• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hydration Systems

Low tech hydration
Put it in saddle bag
Just like my XR, low tech
140.jpg

Maybe some more research is needed before throwing the baby out with the bathwater.:thumb: It would appear that every couple years another "REI, Camelbak, or similar outdoors type brand" is in bed with the evil greenies and we should all boycott them so we can show them what's up and who is in charge here.

Honestly I can't see anyone that wants to make money with as large of a diverse crowd as Camelbak drawing a line in the sand like that. It just doesn't make for good business.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2000 9:49 AM
Subject: RE: Sierra Club
Greg --

Thanks for clarifying the issue for me. In 1998, several online chat groups circulated a rumor that CamelBak donated $2.00 for every hydration system
we sold to "green advocacy" groups, and specifically to Sierra Club. This is absolutely untrue. CamelBak does not financially support the Sierra Club, or any other "green advocacy" group, through corporate donations or product donations. It's unfortunate that that rumor is rearing it's ugly head again. As I said in my previous email, we purchase ad space within Sierra Magazine and we sell products to the Sierra Club Outings program -- both with the purpose of promoting the sale of our products to Outdoor enthusiasts. We believe the Outdoors are for everyone. I hope this answers your question. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can answer other questions or be of more help.

Hydrate or Die!

Lea Morrison
Marketing Manager
CamelBak Products, Inc.
1310 Redwood Way, Suite 200
Petaluma, CA 94954
800.767.8725 x285
707.665.9231 fax

Good that you got that response.. We never could get a straight answer from the reps when they came in to the office.... But Bob Geiger (GEIGERRIG on adv.com) is really good people with a great product and awesome customer service if ever needed...

Two things:

1. If you have room, you can store your (empty) bladders in the fridge or freezer and they will stay fresh after a rinse out without the chemicals - as long as you just put water in it. (old adventure racing tip)

2. There is a site called Steepandcheap.com that put up killer deals on all things outdoor gear including camelbaks. If one is not in a hurry - you can watch the site. They put up one deal at a time and it ends in 20 mins or if it runs out. Be careful though it is addictive!!! The site is owned and operated by BackCountry.com so customer service is top notch.

I have a few camelbaks but the platypus system (been around a long time) is nice as well. I actually like the bite valve that shipped with the bladder in my BMG ADV jacket. It has a push/pull shutoff valve making it easier to operate with one hand.

For what it's worth the Platy uses a different compound that all but eliminates that plasticity taste and the rigidity of the bladder makes it a little more manageable at times. More info: http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hydration-systems/big-zip-sl/product

HTHs

Cortech 18L tank bag with Walmart cheapy bladder and hose. The tank bag has an exit hole for the hose and a clip to secure it. It's designed for bladders. Works great! And no backpack on your shoulders.

1. If you have room, you can store your (empty) bladders in the fridge or freezer and they will stay fresh after a rinse out without the chemicals - as long as you just put water in it. (old adventure racing tip)

+1
I carry only water in mine so don't even rinse them out. I just fill them back to the top after each ride and store them full in the garage. Before the next ride I drain and refill with fresh cold water. I've never cleaned either of my bladders and they're both fine. Keep out of sunlight and limit air inside by keeping full with clean water and no funky smells or tastes have a chance to grow.

_

Two things:

2. There is a site called Steepandcheap.com that put up killer deals on all things outdoor gear including camelbaks. If one is not in a hurry - you can watch the site. They put up one deal at a time and it ends in 20 mins or if it runs out. Be careful though it is addictive!!! The site is owned and operated by BackCountry.com so customer service is top notch.

Hmmm first time I check that website out and they have the SOG tomahawk for almost $20 MORE then Amazon after tax and shipping.

I broke down on this road trip and bought the Walmart special with 3 liters for 20 bucks... works great.. not bad for a purchase on the fly..

Back