

Back