• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need a list for full rebuild XR650L

Reaction score
I’m really in no hurry but want to start getting parts together.
I want as much low end and midrange as I can get.
I know I want the 2nd gear but I’m undecided on the 5th. I’m not in a hurry to go any where. I use it to ride about a 50mi round trip to Work and the occasional ride in the hill country.
I have a xrs only slip on and did Dave’s mod at 600mi.

2007 44,000mi
Doesn’t smoke
Same timing chain
Same clutch

My short list:

1. 2nd gear
2. All bearings
3. Timing gear stuff
4. Big bore kit (unsure how big or which one)
5. Those little springy thingys in the tranny.
6. Clutch
7. Not sure what to do with the head and cam
8. New oil pump
9. Oil cooler

Well that’s a start.

Thanks in advance for your input.

If I were doing it again (building a XRL) I would not modify 5th gear. My experience is that with the different 5th gear the gap between 4th and 5th is too wide for the bike. The motor struggles with the gap if the bike is loaded down or if riding anything but flat roads. Even with a big bore kit installed the motor still struggled (to be fair, my big bore kit was not jetted correctly, which likely contributed to the issue).

I would also have the engine jetted using a dynometer. It made a world of difference on my old XRL.

Finally, if you are carrying any weight at all on the back of the bike, I would have the subframe reinforced.

As always, YMMV.

Are you a member on ADVRider.com?

There is an extensive thread in the Thumper section for XRLs only.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/xrl-owners-sign-in.114834/

A wealth of knowledge in that thread and a great resource.

Thumpertalk has a similar thread and many of the same folks post in both places.

There is a guy on the west coast who builds XR motors and can do most anything you ask of him.

http://advrider.com/index.php?members/mcma111.64157/

Another member lives in Hockley, Texas and seems just as competent.

http://advrider.com/index.php?members/fritzcoinc.90045/

Frits creates a full engagement front sprockets and it works really nice. I regeared my XRL to 14/48. While it didn't do much for the gap between 1st and 2nd, it did make 2nd more useful in low speed stuff.

Rich , Who did your dyno tune?

Mitch , yes I'm over on ADV also. When time for sprockets he is on my list . I am running the 14T and will switch to the 48T next time . Steve does know XRs and I am thinking of shipping it to the west coast for his magic .

Last edited:
Inspect the sprocket splines on the output shaft very carefully. I would find it very hard to believe the splines are not worn on a bike with 44K. The shaft is about $110. Use only XR650R front sprockets or Fritz's sprockets, not XRL sprockets. The XRL sprockets are too narrow and do not engage enough of the spline surface causing premature wear.

I agree with TrailBoss, do the second gear mod but not the fifth. If you wade through the entire ADV XRL thread, you'll see that there have been way too many failures with "Hot Cams" brand camshafts. They seem to be ok for DRZs, but not XRLs.

All wise words . I can't believe it's made it 44k but mcma111 ( Steve's ) words were " Keep up with oil and air filters and ride on .

Rich , Who did your dyno tune?

Billy Wiese. Billy is near Florence, TX and has a dyno in his shop. 512-470-0442. His prices are very reasonable and he will ensure your bike is jetted correctly.

He can also do anything else you want done to the XRL such as the gear swap, big bore kit, countershaft replacement, or suspension upgrades.

Back