TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
sanderjavant

Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/24/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TARA/SA

*Update 1/22/17 - Date change to the 4th weekend, 2/24 & 25th, I was notified the morning after I posted this ride of a work event on the 17th.

A Texas Adventure Riders Association
San Antonio Chapter Event

Come to breakfast, meet and talk with other like minded individuals. Some will also go for a ride afterward, others ride home, get that bike out of your garage and join us for either or both.

Interested in a 2 day overnight ride starting after breakfast? See the ride plan and information below.

Los Dos Amigos Restaurant
322 FM 480
Center Point, TX 78010
Google map

Post Breakfast Ride Information

If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see the optional route map below. Groups usually take off around 10am. The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

The post Adventure Breakfast rides are all about fun, camaraderie and being safe. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time then break off and head home.

A group size of 4 - 6 ride is optimal, with about a maximum of 8, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible.

2 day overnight ride information, ride up to Menard on Saturday and back to Bandera on Sunday. As you can read HERE I started this ride last year but didn't finish, I'm ready to try again, on an adjusted Saturday route up.

Rain date information will be posted on the Thursday before the ride if necessary. Update - *2/21/18 the ride is on as scheduled

Can't make the start in Center Point? Ride your own route from wherever you are to Menard for Adventure Rider fellowship.

Route information
*Disclaimer - I build the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and Furkot's mapping program. So the route may not be 100% accurate. Legal status and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass.

Saturday, Center Point to Menard The first half of the route is different from the the 2017 route.

Sunday, Menard to Bandera

For overnight tow vehicle parking I've had good luck with RV parks in the past. Usually they let you park a vehicle for a small fee per day with advance notice, you might try RV Park USA 108 Blue Rdg, Comfort, TX 78013 Phone: 830-995-2900

Overnight in Menard information
Motel
Hilltop Motel

Camping
Menard County RV Park
Full Hook-up RV Park nestled among mature pecan trees beside the San Saba River. We offer multiple types of hook-up sites, camping, fishing, pitch a tent right beside the river! We have male/female designated bathrooms and showers available on site!

Dinner note cash only, no credit cards.
Ojeda's Cafe

Breakfast
Menard Donuts

For those that join my group
When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch, I have several nature break stops and a stop midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every non-obvious corner and wait for the entire group and make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, we won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as the rider in front takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost. However please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Safety and rider etiquette
Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, Zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency Phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

2018 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE

Last edited by sanderjavant; 02-25-2018 at 07:04 PM.
sanderjavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
grimsweeper

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/17/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TAR

Rode the whole route last year on the f800gs, not sure I want to ride day 2 on the 1200-the creek crossings near Barksdale (Cedar creek?) were a challenge on the 800...maybe 50 yards wide, water a foot deep, gravel. (At least no green concrete!)
Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/17/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TAR

I guess I have to make this one so I can open gates and pick up Roger's 1200 if it goes down.

Just kidding Roger. See y'all then.

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
JT
Forum Supporter

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/24/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TAR

SAB and I are hoping to join in for the 2-day route. We will camp at menardcountyrvpark.com.
2006 DL1000
2001 XR650R tagged
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
webnel

Re: Adventure Rider Breakfast Series - 2/24/18 - Center Point + 2 day ride option-TAR

Got my eye on this one.
'08 Honda CRF450X (sold)
'07 Honda XR650L - (sold)
'13 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (sold)
'12 Ducati Monster 796 (sold)
webnel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #6
Rgvwheeler

This looks like fun. Not sure I'll do both days but at least the first day.
Rgvwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Gourdhead

Putting this on my calendar with a capital T "Tentative" next to it. Is there a place to leave a vehicle at the start location?
Gourdhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
_RG_

This is a fun Hill Country ride and the RV place in Menard is great for tent camping. The leg up from Bandera was an all day ride for us so expect to start early be on the gas all day to finish the entire route (yes, road 4 into Menard really does go through but a little technical).
Old 01-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
sanderjavant

RG, did you leave a vehicle at an RV park in or around Comfort for a ride out of Center Point one time?

If so which RV park?

Last edited by sanderjavant; 01-23-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourdhead View Post
Putting this on my calendar with a capital T "Tentative" next to it. Is there a place to leave a vehicle at the start location?
This is my thinking. May pick up a 8x5 cargo trailer (use as a camper). This way I can save hotel costs getting and staying in the hill country before and after the ride.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #11
sanderjavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourdhead View Post
Below is what I sent RG for a ride last May. Not sure if it's the place he left his truck or not.

I've also left a vehicle at the RV park in Junction when I was meeting up on a New Mexico ride. I was charged one time but not the other, both times I made arrangements in advance.

RG,

For overnight tow vehicle parking I've had good luck with RV parks in the past. Usually they let you park a vehicle for a small fee per day with advance notice, you might try RV Park USA 108 Blue Rdg, Comfort, TX 78013 http://www.rvparkusa.com/ Phone: 830-995-2900

Old 01-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderjavant View Post
RG, did you leave a vehicle at an RV park in or around Comfort for a ride out of Center Point one time?

If so which RV park?
I've left the truck over-night at a couple of places and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

RV Park USA

and at the Backyard Bistro restaurant.

Bandera Lodge
Old 01-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderjavant View Post
*Update 1/22/17 - Date change to the 4th weekend, 2/24 & 25th,

Good deal Sander. The wifey was giving me some flack last night, complaining that it was Valentine's day weekend and wanted to hang with me. I told her that we have two DRs.....

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #14
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mud Taco View Post
Good deal Sander. The wifey was giving me some flack last night, complaining that it was Valentine's day weekend and wanted to hang with me. I told her that we have two DRs.....

I stayed at that Kerrville-Schreiner Park Kerrville. Good place to camp probably would have to pay full price to park But I think I will probably stay before and after the ride here since I live so far from the ride event.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads

Last edited by StromXTc; 01-25-2018 at 06:35 PM.
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
TGTUMBLEWEED

i'm watching this
TGTUMBLEWEED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #16
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mud Taco View Post
Yeah, I'd like to meet her too.

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #17
jackh1466

I hope I can make this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jackh1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
hambone334

Me and Mississippi Texan will be there. Did first half last year, want to do both days. Plan on going up Friday and riding around till dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hambone334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #19
jwaller

There's a Ural rally at Inks Lake that weekend and I've committed to that one, so I'm out. I probably need to ride my Ural with some slower guys anyway to cut down on the carnage that seems to have been surrounding me lately.
2009 KLR650 (stolen )
1998 KLR650 (killed by Hurricane Ike )
1994 EX500 (sold)

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
jwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #20
mark96

I'd like to ride this if possible. Coming from Winnipeg Canada