• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gas charged forks - vintage

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
I need to replace the fork seals on an 82 CB750F SS.

It has a Schrader valve and cross-over, equalizing tube and according to the book, I must relieve that pressure prior to removing the drain plug or fork caps. It is currently hold pressure.

My question is ... can I use shop air or should I use nitrogen?

I have a separator and drier used for painting on a leg of my shop air. Would that be sufficient? I doubt nitrogen fills were abundant in the early 80s so my guess is yes.

I do have a regulator and rigging to hook up to a nitrogen bottle ... just no bottle.

'86 Wing has air forks and uses a built in compressor with a drier. Manual warns on the models without built in air to use a hand pump to avoid over pressure conditions. Air range is 0 to 12 psi. Not sure if yours would have the same range or not? Hope this is useful.

I need to replace the fork seals on an 82 CB750F SS.

It has a Schrader valve and cross-over, equalizing tube and according to the book, I must relieve that pressure prior to removing the drain plug or fork caps. It is currently hold pressure.

My question is ... can I use shop air or should I use nitrogen?

I have a separator and drier used for painting on a leg of my shop air. Would that be sufficient? I doubt nitrogen fills were abundant in the early 80s so my guess is yes.

I do have a regulator and rigging to hook up to a nitrogen bottle ... just no bottle.

Dry oil free shop air is fine

I use nitrogen for this kind of thing simply because I have it and I know it’s dry and oil free

Last edited:
I would go through a bottle about once every 6 months while racing.
Ran air guns, purged air in tires after seating, set pressures ...

A single bottle would probably last years, now.

Thanks for the head's up, Mike.
I need to double check my regulator rig and see how low it will go.

As I recall, when I owned my CB750, the forks only run a max of 10psi (it is just trying to create a slightly stiffer fork spring by giving a bit of extra compression), we used to use a small bicycle hand pump to pressurize them. There is very little pressure in there, strongly recommend using a hand pump not a compressor its a small volume of gas..

Gary

Last edited:
Good point, Gary.

Small volume and tiny pressure.

I think I still have one of those 15psi gauges that came with a Zuke GS I once owned.

I got some CO2 and some 78% nitrogen. That is pretty close. Plus do you really think the handling will significantly change? Hee Hee.

No. But moisture in a bike that mostly sits can make a difference

No. But moisture in a bike that mostly sits can make a difference
And thats why I would use pressure regulated dry shop air or nitrogen over a hand pump. moisture

PLUS, a shock charging dry nitrogen set up is made to charge low volume chambers and has a zero loss pin valve.. Using a regular air chuck.... what you see on the gauge is not what is inside the fork after you remove the chuck.

Back