• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Eclipse Trip Aug 21

jsb223

Reaction score
First Name
jsb223
Anyone planning a trip to the eclipse path?

I thought about it but then encountered several stories about massive
migrations of people to the path being that it's in the height of
vacation season and most schools won't have started.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/traffic-congestion-predictions-maps-eclipse-august-21-2017

Found a non Interstate highway in Nebraska that almost duplicates the path. and is coincidentally 2.2 miles long.

At 50mph it might be fun to ride through one.

:ponder:

I was seriously thinking of it, but also got pretty much scared off by the crowds. And, it's not too too much later (2024) when it'll happen again - but this time right over central Texas...

We are going to view in Missouri, taking car. Probably have to sleep in vehicle, most places booked up. Friend is getting us special glasses. Hope weather is compliant.

Attachments

• Eclipse.jpg
    Eclipse.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 155
Been looking forward to Eclipse Day all year. I do have a hotel reservation. One that can be cancelled at no charge just in case it is cloudy in central Missouri that day. Suspect it will be a heavy traffic day as peeps try to get to somewhere on the narrow line of totality. I'll take the cage if the wife goes, otherwise I'll be on the bike with camping gear in case I need to chase clear skies. For now, I plan to view the eclipse in Mokane, MO.

Yes, in 7 years I can view the total eclipse from the swimming pool in the back yard while sipping a cold beverage. Problem is I'm getting to the age where living another 7 years is less certain. Would hate to checkout before seeing the show.

For a preview:
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2024-april-8

:eek2::eek2: That's why we didn't make hotel reservations, in case we need to head toward Tennessee or better viewing area. Some think this may be the event, R?P?U?E . We want to be at a high elevation where we will be closer and have a better chance of not being left behind :lol2: (hard laugh smilie implies humor, I am not serious like some of the shortwave radio jockeys and such) Remember the blood moons of 2014 - 2015 which were supposed to be the biggie.
Anyway we have special glasses that we ordered coming in the big brown truck. To view a full eclipse is a possible once in a lifetime thingy. If my be like that scene from Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977) Devils Tower, with all those folks sitting on the side of the road in pickup beds and lawn chairs with that look in their eyes that was evidenced in The Invasion of The Body Snatchers movie (1956). You will have it if viewed without eye protection. I will wear a pith helmet wrapped in aluminum foil as part of my PPE :sun::photo::eek2:

Agree that we can expect way too much craziness as the day approaches.
What I remember is when the comet, Hale-Bopp flew by a couple of decades ago, 39 members of a cult offed themselves in the hopes of hitching a ride. What really sticks in my mind though is that 9 of those 39 Heaven's Gate cult members had castrated themselves before beaming out. Yikes!

Last edited:
I want to, but I want to share this with the kiddo. His first day of school is August 22. :( Still, we can discuss it and see what we can see from here, it'll still be cool, and then look forward to it again in 2024.

Already have reservations of paved parking and grassy viewing area for my grandson's class--field trip. Arrangements made for full self-containment including food, and hygiene. Nobody knows what will happen with the crowds, but some small towns are worried the water demand (500,000 flushes) will drain water supplies. Law enforcement is already planning on shutting down interstates in the path of totality.

Most stores around here have stacks of protective glasses, for $1 a pair. Selling fast, though.

Once the diamond disappears from the ring (nothing visible through the safety glasses) it will be safe to view the eclipse without safety glasses until the diamond reappears on the other side of the ring. No more than 2 minutes 38 seconds at the most someplace in MO, right under the center of the moon during totality, time span reducing to nothing at the edge of totality.

I saw the 1970 total solar eclipse while camping in the Everglades. Temps dropped 25-30*F. No reason that won't happen again, so be prepared for a bit of a chill. When the humidity is high and the temp drops 25-30*F expect rain. Lots of rain. Be prepared. Everglades is flat--hardly nothing runs in or out quickly. Where we were camped the water table was about 6 inches under the surface. Before midnight water was more than knee deep to us teenagers. No idea what was going on in the nudist camp across the highway--wouldn't dare wandering in the dark considering the big snapping turtles, water moccasins, and alligators slithering around.

Good safety videos here.

Last edited:
Anyone familiar with backroads motorcycling (like a lot of the TWTers) can easily find a place in the path of totality.
A lot of this hype sounds just like the Y2K nonsense. Interstates will NOT be shut down, the eclipse has no more effect on the weather than clouds passing overhead.
Most people will watch it on their phone devices; kids these days for the most part are not going to want to travel hours to see a brief eclipse. \
We should be ready for a deluge of "OMGs!" and "***!", although there could be some traffic snarls in urban areas.
I apologize for sounding "snarky", but personally travelled from central TX to north central NM several years ago for an eclipse. It was great, wore welder's goggles, got on a mountain top outside of Corona NM (that's appropriate, right?), but the only other observer there was one of the cinnamon bears found in that area. It was about as cool as the celestial happening.

I'm 2 hrs 47 min from Franklin, NC, 2:35 to Clemson, SC, if anyone's interested. We are working on getting our final setup on our B&B. I have limited bedrooms available. Just SW of Catawba, NC. Not quite as exciting as the eclipse, but we have 19 chickens, 2 ducks and 3 pigs. Have been known to fire up the smoker with the right incentive.

Last edited:
I was debating about a run up to Ten Sleep Wyoming to see Coolhand (Justin) at the brewery. By road, he's only 45 minutes from the path. Less if you bushwhack.

But I'm probably not going to. But I keep looking at solar filters for the camera...ah, who knows.

I was debating about a run up to Ten Sleep Wyoming to see Coolhand (Justin) at the brewery. By road, he's only 45 minutes from the path. Less if you bushwhack.

But I'm probably not going to. But I keep looking at solar filters for the camera...ah, who knows.

does a black trash bag stretched over the lens count? :giveup:

We have hotel reservations in Salina, KS which is two hours outside the center. We'll drive up there two days before, then get up really early on the 21st and drive the rest of the way. It's Kansas, there's lots of room!

Anyone familiar with backroads motorcycling (like a lot of the TWTers) can easily find a place in the path of totality.
A lot of this hype sounds just like the Y2K nonsense. Interstates will NOT be shut down, the eclipse has no more effect on the weather than clouds passing overhead.
Most people will watch it on their phone devices; kids these days for the most part are not going to want to travel hours to see a brief eclipse. \
We should be ready for a deluge of "OMGs!" and "***!", although there could be some traffic snarls in urban areas.
I apologize for sounding "snarky", but personally travelled from central TX to north central NM several years ago for an eclipse. It was great, wore welder's goggles, got on a mountain top outside of Corona NM (that's appropriate, right?), but the only other observer there was one of the cinnamon bears found in that area. It was about as cool as the celestial happening.

What was the humidity during your experience? That is the critical factor influencing the weather. High humidity + 25*F temp drop = rain. Low humidity + 25*F temp drop = not rain. Different strokes for different folks, depending on humidity. But since you said so, I'm obviously wrong. :rofl:

I am headed straight up I-35 to York, NE, then through Grand Island and halfway to Alliance, NE. Should be just right in the Sand Hills. I will head up a 2 days before, mess around, and then hightail home after the 3 minutes of total darkness.
If I have others who want to go from Austin, I can carry 4 in the T&C van, or ride.
Van's more comfortable, and 2 can camp in it.
Rusty, I haven't heard from Scott on this one. What about you?

We are going to stay with friends in Wyoming, and headed to Glacier NP after. Taking the Van.

Mike, I have to stretch vacation so I need to plan carefully...or more likely, go up the weekend before, work remotely, then come home the next weekend.

Well, I may just camp in the van solo.
After all I've been through these last two years, I don't depend on being here in 2024. If so, I call that gravy!

Last edited:
Well, I may just camp in the van solo.
After all I've been through these last two years, I don't depend on being here in 2024. If so, I call that gravy!

I feel the same way. Beat cancer 5 years ago, beat crushed under a van 4 years ago, beat head first into concrete at 65mph 2 years ago. There isn't much left not damaged except a bit below one knee.

Appreciate the present, tomorrow may never come.

Cloud cover forecast??

Looking for a good place for forecasting cloud cover on Eclipse Day. I plan to use this site unless someone has a better one. I will be on the bike Sunday and Monday so will have a lot of freedom of movement to find a clear sky.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx

I've had good luck with Wunderground.

We have hotel reservations in Salina, KS which is two hours outside the center. We'll drive up there two days before, then get up really early on the 21st and drive the rest of the way. It's Kansas, there's lots of room!

I will also be in Salina Sunday night. Look for the white FJCruiser Trails Team.. Holliday Inn Express.

Back