Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #61
humanrace

Re: A 2 week ride to a country 10 million years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Gina, I have seen snow in June, July, August, and September in Colorado and parts of Utah. If you are at altitude, you just never know what you are going to get! The trip I did with Sarah last fall was in mid to late September. We hit a lot of the same places they hit on this trip, and then some, heading all the way up to Heber City near Salt Lake City. There is a road called Skyline Drive that runs through the mountains roughly parallel to I-15. It is awesome and most of it is 9000-11000 ft. Epic views. All dirt, but easy ride on your 690!! We got a hint of rain and temps in the low 50s for that day, but most of the rest of Utah was sunny and warm. When we got over into Western Colorado, we actually saw some sub freezing temps in the mornings, but it was awesome by noon. The Aspen trees were incredible. I've got the track files from the trip if you are interested in them.
I want the track files. Utah hasn't seen the last of me.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #62
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Gina, I have seen snow in June, July, August, and September in Colorado and parts of Utah. If you are at altitude, you just never know what you are going to get! The trip I did with Sarah last fall was in mid to late September. We hit a lot of the same places they hit on this trip, and then some, heading all the way up to Heber City near Salt Lake City. There is a road called Skyline Drive that runs through the mountains roughly parallel to I-15. It is awesome and most of it is 9000-11000 ft. Epic views. All dirt, but easy ride on your 690!! We got a hint of rain and temps in the low 50s for that day, but most of the rest of Utah was sunny and warm. When we got over into Western Colorado, we actually saw some sub freezing temps in the mornings, but it was awesome by noon. The Aspen trees were incredible. I've got the track files from the trip if you are interested in them.
Here's one in Colorado June 2015. We were not at real high altitude but little piles like this were in many spots where there was some shade.

1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou

Last edited by kickstand~prophet; 06-27-2017 at 02:23 PM.
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #63
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiTex View Post
That is it.

We spent the night in Salina. The next morning, we went up to Willow Creek Road to access Skyline Dr. It is a fantastic road. Once on Skyline, we ran North to Ephraim Canyon road. We dropped down into Ephraim for gas and lunch. While there, we watched some nasty rain storms roll through that looked like they were in the direction we were heading. We decided to go ahead and run back up Ephraim Canyon to Skyline and continue heading North. There were places where the ground was damp, but never muddy. It was kind of windy and it was in the low 50s. The views were still incredible. The whole route was just fantastic, and one of the highlights of the whole trip.

We made it to US 6. The plan was to continue North up through the mountains to US 40 and Heber City. However, the rain caught up with us at US 6 and it was dark as night the direction we were planning to ride, with lightning shattering the darkness. We decided to slab West on 6, run up US 89 through Provo, then head out US 189 to Heber City. This let us loop around and get ahead of the storm. We arrived at our hotel just moments before the storm caught us. Just after we unloaded and were heading for the hot tub, the hail started coming down! It rained most of the night. We were going to run the North Slope Rd., across the mountains that run East/West just below the Wyoming border. It runs between Hwy 150 and US 191 over by Flaming Gorge. We had been warned that if it were wet, it could be impassable on big adv bikes with luggage (and my passenger). That area got a LOT of rain over the night and next morning according to the radar. This caused us to abort the route for the next day and to improvise a new route that had less dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
I want the track files. Utah hasn't seen the last of me.
Email sent.

I never did get around to doing a ride report for that trip...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #64
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Scott, it's not too late for a ride report!

It sounds like an "epic" (over used word, ugh!) trip.

The father-daughter aspect makes it really special. Be really cool to hear from Sarah too.

I'd request the tracks, but I wouldn't know what to do with 'em. GPS university, here I come! ...Ok, next week...

***hijack over***

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 PM   #65
Doons

Enjoyed the ride report and pics.

In the spirit of you never know what you're going to get for weather..... Monarch Pass, CO, first of June on a trip in 2013. it was cool but the sun was high and warm and the roads dry... it was awesome riding.

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"

Last edited by Doons; 07-03-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #66
humanrace

b
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote