• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hallo from San Antonio

There are a million factors that affect your rates, of course - your zip code, driving record, previous claims, and the mystical sauce of insurance rate wizardry that absolutely nobody seems to understand.

That said, I can tell you that 650 VStroms have very affordable rates in general. I personally pay under $500 a year for full coverage on my 2012 650 Adventure model. That is through Progressive. By the way, I'm 66 years old, so I'm actually in that class of people who get absolutely the lowest rates - that is, until I move into an older age group where geezerdom starts driving my rates upward again.

I would expect the GS to be in a pretty similar rate class. In fact, when I seriously looked at an F800GT earlier this year, I talked to an agent and learned that rates on that bike would also be quite similar to what I pay on the VStrom. Non-high performance or sport orientation, under 1000cc engine, $10K or below sticker, seem to form a general price class. I'm not too familiar with the Street Twin, other than it's a derivative of the Bonneville family; probably the rates would remain in the same general realm, but that's a whole lot more of a SWAG than my guesswork on the Beemer.

Ultimately, if you have an agent, call him and ask some questions. He probably won't be able to give you an exact figure, but should be able to get you within $50 or so.

Last edited:
See that's some good info right there, Progressive, 650 Vstrom, 2012, full coverage, $500, age 66. Gives my Google numbers more value.

I've also come to the conclusion that it doesn't actually matter if it's $1000 a year or less. As I hadn't looked at it at a per month basis until after I asked.

Street Twin is only non adv or Enduro I'm considering, 900cc, 55HP, 59ftlbs max at lower RPMs at any of the others (not that I'm sure aboutamy others as that is rarely listed), at 437lbs similar to others I looked at. SCR950 is off the table, don't like to lug around 550lbs with hardly any rear travel, sad, SCR is second best looking bike (the out of price contention Street Scrambler) is #1 on looks.
What those three bikes I gave as insurance example have in common is ABS and traction control, from searching TWT I find there is at least consensus on motorcycle ABS being worth it, no clear picture on traction control but I'm thinking it ought to be similar.
Neither is a cure all, but in a surprise situation it should be as good at least than on a car. And I'm hoping it has impact on insurance.

In total contradiction to that, if I buy something "cash and carry" it'll be one of the many affordable Enduros on here. Sans abs or traction control.
After all I'll almost be new to bikes again and might go used first (I rode my Brother in law's XT500 for that reason. Until I bought my own...)

But brand new I think I won't miss out.

I really appreciate your thorough reply, it helps having some real feedback (real, even if we never met...my wife always asks me how I consider people real I never met, guess that's why I added the () to begin with)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should meet sometime. We have a lot in common to talk about - not the least of which is I'm originally from San Antonio. If I have an opportunity to get down that way, I'll give you a shout.

I was never interested in ABS until I had it. I wouldn't want to be without it now, whether it's my bike or my Jeep. Traction control? Probably on my next bike if there is one.

If $1000 a year is your top price for insurance, you're probably good for just about any bike that isn't classified as a sport bike. Squids don't buy adventure bikes. The Street Twin is probably a cruiser to the insurance companies, and even the F800GT that I looked at is considered a tour bike, not a performance bike.

I think you're looking at 3 very sweet rides there, each for different reasons. Like many here, I love VStroms and will probably ride my 2012 until I have to trade it for a walker or a Porsche, whichever comes first. The F700GS is a little less common here, but several folk here ride them - Kickstand-Prophet has one; we've traveled together and it's a gem. Again, I don't know a lot about the Street Twin, except that it has really good bones. Anyway, good hunting finding the right bike.

Deal, as long as I have a bike by then. I'd turn green if you ride off and I have to get back in my old Grand Cherokee (beware Jeep plastic)

I'm sure you'll find the American "rider ed" course a complete joke compared to licensing requirements in Germany. If you can duck-walk a Rebel through a figure-eight in enough room to park a semi truck, congratulations, you pass.

ABS and traction control are nice, although personally I wouldn't consider either a hard requirement. They're becoming pretty common features on the ADV bikes now. The SCR950 is a midsize cruiser that Yamaha slapped some mildly "rugged" styling on. It's no more off road capable than any other streetbike.

650 Strom's are a perennial favorite for good reason, and can be had secondhand for very reasonable prices. Reliable, good engines, not too huge, but still all-day capable. When I worked at a Suzuki dealership we'd have them come in with some serious miles, saw 100k+ a few times, and never had major issues.

Might also take a look at the FJ-09 as well for a lightweight tourer. Great bikes as well, fantastic engines.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a lot of possibles, the three mentioned just marched to the top of the list one way or the other.
FJ-09 isn't fully out ("what is another 700?" I already thought about the Triumph Street Scrambler), if only I could get the FJ-07...., Maybe though a XSR-900...You can see I have to just limit myself.

F700GS and Vstrom 650 being up top definitely relates to TWT browsing and BMW in particular because of a comment in Germany about the 1200GS "starting it all" (it somehow must have swung my wife pro bike (in the US, she rode with me in Germany) when I looked at all those 1200 and commented how they look better and better to me (and wow are there a lot in Germany, I mean Adv vs Enduro, ratio sure seems to favor Adv now, not how it was when I left))

Enduros sans ABS and Traction control still have a strong hold on me, and if used/cash it will be an Enduro. I'm 6'1, 34" inseem, I felt good on enduros, especially my brother in law's XT600 and TT600, which is why DR650 is way high on list too (out of DR, KLR and XR the DR is the most attractive 650 enduro)

Finally heard back from our insurance agent.

In short: "No VIN, no Quote", when I made it clear I'm looking at buying, not have bought, one.

Can anyone recommend a good agent in San Antonio or close by that is a little more helpful?

I did at least find out insurance would be through Progressive, not much use if I can't get a quote based on my existing insurance info and models provided within "a few hundred dollars".

Also waiting to hear back from Nationwide, wasn't able to make their online quote system happy with my "don't actually own one yet" info entered on their page, so no instant numbers.

Thanks,

Daniel

PS: It's official, no more picking up daughter from school, as of yesterday she has her class C, restrictions A and G :)
(I think that's a big part why wife suddenly switched to "go get a bike")

If there's a used bike you're interested in, just contact the seller and ask for the VIN. If everything is legit they should have no problem providing this...

Insurance almost always asks for the vin. People often have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to year/make/model. Working at that dealership I was shocked how many people wouldn't know basic details like the model year or engine size of their bike. "uhh, it's a cruiser, think it's a suzuki, and it's red". Rather than play 20 questions I'd always just ask for the VIN.

The KLR650 is another bike with a big following. Rugged, reliable, has some mild off-road credentials. Really any of the multi-cylinder ADV bikes I wouldn't want to take on anything more challenging than an improved dirt road. The KLR I'd consider OK to dip onto some easier trails. The bike (and it's owners) are famously cheap. The KLR is a little more touring/road friendly than the XR or DR 650 as well, but if you want a bike with a sporty nature, definitely look elsewhere.

You might like a EnduroR. New would be out of your price range, but like most "exotic" brands, KTMs seem to depreciate pretty hard the first couple years. I've seen low miles, farkled up ones used for around $7k, and the performance versus one of the dinosaur japanese 650's is night and day.

Yeah it'll be accurate with VIN, just tried to get a rough estimate based on exact info (minus VIN).
I like the KLR look but rather get a multi piston bike to get out of the city, I like idea of getting more on those bikes.
If a single after all, ideal would be DR650

Guess I collect VINs when I test sit, I probably need to slow down anyway cause if memory serves me right if I get excited about stuff, something or someone always throws me a curve ball ;)
Performance i look at enough to move my no longer twenty and skinny body with ease, without having too much excess power, a lot of bikes fit that bill.

Got a Nationwide quote, didn't expect the Suzuki Vstrom 650XT to cost more than the BMW F700GS.
1442 vs 1972

Are all motorcycle insurances "pay in full"? From cars I only know 6 month policies, pay monthly or full for discount, not "pay in full only".

Edit: Geico and Progressive look more along what I was expecting, I also realized editing posts in Tapatalk changed (found it), so no more bumping a thread to add a little note, sorry about the frequent bumping.

Last edited:
viffer07; said:
my wife took her training at this sleaze place. she was the only woman in the class. they (instructors..the fat one) were the most foul mouthed, F-bombing, pieces of slime you could ever meet.

After taking the course with Darrin and Ian (the weight challenged one) I can say they are certainly rough around the edges, but their heart is where it counts, I particularly liked Ian in the classroom part, "pieces of slime" is way harsh.
It was a fun and enjoyable experience (considering I hate to perform in front of others and know I'll be judged) and educational too.

Ian's patience with people is actually admirable, just don't expect cuddles for doing what you're supposed to do, and you will hear about what you're doing wrong until you don't do it wrong.
(People not listening? Ian's favorite)

And a side note about not riding for 20 years and then being on an Eliminator, humble pie everywhere. (not ever going to get a bike with pegs in front of me)

Last edited:
Not sure how people are getting quotes for $1500+ to insure a midsize touring bike. Your driving record must be a mile long, or you're getting quoted total insanity. For reference, I was 24 when I bought a brand new Kawi Z1000, and got quoted $800 for full coverage. Young kid, on a liter class sportbike. I don't have a spotless record either.

Right now I pay about $400 for liability and comp on my Scout, Beta, and Burgman combined on progressive. Every year or two I shop around to see if anyone is willing to beat it, and nobody else even comes close.

Dunno about others, but Progressive allows you to pay upfront, or make monthly payments. You save about 10% if you pay upfront.

I'm sure he plugged in something wrong because Geico/Progressive, based on bike, I get quotes from $500 to $800 even when putting my years of owning a bike at 0 (as that's rather accurate after 20 years of none).
Insurance isn't much of an issue I don't think.

It's the financing that surprised me, I didn't expect the best deals due to not having best credit, but it's a moving target as far as the downpayments I'm told with Triumph financing.
I'm not a fan of hearing $3000 down that later is $3299 or a $1700 down on a street twin that later is "closer to $3000" because new finance company realized they applied a deal not applicable in my "small bike".

So I walked away, I don't like moving numbers, looked more at CycleTrader for used bikes after tshelfer suggested CT.

So I thought I'll be settling down and not be all jumpy until I got a text today explaining the VW Financing hard inquiry I found on my credit report, Ducati dealer has me preapproved for a Ducati scrambler Icon or Sixty2.
Two very attractive bikes. So I'll be taking a long close look at them.

100lbs less than the Triumph or Vstrom/F700GS is *very* attractive.
But it's a different animal at max torque at higher RPM.

I'm sure he plugged in something wrong because Geico/Progressive, based on bike, I get quotes from $500 to $800 even when putting my years of owning a bike at 0 (as that's rather accurate after 20 years of none).
Insurance isn't much of an issue I don't think.

It's the financing that surprised me, I didn't expect the best deals due to not having best credit, but it's a moving target as far as the downpayments I'm told with Triumph financing.
I'm not a fan of hearing $3000 down that later is $3299 or a $1700 down on a street twin that later is "closer to $3000" because new finance company realized they applied a deal not applicable in my "small bike".

So I walked away, I don't like moving numbers, looked more at CycleTrader for used bikes after tshelfer suggested CT.

So I thought I'll be settling down and not be all jumpy until I got a text today explaining the VW Financing hard inquiry I found on my credit report, Ducati dealer has me preapproved for a Ducati scrambler Icon or Sixty2.
Two very attractive bikes. So I'll be taking a long close look at them.

100lbs less than the Triumph or Vstrom/F700GS is *very* attractive.
But it's a different animal at max torque at higher RPM.

Get the KTM 690 enduro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elmeano85 said:
Get the KTM 690 enduro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm afraid that particular Enduro would be wasted on me and that makes it then too expensive to not be used right.
Not that it's not appealing.

Last edited:
So I went full circle.

(You can skip to the pictures if that wall of words seems daunting)

I researched the Ducari Scrambler Icon a lot, great bike I'm sure, but I noticed I started planning out all changes I would have done early on because so many were not only using a bike they wanted to improve, but it more came across as many wanting to fix the bike.

So instead of going for the first bike I sat on (Street Twin) or the first bike they offered $0 down on (Ducati Scrambler Icon), I decided to get all my options lined up and pick the one my senses told me is “most me”.
So I let BMW get me an offer on a F700GS, and there was an immediate difference, unlike giving me numbers over phone, email or text that didn't stay fixed like Triumph/Ducati and didn't ever show all fees and taxes, Alamo BMW sent me a PDF showing me the full breakdown, with disclaimer that it won't be final until credit is ran.
So I filled out the credit app since I liked where that was going.
Actual deal then was resent and offer to let them know if I wanted to go ahead (deal was better than quoted after credit was ran).
They had the bike I wanted, in the color I wanted with the options I wanted (but would have been too cheap to go and get), payments were doable, downpayment was 1/4th what Triumph wanted (for Street Scrambler, Street Twin I still don't know how much it had been), bought Geico insurance and sent them copy of ID and insurance to put bike on hold until Saturday, because overtime was drowning me during week.

So today I went in, signed, paid (added on 3 year unlimited Tire/Wheel deal) and went over the controls of the bike, tried putting it on the center stand a couple times (who would have thought sucking at dieting would ever work in my favor!)
And took it home over I10, took it around the block to get a feel for bike before heading down on I10 though.
Weaved a little to see how it'll handle and my thought there was “oh, she feels stiff, she'll need some convincing in turns”.
Went on to I10 and Everytime I saw a turn with a posted yellow speed sign thought “Here we go, better get ready to press” and then the magic happened, when I don't weave but just go on a curve, she leans like she has no weight, doesn't prefer going straight, she goes where I think of going, like she knows where I want to go and takes me there.
A little bit like riding on rails that get laid right in front of you.

I think it doesn't like the low RPM driving I'm used to, so her and I need to get used to each other in that regard and I'll have to get used to not driving that low on the tacho.

My day was about to get better yet.
I came home and wife was not only “ugh ok” with it, she complimented the bike, and as if that wouldn't have been great enough, she told me that she had mentioned to our daughter she should get a helmet so she could ride with me! I don't know who this woman is pretending to be my wife, but I love her! (Too bad daughter wasn't interested :P)

So I have a bike I wanted, a bike I enjoy and I get to fully enjoy it guilt free.

I'll also comment on my gear choice, but I think I need to introduce “her” here:

ec605bddd4ee8ce5573d15aadc84ffb2.jpg

ddfa7ab992cab7111a29a35ec88b49bb.jpg

My helmet is a Sedici Avventura, reviews were not the hottest but it seemed to make a great helmet for me regardless because it fit and was comfortable, I can always add earplugs and yes it's noisy, but the comfort is good, it should work with goggles as well as using the built in clear visor, and I love having a top visor to use against the sun.

The Bilt Techno jacket was on sale at Cycle Gear (within lunch break reachable distance from work) and yes, mesh jackets are impressive, although it feels quite weird feeling that 102F air blow across you.

Thank you all for your input and comments, it has helped my journey thus far.

Hopefully the next picture of it would be somewhere else but at my curb.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Last edited:
Nice bike . This is a little late but I don`t ride with mesh gear anymore.I had one mesh jacket way back when and I felt like the hot air was worse with it . it might be better while your stopeed in traffic but I don`t like it better than my old Joe Rocket jacket while moving. I don`t know if you have one but to me the secrect of riding in the Texas summer heat is using a camelback and drinking lots of water. Ride safe , maybe we will meet up sometime.

Thanks guys.

Well, JMZ, my next jacket will be similar to what I used to have and then I will enjoy it fall/winter/spring, and I will find out how long I can push it into the summer.

Of course they showed me the BMW jacket there, price point aside, I must admit, it's a well engineered peace of gear. The amount of vents it has sets the target for "the next jacket".

Just didn't want to start with it finding out I can't handle it :)

Mesh vs. fabric is kinda like oil debates. The important thing is Daniel showed good (and experienced) rider sense by buying protective clothing before he bought a bike that had to be ridden home.

tshelfer said:
Mesh vs. fabric is kinda like oil debates. The important thing is Daniel showed good (and experienced) rider sense by buying protective clothing before he bought a bike that had to be ridden home.

While I'm not ATGATT, I'm no squid.
I'm pretty much MTGMTT. (Edit: MTGATT is more fitting)
Retro MX boots would be next. Any SIDI looking boot I always found too stiff.
Pants (that aren't overpants) I'm actually considering this time around.

Most exciting story from today's short ride to Bandera?
I'm at about a 15% "wave" rate, none of the tough Harley riders bothered, and seems the more gear the riders wore the more likely they recipricated or even initiated.
I admired that guy on "some sports bike" in full gear, deep lean, giving a fully extended arm as he made that look just too easy. First one of the day, and it's what made me enjoy the ride more to be honest.

Last edited:
Everybody has to find their gear level and comfort, and then live with it and the responsibility of it. I suit up head to toe, but do sometimes get lazy when I'm just making a Walmart run, and don't wear my overpants. And I rarely wear ankle high boots, opting instead for low-quarter slip-ons with a nice, sticky waffle tread. But I never ride past the end of the driveway without jacket, helmet, & gloves.

Back