TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Racing the Baja 1000

After much discussion and debate, JT and I have decided to race the 2018 Baja 1000 in November of this year. We are still deciding between the Pro Moto 50 (50 and over) class or the Sportsman class.

We will be racing my KTM 500EXC. It needs additional lights for night riding. Aside from that, I believe it is ready to go. (I have already removed all the "adventure" stuff on the bike.)

Our physical training has already begun. (That's not me or JT but that's what we look like when we are lifting weights. In Big Bend. Really. Except for the red socks. And the man bun. We don't have enough hair for man buns.)

This is what I look like when I'm in race mode (Truthfully, that photo was taken a long time ago when I was still racing motocross).

JT is a lot faster rider than me. This is what he would look like racing motocross...if he raced motocross.

Any advice is welcome.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 02-09-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Trail Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
one Wolf

Re: Racing the Baja 1000

Best of luck! Call your insurance agent.

2016 GSX-S 1000FA... purple cap

2014 BMW R 1200 GS... purple cap

'07 FJR1300, purple cap...Gone

'08 Silver DL1000, purple cap...Gone

'I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride my motorcy.....cle'
one Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by one Wolf View Post
Call your insurance agent.
I have insurance on the bike..

...that's what you meant, right?

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

www.texasadventure.net
Old 02-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

"I mean anyone can trail ride the thing for a 1000 miles, but to be competitive in doing it is whole different deal" -Scott Dunlavey
Dust to Glory

I took that to heart when I heard it many years ago, and decided I agreed..
I have trail ridden it, but never raced it..

Best of luck to you
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I expect you to capture it all in gory detail in pics and on video so you can share it here

Invest in Ibuprofen.

Start a GoFundMe campaign.

Update your will...

I look forward to it!

Do you already have a support team?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

Kick some ***, you two! Good for y'all.

I like the idea of getting Ibuprofen as a sponsor.

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
TossingLead
Forum Supporter

I'm in for the support team if you'll have me.

05 Tiger.............................................73 CB550Four Long Gone
03 KLX400..........................................08 KLR650 Traded In
15 YZ250FX Tagged.............................71 SUZUKI TS125 Gone
82 GL1100I Naked Build Report...............05 DR200SE Sold
71 CB750 Hardtail Chopper Project PIX.... 96 Shadow ACE 1100 Turquoise/Black Sold
75 GL1000 next up to put on the Road.... 00 Savage (wife's) Sold

Last edited by TossingLead; 02-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.
TossingLead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
Vinny
Forum Supporter

You got to quit smoking that stuff Rich. It's getting out of hand
'74 BMW R60 (For Sale: $4500)
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:53 AM   #9
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Need more than 2 riders, lol.
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:12 AM   #10
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TossingLead View Post
I'm in for the support team if you'll have me.
Thank you for the offer - that is very kind of you and JT and I both appreciate it. We tentatively have our support team in place but if things change we will let you know.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 02-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #11
sandman

Logging tons of hours at the local mx track seems like it would be some of the best training. Congrats on the endeavor!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Richard / JT:

What oil will you be using?

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #13
ed29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
Richard / JT:

What oil will you be using?

More importantly, what tires will you be running?

Life is short... Ride it hard.
ed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #14
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Logging tons of hours at the local mx track seems like it would be some of the best training. Congrats on the endeavor!
We have been discussing that very thing. In addition to riding for extended periods on mx tracks we also plan to do lots of riding at places at Hidden Falls and CTOR. I can't think of anything better for training to ride for extended time/distances than by riding for extended time/distances in conditions with similar physical demands.

I have the bike loaded in my truck now and will be leaving shortly for Murphy's MX.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

JT’s training regimen is a bit different- we are leaving shortly for pancakes and bacon.

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #16
jetdr21

Best of luck you two. This might just be what finally draws me down to Baja, it`s been on my bucket list since before the bucket list was thought up.. I would be up to help support also..
jetdr21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #17
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

How will you be navigating . Those rallies seem 1/2 physical as well as being smart enough without becoming endlessly lost . Hats off to you guys ! Will you have to mount up one of those roadbook tower thingys?
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads

Last edited by StromXTc; 02-10-2018 at 10:32 AM.
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #18
waldo

Richard and JT, You two are amazing and I wish you the BEST. Am sure you will have those FUNMETERs pegged. ..W Bob
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #19
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Marquez View Post
"I mean anyone can trail ride the thing for a 1000 miles, but to be competitive in doing it is whole different deal" -Scott Dunlavey
Dust to Glory
...and if you're not really racing it any other week of the year would be 1,000 times more enjoyable and safer to ride it. Not to mention avoiding the traffic, crowds, no vacancies and jacked up prices.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #20
MacDaddy

Wow! That’s awesome you two! Talk about jumping into the deep end.

You asked for advice so I’ll throw out some random thoughts.

Stickers, stickers, stickers and more motorcycle stickers. They’re the Bit coin of Baja. Everyone loves them and you’re the hero when passing them out. I was at a military checkpoint just north of La Paz with an orange sitting in the drink holder next to the dash, next to me, that I had forgotten about. They asked if we had any fruit, etc. etc. I forgot about the orange sitting in plain sight and said no. No problems though, they were happy to keep us moving down the road for just a few stickers.

Is this a point to point (Ensenada to La Paz) year or the northern half of Baja year? The northern half races are shorter but are more of beating per mile due to the north half being used much more often (Baja 500, San Felipe 250) The advantage to the northern half races is that it’s easier to hook up with your crew from time to time. The southern half is smoother but they have open ranges and contain non-reflective cattle.

Speaking of crews, how are you doing your pitting? Did you contract with someone? You need a lot of resources to pit yourselves. Back in the day, Honda charged about a buck a mile (race distance) for their services. This covers gas, two or three mandatory air filter changes, an emergency wheel (not because yours looks bad or is flat but because it’s square now) which you will pay them back for later. Leave a spare rear wheel assembly (tire change) for the pit crew near the halfway point and your lights with another pit crew where you expect to be at a little before dark. A Bib Mousse in the front at a minimum and better if you have one in the rear too. Good luck installing them, if you do it like me; you’re in for a work out.

The day before the race is Contingency Row. It’s quite festive, much like a parade that you pass through. Wear only stuff you can throw away the next morning because won’t pack it along during the race. And you’ll likely be alone from about midday on because your crew had to leave to get down to the rider change location a few hundred miles away.

Be prepared for dust, dust and more dust. Obviously the worst is in the beginning of the race before everything thins out. Put baby oil on the foam portions of your goggles so they will act like an air filter for your eyes. Know where you’re pits are. I repeat, know where you’re pits are. Mile markers used to be placed every ten miles. I predict you will get a sinking feeling in your stomach if the first mile marker sign you see (remember that dust thing) says 80 miles and you suddenly remember pit #1 was supposed to be at 60 miles.

Motocross has whoop sections. Baja has in places, miles and miles of whoops. Practice leaning against a wall in a seated position and see how long you can do this. Than do this again and again for the next 10 months.
Baja also has silt beds; there is no practice for this. Never go less than full throttle until you get out of it. If it’s a northern race only there are less of these.

It’s a very long race. Pace yourselves.

Remember you are not on a closed course. They try to stop traffic at intersections but it’s everywhere. You two know how driving in Mexico can be. It’s ten times worse during the race. If you want practice, I recommend going to downtown Austin during rush hour and ride into opposing traffic. Seriously, the worst is leaving Ensenada at the start of the race during their rush hour. A large portion is two lanes going out and two lanes coming in, divided only by a center stripe. Right as you first leave the pavement onto the dirt is where Team Kawasaki rider Danny Hamel died when a vehicle pulled in front of him. I think Danny was doing about a 100 mph at the time.

Bored locals, standing in the middle of nowhere want to see action. It’s not unusual for them to make booby traps during the race. This usually consists of building a jump on the course. Since they’re not building a jump for them to ride over they don’t concern themselves with some of the finer points of jump building. Like a longer ramp so the takeoff is less abrupt. Remember that dirt had to come from somewhere. Most locals are kind hearted enough and put the jump in front of the hole they just dug.

If it looks like a major league stadium is catching you, it just the lights from a Trophy Truck. I recommend you move over quickly.

It can be more dangerous for the crews chasing the race on the roads than for the actual racers. To steal a line from professional wrestling, “It’s pandemonium out there!” And it’s not just the roads, someone could be driving the wrong way on the course too.

I know you plan on racing class 50 but there’s something to be said for riding in the open class. You may start almost an hour later than them and that’s a lot of daylight in the desert to give up.

I hope you get to do some pre-riding. There’s no way you can remember your whole portion of the race but you get an idea of what to expect. And, and it’s so darn much fun!!! Maybe more fun than the race.

Carrying an extra pre-oiled air filter in a zip-lock baggie inside your fanny pack isn’t the worst idea. They may however deform a little bit if you land on your back from going over the bars.

Having some type of light on your person is good. I’ve seen them taped to the side of a helmet for example. Good for pre-riding at night and looking at a map for example. Also, should you crash on a moonless night during the race and kill your motor; you can use it to find your bike again.

The proper radios can be very useful.

You’re likely to see famous desert racers anywhere. Perhaps at the next table eating breakfast, standing in a line, stopped on the side of the course while pre-riding or asking if you if you need any help, etc.

If you want to know what it feels like to be Johnny Campbell, Eli Tomac, or Jason Anderson at the end of the race, I recommend wearing your old riding gear. After crossing the finish line throw those old gloves, chest protector or jersey to some kids. Instant celebrity!

This is a lifetime experience about to happen. It’s awesome, enjoy every minute guys, I’m jealous.

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that)

Last edited by MacDaddy; 02-10-2018 at 01:16 PM.
MacDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote