• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

PayPal/eBay issue

Reaction score
I have been advised, by PayPal, that there is an accumulative limit on sending funds/buying using PayPal

this limit is $2000 TOTAL and since i have just reached this arbitrary limit, i will have to give PayPal my personal banking information or take out a PayPal credit card, to continue doing business in the manner i had become accustomed to

for the record, i have a perfect payment record w/ PayPal, via my chosen credit card

i have, ALWAYS, competed the payment transaction at the time of placing an order and have never experienced any sort of negative feedback

just thought i might warn of the impending limits being placed on common business transactions with PayPal

just an FYI

sw

I went through this about a year ago. I called Paypal. I argued. They argued. I argued. They argued. After half an hour, I told them "Fine - I'll contact the vendor and tell him the sale is off because you won't approve the transaction." At that point, the customer service guy backed down and said "Okay, I'll approve you for this one transaction, but that's it." I bought the widget (something for my bike). The next day I received an email from Paypal informing me that, because I'm such a good customer, they'd decided to waive their requirement for my banking information. I've had no more problems with them.

My advice is do exactly the same. They're being a pain. Be a pain right back. Based on my experience, you'll win. Have fun.

Oh, and by the way, in all that debating back and forth, they never could give me a satisfactory reason for requiring checking account info. They insisted it was for my own protection, but exactly how was rather vague. I kept asking how their having my banking info as well as my credit card info made ME safer than their having just my credit card info. I'll give them this - their customer service people are well trained in double talk. But nothing works like the threat of contacting a vendor and blaming Paypal for a lost sale.

I got the same thing but my limit was $10,000. When I said something to my wife about not having spent that much using paypal, she informed me that I probably had...enough said. I haven't sent them any banking info either.

That's good Bro! LOL! You know those Taylor guitars are pricey on ebay!

Years ago, the way I got around that 2k limit was to get a Paypal credit card. Simple easy, quick application. No, PayPal will not get my banking info.

I remember having to give bank account info to open a PayPal account from the beginning. Opened one account in '05 and another in '10, same requirement each time. How are you guys opening a PayPal without a bank linked?

_

Went to the website, filled in the blanks, got the account. It may be that they've changed policy and now want everybody's banking info. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. But my guess is on the off chance that your credit card somehow stops payment on them; they want a fallback. I can see it protecting them, but I can't see how it protects me.

If they'd just been honest, I might have been a little more cooperative. But lie / bluff / BS me - whichever you want to call it - and then ask for my bank account number? Not happening.

@Lynn - As for the guitars, I've bought Taylors and other guitars at shops all over the US. But the operative word is shops. Every place I've ever bought an expensive hunk of wood from, I was able to call the store, talk to the owner or manager, have them give me detailed info, and then send me 40 or so photos. When you've done that and you can feel confident in the merchant, you can feel a lot more confident about his product. I've bought from great high end and vintage stores in Louisiana, Florida, Pennsylvania, Chicago, California, Kansas City - but never Ebay. And never had to use Paypal either.

When you use a credit card ANYWHERE, the seller incurs a charge from Visa or Mc or whomever the card company is. It has increased recently, but it was always there. Using the bank info means PayPal doesn't have that charge, and they can verify their receipt of funds immediately.
SOMEBODY will make that money on the use of a card, so why not PayPal?
I've used direct withdrawal from my bank account for years, having it drawn out AFTER I receive my widgets. And on one occasion where I was not satisfied, I returned the widget and the money was back in my account as soon as the return was approved by the vendor. PayPal is the safest way to send international funds for widget purchases, if they don't take a credit card. I hype PP to companies that want to go international.

I was told I needed to set up a bank account and I did. No problems.
I just opened a new account and did not keep that much money in it.
If I needed more money in the account, just transferred in the amount I needed. The credit union person just had the account flagged for paypal only and no other accounts involved.:sun:

hey guys, thanks for the replies

i just got thru telling eBay i'm done with them if this isn't resolved

& resolved w/o giving anyone my banking information or taking out another credit card

so far, i'm not in any financial bind & don't intend to put myself in one, nor open myself up to indiscriminate practices

i'm too old to commit any more stupidity...

sw

hey guys, thanks for the replies

i just got thru telling eBay i'm done with them if this isn't resolved

& resolved w/o giving anyone my banking information or taking out another credit card

so far, i'm not in any financial bind & don't intend to put myself in one, nor open myself up to indiscriminate practices

i'm too old to commit any more stupidity...

sw

Nicely done, Steve. :clap:

They want you to use their 20 percent card , and when you do and pay it off every month and dont pay intrest they will shut it off on you too . Thats when I told paypal and flea bay to stick it where the sun dont shine

They want you to use their 20 percent card , and when you do and pay it off every month and dont pay intrest they will shut it off on you too . Thats when I told paypal and flea bay to stick it where the sun dont shine

I have had their card for some time now and do all my on-line transactions using the PayPal card. I have never paid a cent in interest, and they haven't cut mine off yet. Do you have more details on this?

I have had their card for some time now and do all my on-line transactions using the PayPal card. I have never paid a cent in interest, and they haven't cut mine off yet. Do you have more details on this?

I have a PayPal Mastercard debit card and they pay me for using it. Yes every quarter they rebate a percentage of all my purchases. I believe it is 1%, not alot but every penny helps.

_

I was told I needed to set up a bank account and I did. No problems.
I just opened a new account and did not keep that much money in it.
If I needed more money in the account, just transferred in the amount I needed. The credit union person just had the account flagged for pay-pal only and no other accounts involved.:sun:

you beat me to it! have a little side account for pay-pall so they cant lock up your money.

Back