• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What earbuds for MP3 player

jbh

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Henderson
I just have the cheapies that came with my player. Even on the airplane they let in too much noise.

What does everyone use for riding and how much did they cost? Also any retailers that will let you return it would be a plus.

Thanks.

I use Etymotic ER-6i earplugs. Very good noise isolation. In fact, I only use them on the highway because they block the sounds of traffic so well. I can't even hear my own bike when I wear them. Great sound, too...a little lacking in bass response, but it's a minor issue for me. They fit under my full-face helmet very easily.

I got them on sale through Amazon for ~$70 a few months ago.

Here is a long thread about them from STN: ER-6i Thread

Chris (Crndallas) has a side business and sells custom fitted ones. They can get pricey but I think he has some more reasonable ones, too. He mentioned this at one of the TC M&Gs and has started attending different shows to sell them.

Might send him a PM...

Last edited:
Ditto the Sony's. Had mine for a couple years and they work quite well. Bought mine for $36 at Fry's.

jiffy said:
sony fontopia are the best for the price I could find. If you don't want to spend over $50. If you want the best you can find Etymotic and Shures for $100-$400 depending on the level of quality you want.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000092YQW/?tag=twowhetex-20

I'll throw a +1 in for these.

I've been using these for the pas few months and have been pleased. The audio quality is good, but not excellent. They also stay in the ear far enough so as not to be knocked loose when I put the helmet on.

I am very happy with the Etymotic ER6i's, I wasted a bunch of time and money with "cheaper" solutions. So much so that I could have paid for them.

I got tired of having the buds fall out when i put my helmet on or halfway through a ride. I bought some of the cheapy 20 dollar headphone speakers that you see on most of the moto websites and hardwired my helmet. The sound quality is as bad as anything at 60 mph and they sound fine at 0 mph with no hassles. The link is here (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Stereo-Helmet-Speakers-p-16311.html)

mhutch said:
I got tired of having the buds fall out when i put my helmet on or halfway through a ride. I bought some of the cheapy 20 dollar headphone speakers that you see on most of the moto websites and hardwired my helmet. The sound quality is as bad as anything at 60 mph and they sound fine at 0 mph with no hassles. The link is here (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Stereo-Helmet-Speakers-p-16311.html)

+1

I think my riding buddies got tired of waiting for me to get the earbuds set *just* right, too.

I listen to music 99% of the time when riding.I've been using installed helmet speakers for 3+ years now. First by Chatterbox, now by Starcom.

I can hear my music just fine through earplugs. I'm sure in-ear speakers would have higher quality, but the convenience just isn't there. Also, my ear cartilage was screaming for relief after a few hours with earbuds. I don't notice any irritation with helmet speakers.

My Etymotic ER6i's are simply the best that I have ever owned and I have had lots of them. I use them connected to a ipod shuffle to mow the yard and for longer rides. They seal off unwanted wind noise so it is not necessary to turn the volumn up as much and you can still hear most traffic noise such as horns and sirens.
They also have extra replacement in ear plugs as well as tiny filters and a neat little zipup case to store them in.
If they broke tomorrow I would gladly buy another pair, they are that good.

When you spend this kind of money on earphones you tend to take care of them, or at least I do.

I tried the helmet speakers and just didn't like them. I have switched my ER6i's to the foam tips and they were much more comfortable than the silicone tips for my ears plus they act just like the foam ear plugs that I was using.

Back