• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Simplifying- maybe sell Nikon/Nikkors for one body?

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
The truth is, I've barely used my 2 Nikon body and 4 Nikkor lens system in months. I use my phone camera for most all my photos nowadays. Two reasons: the dslrs and lenses are heavy and bulky, and the phone allows me instant upload to FB or web forums.

So, I'm considering selling the Nikon system and buy one fixed lens body like the Fuji X100. One small body, one fixed lens, simple, light, the feature to transfer photos to internet through my phone. A small camera would be easier to carry on the motorcycle.

What do y'all think? Something I will regret later?

I have the Leica D-Lux (M109), very similar to the Fuji X100, as well as a Canon full-frame. 90% of the time I could be very happy with the Leica. The other 10% involves different lenses, lighting options or ultimate image size. I use the Leica frequently when I attend family events, or other events where I'd rather participate rather than document. It isn't much larger than a cell phone and greatly expands my options while offering far superior pictures and more options than my iPhone 6.

I almost exclusively use my Panasonic Lumix PnS for personal stuff. The DSLR just comes out on paid gigs 95% of the time. PM me if you decide to sell some of your Nikon stuff. I just bought 2 Godox ITTL flashes with the transmitters inside. I just got to figure out the settings now to make one control the other :doh: (yes I read the manual).

Just an FYI on my Nikon system.

1-D7000 body, 1-D90 body w/Nikon grip, 12-24 4.0 Nikkor afs, 50 1.8 Nikkor afd, 80-200 2.8 zoom Nikkor afd, 105 4.0 micro-nikkor ai (manual focus). SB600 & SB400 flash. Extension tube for 105, right angle viewfinder attachment.

Larry, I am a Nikon photographer with many thousands invested in Nikon bodies and lenses. When I travel I only take my x100t, which I completely love! The thing is, every once in a while I do want the 36 megapixels of my D800 and I want the f/1.4 of the 85mm lens, because that's the only way I can get certain portraits. So I didn't sell any of the Nikon gear because every once in a while I need it for certain images. If you need the money to fund other purchases, and the new equipment will cover 90% of your needs, I'd say go for it and sell it. For me, having the Nikon equipment for certain shoots is indispensable...so I can't sell it.

Last edited:
Just an FYI on my Nikon system.

1-D7000 body, 1-D90 body w/Nikon grip, 12-24 4.0 Nikkor afs, 50 1.8 Nikkor afd, 80-200 2.8 zoom Nikkor afd, 105 4.0 micro-nikkor ai (manual focus). SB600 & SB400 flash. Extension tube for 105, right angle viewfinder attachment.

:tab That is a really nice set of lenses. Even though "dated" by some folks standards, both of those bodies have been extremely popular and are very capable. That 80-200 is a tank and built to last. I used one for a shoot and it does very well! I have the 50 and really like it. I've never messed with the 12-24 or the 105. Like the bodies, even though old by digital standards, the SB 600 is still a workhorse flash for many pro photographers. That would make a great package for someone wanting to get into DSLR photography.

:tab All that said, given current used prices, it would be hard to get enough for all that to make me want to sell it. Like Texxter said, when you DO need it, the little camera likely won't get it done.

:tab If you do decide to sell, I know someone that might be interested in the SB600. If I hadn't already bought a 70-200 2.8, I'd be all over that 80-200! The same person might be interested in that lens as well. PM me what you'd be willing to sell the SB-600 flash and 80-200 lens for if you are willing to part out the package and I'll pass on the info.

Holler, if you do decide to sell. I've been thinking of buying the 50mm 1.8

Thanks everyone. Good advice. I'm gonna keep everything right now; I'm just afraid I will need it at some time and won't have it. I just hate to see it all go unused. The last trip I took, I carried the whole system plus laptop, and never used any of it. Only used my phone camera.

I was just wanting simple and light. Like my first Nikon FM with a 35mm & 85mm lenses. Small, easy to carry and simple to operate.

My Fuji underwater camera has a feature I love, where I wirelessly transfer the image from camera to phone then upload. No computer. The Fuji X100 has that. Plus a fixed slight wide angle.

Maybe I'll just try to get a Nikkor 24 2.8 (35mm on DX) and carry one lens/one body.

I still carry an OLD (digitally speaking) Canon SD600 for my trips. Only takes a 2GB SD card, which is almost impossible to find now. It has a metal case and is only a 6 Mpix, but it takes great outdoor scenery shoots, is very rugged, and is small. I thought about buying another, but they are still pretty expensive relative to much newer cameras, even used. I have a trip coming up in Sept and I will be taking my D750 with the 24-70 2.8 lens. It will be the first trip with the DSLR, so it is an experiment of sorts. The downside is having to remove my helmet and gloves to get a shot, and also having to dismount to get the camera out of the tail bag. No quick stop and shoot. I might try to find a tank bag for it before I leave. I bought my daughter a refurbed Nikon S7000 for the trip so she can do her own thing. Doesn't look as rugged as my SD600, but it takes very nice pics and is easy for her to use. It has the wireless feature that lets you connect to a phone or other smart device. I've not messed with it yet though.

I've decided to part with some of my Nikon system, but going to keep some of it. As I said before, I want to simplify and I can use the cash.

In the next few days I'll post up details and photos in the FS section,
my D90 with Nikon grip,
12-24 4.0 AFS,
80-200 2.8 AFD
and SB-600 flash.

I'm keeping the D7000, 50 1.8 & 105 micro.

Please PM me what price you'd like for the 80-200 and the SB600.

Have you thought about adding a wireless SD card to the mix? I haven't used one, but have considered it. Not that it's hard to pop out/in camera/PC, but it's just one more step in the process.

I simplified. Sold the D90, 12-24 & 80-200. Thank you TWT.

I'm down to D7000, 24 2,.8, 50 1.8 & 104 4.0 micro-nikkor.

Maybe this will energize my photography by making it easier to carry and simplify the decision making.

The multiple lens thing with DSLRs is frustrating. I was shooting at Bryce Canyon last week and was constantly swapping between the 24-70 and the 70-200 since I only had one body. Even just that one body and two lenses was a lot to carry. Swapping was a bit of a hassle since it was hard to hold everything and keep dirt from blowing into the camera or the open end of the lenses. They do get good pics though!

When I worked for the newspaper, I gladly carried two bodies one with a wide-normal zoom and other with a tele zoom. It was heavy but I had the right lens at my ready all the time. But since I shoot just for fun now I didnt want to burden myself with all the weight.

I gave alot of thought to what is the bare minimum for me and decided on a a slight wide, a slight tele and a little longer tele.

Time will tell if Im happy with my decision.

Have you thought about adding a wireless SD card to the mix? I haven't used one, but have considered it. Not that it's hard to pop out/in camera/PC, but it's just one more step in the process.

I missed this info first time around about a wireless SD card. I just happened to learn about it and I think this might be my "missing piece" in my system.

I just bought an EyeFi Mobi wireless card for my D7000. I set the camera to shoot RAW and JPG; RAW to the regular SD card and Basic JPG to the Mobi. I can then send the Jpg wirelessly to my phone then upload to Facebook without computer or internet access. Then I have the Raw for pics I want to process.

So far Im very pleased with the setup. My photo needs are taken care of with phone cam, Fuji underwater snapshot and Nikon dSLR with 3 lenses.

Do you use an app on the phone to interface with the wireless card?

Yes, there is an App that interfaces with the card. The 8 GB card is about $40 from Amazon.

It took a little while to download the App and then set the camera, but it works fine. The instructions are here: https://mobihelp.eyefi.com/hc/en-us/articles/204942804-Nikon-Settings The only problem is that the App will pick up all the photos you take, cluttering up your phone. So, I'm working on my workflow and "disabling" the card in camera until I edit the photos. Then "enabling" it to transfer.

I've only shot a few pics as test shots, but so far I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Good grief, it would seem like a simple change for the App developer to add a "Select" option for the transfer process :doh: But then, I've never developed and App, so what do I know :shrug:

Back