TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Irishcoffee

AR D/S this spring

Anyone heading that way? Organized or non or rides.
Irishcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Re: AR D/S this spring

Always a possible, but my d/s is only good for 2 track, not real offroad. Not sure what you're looking for.
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
oldmxer

I think I saw the listing somewhere, do you have a link? I just got a Honda AT I'd like to take. But i'd be leaving from the SA/ Austin area.
I have ridden a several AR dual sports on my 450's over the years, and they usually have it set up for both types, 2 track, then single track and bypasses.
2014 KTM 300 plated but not really much of a "dual sport"
oldmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Irishcoffee

Most any plated D/S with knobbies will do just about everything I have seen. I am speaking of casual single track to dirt roads. Saving the misery for enduros and H/S. Would like to see the property Wilderness Rider(Donny) has up in N AR, sure looks nice. Is he the one or am I confused? As far as I'm concerned anywhere in the western half of AR has D/S potential. Further north you go the better, Mena-Hot Springs up. I'm used to traveling alone and can meet anywhere, no one else in my area. Really prefer riding during the week as opposed to weekends. Adv bikes are not preferred but that can depends on the rider, I will be on an XR4.

Last edited by Irishcoffee; 02-04-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcoffee View Post
Most any plated D/S with knobbies will do just about everything I have seen. I am speaking of casual single track to dirt roads. Saving the misery for enduros and H/S. Would like to see the property Wilderness Rider(Donny) has up in N AR, sure looks nice. Is he the one or am I confused? As far as I'm concerned anywhere in the western half of AR has D/S potential. Further north you go the better, Mena-Hot Springs up. I'm used to traveling alone and can meet anywhere, no one else in my area. Really prefer riding during the week as opposed to weekends. Adv bikes are not preferred but that can depends on the rider, I will be on an XR4.
Leaves me out, all have is an adventure bike! Arkansas single track would get me in trouble.
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
Old 02-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
oldmxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
Leaves me out, all have is an adventure bike! Arkansas single track would get me in trouble.
A friend rode his 950 KTM up the years ago at one of the "Fall Color Tours"
he did it just to prove it could be done.
But he owns a KTM shop and replaced all the bodywork afterwards. Then sold it as "used" of course.

IE: I can't afford single track on my "new to me" Africa Twin. If i took it, it would be 2 track only.

There are a couple dual sport rides I saw listed somewhere around that time frame though.

But Irishcoffee, let me know when you might be heading that way, I'd be interested if it works out with my schedule. I am old and slower than I used to be, but I can take care of myself most of the time.
2014 KTM 300 plated but not really much of a "dual sport"
oldmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

oldmxer, I could do most of what's needed but not going to trash the bike to prove it! lol Plus just listed it for sale it hasn't had abuse and not starting now! Like you on the twin I'd be up for most 2 track. Hopefully the bike will sell before then anyway.
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
Old 02-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
_RG_

Looking at dates for the end of March. Ride around the Oark area and snag a bit of Reagan's blueberry pie at every chance. Some of the trails are 100% little bike runs even when dry. Camping at one of the local parks. A dirt worthy KLR can survive but might be an unpleasant handful.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Irishcoffee

PIE!!!! I'm in! I made the fall color tour two times and that is typical. There was always a hard/easy split but even the hard stuff was no real challenge. I'm not talking CO single track or Brock Creek. I'm thinking the easiest route is just one of the organized D/S events. Several really nice ones. Also the western half of the AR TAT is an excellent 2-3 day ride.

Last edited by Irishcoffee; 02-04-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
TxTimMo

I found this somewhere- it looks interesting. from www.arkansas500.com

(early April vs. late March)

The Arkansas 500 is a Dual-Sport Motorcycle ride (not race) that spans three days and travels over 500 miles of back roads in the Natural State. Arkansas offers the most diverse sites and experiences for dual-sport riders in the Midwest, including beautiful wooded forest, large hill climbs, incredible water crossings and more back roads that can be ridden in 10 years! Get on your bike and ride the 7th Annual Arkansas 500 April 6-8, 2018, with like-minded people out for a great weekend.
TxTimMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
Irishcoffee

Yep. Probably what I'll do if I still have my bike. Takes all the logistical stuff out of the planning. Just show up and ride.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcoffee View Post
... Just show up and ride.
Don't forget to pay before showing up. $175 ouch! But some of the money goes to charity.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
_RG_

I've never made that ride but several folks on here have. They all speak highly of it. Mostly dirt roads from the reports. That time of year you can't go wrong in Arkansas.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #14
William Wolfen

Looks like they plan on publicly posting the routes and tracks. You could always grab them and ride them some other time.

Donny's place is nice. There's everything from jeep accessible two track yup single track to fields without tracks. Be prepared for rocks and mud though.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
FJRMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTimMo View Post

The Arkansas 500 is a Dual-Sport Motorcycle ride (not race) that spans three days and travels over 500 miles of back roads in the Natural State. Arkansas offers the most diverse sites and experiences for dual-sport riders in the Midwest, including beautiful wooded forest, large hill climbs, incredible water crossings and more back roads that can be ridden in 10 years! Get on your bike and ride the 7th Annual Arkansas 500 April 6-8, 2018, with like-minded people out for a great weekend.
I live about 45 miles east of Eureka Springs and have ridden the Arkansas 500 with Scotty as a ride leader the last couple of years. I guarantee you WILL enjoy the best riding in NW Ark during the three days.
Its mostly primitive dirt/gravel county roads and dirt forest service roads... Awesome scenery and a fun time for a good cause, which is to take care of the big cats at the Turpentine Creek refuge!

Also check out the Hillbilly Dual Sport ride out of Marble Falls that is two weeks later, which I organize, and SLAP which is in mid May.

All of these events can be found in the RALLYS forum at www.advrider.com

Here is an example of the riding in this area

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I wanna ride....

Last edited by FJRMike; 02-08-2018 at 07:58 PM.
FJRMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #16
FJRMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wolfen View Post
Looks like they plan on publicly posting the routes and tracks. You could always grab them and ride them some other time.

Donny's place is nice. There's everything from jeep accessible two track yup single track to fields without tracks. Be prepared for rocks and mud though.
There is plenty of great riding in the area around Donnies place too.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I wanna ride....
Old 02-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
FJRMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTimMo View Post

Just FYI - the registration for Arkansas 500 closed this morning due to a full rider list!! Check out the Hillbilly Dual Sport and SLAP rallies that are after the Ark 500..

You guys don't have to have a single track ready bike to come up here and ride. Any dual sport bike with something better than street tires can be ridden up here on the thousands of miles of primitive dirt and gravel county roads and forest service roads without a problem... And you will have great riding and scenery!!

I wanna ride....
Old 02-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
Mouthfulloflake

For those wanting tracks and gps routes.

check this thread

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...p-trax.660955/

also in MAY check our SLAP
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...rk-ar.1273044/
Mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #19
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Rob (Woodsguy),

Your 800 GS would be perfect for most stuff in NW Arkansas unless you start trying to do single track. There are some two track "roads" and ATV trails that can get a bit rough. However, there are endless miles of absolutely fantastic stuff for you to do on your GS.

Donny's place is private, so non plated bikes are fine. You could ride most all of his two track stuff in a day without much trouble, but I would not do it on your GS. Your 450 would be perfect and you'd like it. However, there are some cliff side overlooks you might not enjoy You have to get off the bike to get to them though. I did a ride report here with tons of pics.

Mid April trip with the whole family
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113929

I went back with Daniel on Memorial Day weekend, but never got around to doing a report. We had a blast! One BIG difference though between mid April and the end of the May, the grass in the pastures in April was maybe 12-18" tall. In may it was over the handle bars of my KTM 530!! That only really matters if you try to ride off across the pastures like we were doing.

Donny's place is right smack in the middle of tons of great dirt road and street riding. You could easily take both bikes and spend 3-4 days of riding in that area and still have a lot you haven't touched. There is only primitive camping at Donny's place. There is no water. The nearest hotel to Donny will be in Huntsville on AR 74 and US 412, about 20-25 minutes away. It is the only place in town, is about $50/night, with basic clean rooms. We spent one night there on our April trip. Granny's Kitchen is just around the corner and has superb breakfasts! There are also cabins/camping near Ponca where AR 43/74 split, just NE of Donny's place. The next nearest town of any decent size with numerous hotels would be Clarksville on I-40 and AR 21. I have stayed there multiple times as a base for street and dualsport rides.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #20
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

You guys need to come back up this spring Scott. We just opened up a bunch of new log roads with the dozer, and cleaned up some of the existing ones so that most 4x4 vehicles could navigate them. Put in camp site clearings at the Beech Creek swimming hole, and several other new locations too. Next we are starting in on a whole bunch of new single track routes... Some of which are going to be pro rider only level, others are easy to moderate, and of course plenty of moderately difficult for all of us riders who are somewhat accomplished. Lots of new routes and loops since you all were here last. I finally got a well put in. So there is water available at the ranch house now, and a nice new 2 stall primitive privy at the parking area. Change may be slow, but it is also inevitable...watch us grow!
2016 Africa Twin CRF-1000
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
wildernessrider is offline   Reply With Quote