• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: MotoGP 2018 & Handbuilt Motorcycle Show (warning: spoilers)

When I exited turn 11 gate yesterday it didn't look like they were taking tickets. And he would only let me exit you said I wouldn't be able to reenter because they couldn't rescan my tickets. So I'd say no you can't answer us at 11.

I'm having coffee by ampitheater right now. Heading for turns 5 and 6 soon.

T11 entrance is closed

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well, I manage to meet up with Gravel Guy and Mason, Jeff S, Deco and Zigzag and at the end, Tricepilot. It was good to visit with all of them. Racing undercard was good. Main event was a bit boring.

Real boring not even a race within the race, Before his career is over Marquez may be the greatest M/C racer there has ever been.. The big screen and sound on turn 11 was great. This year may be my last, lot of walking and $.
It looked like a lot more people this year. I froze riding to it and hot going home, but overall a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Attendance figures, which COTA no longer releases to the media, surpassed expectations because COTA opened two extra parking lots at the last minute, both free to the public.

If Marquez has any influence as to his opinion of the track upon the Barcelona based DORNA Sports (holding company for MotoGP), DORNA will move to Austin and build their HQ here along side of Marc's mansion he has under construction :giveup:

Yes, it is easier to watch the whole thing online via MotoGP Videopass or whatever else is out there, but a day in the sunshine in Texas watching all levels of racing versus staying at home watching reruns of the Andy Griffith Show isn't a hard decision.

I must be invisible.

I wore a black TWT t-shirt hoping somebody would shout me out.

I never saw anybody I knew.... TWT peeps or otherwise.

Should've just stayed for Moto 2 & 3 and then gone home. I would've beat more of the crowd. MotoGP was another snoozer.

Should've just stayed for Moto 2 & 3 and then gone home. I would've beat more of the crowd. MotoGP was another snoozer.

I watched the Big Boys from turn 11 with Rusty and then used the closest gate to exit straight to the Lot H/motorcycle parking. Started walking during the last lap. Was out and on 130 in a flash. :zen:

I watched the Big Boys from turn 11 with Rusty and then used the closest gate to exit straight to the Lot H/motorcycle parking. Started walking during the last lap. Was out and on 130 in a flash. :zen:

I was a lap behind you leaving. Beat the rush out of the lot. Had no desire at that point to stay for the MotoAmerica race or track walk.

I stayed to let the crowd disappear and look at the KTM tent again. Watched a bit of the MA race too.

Traffic was terrible till we hit 130.
We wished we would of left early. Good call .

HB show was pretty lame, not worth my $15, plus the $10 CASH ONLY parking fee.

MotoGP race was a total snooze fest. Moto2 was a good race and Moto 3 was decent.

I've gone for the past 3 years. I may skip next year. Tired of watching MM just ride away from everyone and moving the free motorcycle parking from right by the entrance to all the way down at H is really frustrating as well.

I watched Moto3 from the turn 18-19 grass, Moto2 from the T15 grandstands, and MotoGP from the T12 Grandstands. All 3 have good views of the race but I think I like the view from T15 the best. Just make sure to have earplugs....it gets LOUD there.

BTW... I left before the MotoAmerica race as well but it was a far better race. I watched it at home last night and it was way better. I should have stayed for it.

Last edited:
It's funny to that Austin has been such an uncompetative race, despite the general level of competition in the last couple seasons. I'm impressed by Iannone, expected more from Folger (I expect him to be the fastest Yamaha these days). Also impressed that Rabat and Miller beat the other two Duc's of Lorenzo and Peturcci.

I thought the HB show was amazing. I went to the first one, but hadn't been back in a while. The show seemed both bigger and better organized. Talking to some of the builders was also fascinating.

I left through t11 after the podium ceremony and interviews. Went out the north side to 71 then 130. I think it took me longer to get to the track than getting out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Watched on the MotoGP app from Iraq, the race was a runaway but I was impressed by the gumption of Dani and the overall improvement of Suzuki. Hope Ducati sorts their malaise prior to Spain otherwise it's going to be another win for Marquez. Love him / hate him, he's the real deal. Going to be a long year for Rossi fans I'm afraid.

So on TV the stands looked deserted on Friday and Saturday. Even Sunday it seemed everyone was sleeping in and just showed up for the MotoGP. Shame really, hope the ticket sales were better than last year so they can afford to repave the track. Good grief that looked a mess. Horsepower Rodeo indeed!

In the end though it looked like a stellar central Texas day and what better way to spend it than being around the best riders in the world? Next year baby!

Dave.

HB show was pretty lame, not worth my $15, plus the $10 CASH ONLY parking fee.

It's all perspective. Having owned five original representatives of the modified bikes, it was a trip down memory lane for me. There were some cool riders' bikes in the parking lot, also.

I'm sad you guys all seem to find a Master Class in bike control to be so boring. And this from a Rossi fan too.

We stayed for the Superbikes, enjoyed the racing & spent no more than 10 minutes getting to 130. All was great on I35 too until we hit Temple...:giveup:

Marquez was great and in total control, but I do like to see some passing. By comparison, qualifying was more fun to watch. But I'd do it again, and have. Still enjoyed it.

Marquez was great and in total control, but I do like to see some passing. By comparison, qualifying was more fun to watch. But I'd do it again, and have. Still enjoyed it.

Saturday's Superbike race was the best event all weekend. A wet race & some fine, hard riding. Scholtz started way back but fought hard to take the win from Herrin & Beaubier.

COTA_Saturday1-1024x683.jpg

Back