• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

pie run IV the shed, Edom ride reports

Great ride, picked some roads off of google maps at random and they weren't sporting but were a very nice and scenic for the ride in. Great day on the bike.

2018-04-28%2012.44.57-L.jpg

2018-04-28%2010.35.01-L.jpg

Got the GS out to stretch its legs. State highways and FMs down and back. Good to see everyone again. Not any pics going down cause I left a little late and was in a hurry and only a few going back.

59b7e8d0193c33b6703d0d881543bef9.jpg
304997dc3e90d34c35c8b08f112803c0.jpg
df67ad48a6cf1aa6b8bf7d998871c32b.jpg
0cdfc3f5c57cad043b3c8993539f689f.jpg
59ef76e944b94fdd3e62bbb76f8cd8a6.jpg
2af97ac9530f5edaa2ce41f9b7690380.jpg
43ef6215f243c8ff6990a52d836062ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That was a good time. Thanks for taking in a newbie on this deal.

notyou83, thanks for riding there and back with me.

Cody, Jason, DancesWithCurves, Leon, Mike, Rod, Downs and everyone else's name I've forgotten. Nice to meet y'all. Cody thanks for fielding all of my Africa Twin questions.

20180428_104241.jpg

20180428_115325.jpg

As they say the "best laid plans of mice and men". I must be one of the former? My plan today was to leave the house by 0800, which I actually beat that by 30 minutes and left at 0730. Ride toward Edom. I planned to make a slight detour to Van & Mineola to find a couple geocaches there before arriving at the The Shed for lunch with everyone. Then leaving there take a southern route with a stop in Gun Barrel City for a another geocache I had targeted.

This is the way my ride started, with the "Yellow Beast" raring to go from my house in Burleson.

IMG_1269_zpsaimnt9ry.jpg

This is the way my ride ended at a Valero store at the corner of I-20 & Seagoville Rd in Balch Springs.

IMG_1270_zpsqk8lr1jg.jpg

Nothing too bad! Had a flat on a front tire that I could not fix with my tire plugging kit and little air compressor. Turned out to be a defective valve stem. I was running about 75 mph on the interstate and felt the steering get really heavy. I knew what was happening and slowed and was able to make it off the highway to safe spot. But my ride day was over? Had to call for a tow to D & S Honda/Kawasaki in Arlington. Even with my insurance(Progressive) still had to pay over a $100 for the tow. I think D & S pretty much ripped me charging me almost $200 in labor to replace both valve stem, but what you gonna do? After that is was too late for me to ride east so just went back to Burleson.

I did see these little gems at D&S while waiting:

IMG_1271_zpsfa0igina.jpg

Honda 50

IMG_1272_zpsm6wvbyjz.jpg

Honda S90

IMG_1273_zpshp5l6dbv.jpg

A Honda Mini-Trail 70

IMG_1274_zpsz9u24yz2.jpg

Another little Honda, not sure what it was? Some of you may know?

Anyway, I guess the day wasn't a total loss? Although I missed seeing and being with all of you. Another time!

Last edited:
On the way to The Shed, Jarret was leading and he tried to signal there was something (appeared to be roadkill) on the right side of the road with his foot. The thing then looked at him I believe. (Hopefully he can fill in the details from his side). It then turn and ran about the same time as he was passing it. I thought it was a beaver, but after describing it to my wife, I have come to realize it was actually a nutria. It was pretty big to me either way. Jarret said he thought it might have been one of those as well, but before today, I don't recall hearing about them.

Later on, an airplane came in and landed right as we were passing in a field off the road. It was a small plane, but I have no idea what kind. As we were headed home, we also saw someone parachuting down to the same place the plane landed. It was some kind of air show I guess. Saw a sign with the name of the event, but can't remember it now.

Great day. I look forward to doing something like this again.

Last edited:
My first run and really enjoyed meeting some folks; impossible to meet everyone. Great weather and neat checking out the variety of bikes. I'm marking my calendar for next month.

On the way to The Shed, Jarret was leading and he tried to signal there was something (appeared to be roadkill) on the right side of the road with his foot. The thing then looked at him I believe. (Hopefully he can fill in the details from his side). It then turn and ran about the same time as he was passing it. I thought it was a beaver, but after describing it to my wife, I have come to realize it was actually a nutria. It was pretty big to me either way. Jarret said he thought it might have been one of those as well, but before today, I don't recall hearing about them.

Later on, an airplane came in and landed right as we were passing in a field off the road. It was a small plane, but I have no idea what kind. As we were headed home, we also saw someone parachuting down to the same place the plane landed. It was some kind of air show I guess. Saw a sign with the name of the event, but can't remember it now.

Great day. I look forward to doing something like this again.

It happened just like you said. I thought it was roadkill, then it looked at me and I pulled my foot back! :)

I think it was a Nutria:
Nutria__Myocastor_coypus__in_a_partially_frozen_river_Ljubljanica.0.jpg

We had a good ride taking the scenic twisty route. Ended with a bit over 350 miles for the day. I hope the Shed gets it together. It’s been a favorite lunch stop for years.

It happened just like you said. I thought it was roadkill, then it looked at me and I pulled my foot back! :)

I think it was a Nutria:
Nutria__Myocastor_coypus__in_a_partially_frozen_river_Ljubljanica.0.jpg

Years ago when I was living down near the Texas coast and working in chemical plants we used to see these all the time. Funny story is I had to go on a call-out to plant at 0200. Went to our shop got my tools and was riding a bicycle over to the equipment I had to work on. A nutria crossed my path, I thought it was the biggest "rat" I had ever seen. Almost crashed the bicycle?

Then we used to see them a lot around lakes where we would be bass fishing. I think they like being around water?

What a fantastic day. Thanks to Ouroboros (aka Dave) for blazing the trail. East Texas back roads are the way to go. Next stop Subway. Just over 400 miles for the day. :)

Last edited:
Followin' Rod around some of those fun east Texas roads on the way to the pie run. The lyrics do a good job of describing the relationship I have with my motorcycle (or maybe just ridin' in general).
[ame="https://youtu.be/yidfEwGVrOc"]https://youtu.be/yidfEwGVrOc[/ame]

Followin' Rod around some of those fun east Texas roads on the way to the pie run. The lyrics do a good job of describing the relationship I have with my motorcycle (or maybe just ridin' in general).
https://youtu.be/yidfEwGVrOc
That....evidently...was on some of the smoother CR pavement jus north of Tyler Sat mornin....
Some of the roads we did on Friday wouldve been unwatchable for all the bumpiness.
...which reminds me...as for those paved east Tx county roads... Its patch as patch can ...in some areas

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

That....evidently...was on some of the smoother CR pavement jus north of Tyler Sat mornin....
Some of the roads we did on Friday wouldve been unwatchable for all the bumpiness.
...which reminds me...as for those paved east Tx county roads... Its patch as patch can ...in some areas

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
I got some 'a those too, and you'd be surprised how steady they turned out. You had my suspension system workin' overtime fer sure! Anyway, I have sorry internet so I may post more when I go over to my mother's house in Waco tomorrow.

Then we used to see them a lot around lakes where we would be bass fishing. I think they like being around water?

Yeah, we had them in a pond behind our house growing up.

That's cool. What camera system did you use to do that? I've been thinking of getting one of those bluetooth/camera type thingies.

Sena 10C. It also records any audio you have connected including the helmet speaker. The biggest shortcoming is the camera eats up battery; however you can charge while using it.
Yeah, we had them in a pond behind our house growing up.

That's cool. What camera system did you use to do that? I've been thinking of getting one of those bluetooth/camera type thingies.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

"I think D & S pretty much ripped me charging me almost $200 in labor to replace both valve stem, but what you gonna do?"
I have nothing to do with D&S, but honestly if they had to remove both wheels on your goldwing, remove the tyres, reinstall new valve stems, put the tyres back on, balance and refit the tyres, $200 does not sound to bad to me, most places charge at least $20 a wheel to balance, there was probably an hours labor @ $60 plus parts!! It's maybe a little bit high, but not a rip-off.. Of course I am making assumptions here, so maybe they did less than I assume, but $200 really does not seem that unreasonable to me. Glad you got home okay..

Gary

"I think D & S pretty much ripped me charging me almost $200 in labor to replace both valve stem, but what you gonna do?"
I have nothing to do with D&S, but honestly if they had to remove both wheels on your goldwing, remove the tyres, reinstall new valve stems, put the tyres back on, balance and refit the tyres, $200 does not sound to bad to me, most places charge at least $20 a wheel to balance, there was probably an hours labor @ $60 plus parts!! It's maybe a little bit high, but not a rip-off.. Of course I am making assumptions here, so maybe they did less than I assume, but $200 really does not seem that unreasonable to me. Glad you got home okay..

Gary

They did have to take the tire and wheel off the bike, but not remove tire form wheel just break bead. No re-balance as I had balance beads. I was already considering replacing the angle valve stem with straights so I could add a TPMS system the works off bluetooth technology. I been quoted by a shop here in Burleson to replace both valve stems $90. Should have pulled the trigger then?But I am glad I could get it fixed on a Saturday while I waited and was able to make it home.

Back