• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First Time This Year

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Heading out to the Track in the morning, a little 1.7 mi at MSR. Awful rusty, should be fun, I expect a lot of ibuprofen to be needed in the next week. But, I put a set of Dunlop GPAs on the Gixxer, bled the brakes a bit, removed the mirrors. In the morning, I will go for it. I think it is awesome to be 59 almost 60 and still hitting the track. A little nervous, but I always am. I will do my best to stay upright. Need to get a little knee dragging in as well.

Waiting for Mitchntx and Jimmy the Scab to help bleed the left side, my old arms aren't long enough.

20180518_173112.jpg

Loaded for old fat guys at the racetrack.

20180518_2042361.jpg

So...what exactly are you doing with those barely used tires you pulled off? :D

Glad to see you finally taking it and yourself to the track. Have fun, pop wheelies.

Well, since they are a different set of wheels (you remember I sold them to you and you sold them back) I still have them up in my tire rack. I probably will break the bead and try to re-balance the rear to get some of the 25 lbs of weight off of it. (I know it is only 2.5 oz. or so, but it is a lot. Also, since I have all day, I can fiddle with them a long time.

P.S. You know you have become a 6 bike guy as well. I am giving one away next Friday, so I am already back to 5. I was at 4 but I got some deals. I am still pure Suzook, that is probably a good thing.

A couple of things. First, I had a small Marquez moment on a cold track with a warm tire. That was my first knee down of the day. Later some dude just went over into my line and I was pinned in 2nd on the gixxer, just hit 3rd and over he comes for no reason. Missed him by about 2.5 in. Second session felt really really good. It is coming back to me, been a year. The Gixxer is still awesome, my leathers fit nice and comfy again, new boots were nice. Met a good guy letting me use his garage at the track. Mitchntx stopped by, checked out his new XR650L (2nd one). Then he said I "looked" really fast. So I bought him lunch.

On a brighter note, may be getting the trials bike back in trade for a large bit of motorcycle saving. A wrecked Duc and Ape for starters, A KLR that needs carb work.

IMG_0029.jpg

Only did two sessions. Amazing how much better the track is when you lose 50 pounds or so. And...for the record 5 yr old brand new Dunlop GPAs that were stored correctly worked perfectly. If only I wasn't quite so old, it is still as good as it always was. Not a bad day for a 59 yr. old fat guy.

We need a G-Town Squid Squad day soon. Been too long I think...

IMG_1417.jpg

P.S. I also relearned how much we hold on with our outside leg. I was coming out of the Big Bend turn decided to put my leg out to indicate I was going to exit to the pit. I lifted my right leg a little early and almost fell off in the middle of the turn. Always pay attention at the track. I also actually took a picture of the Gixxer when I was first heating up the tires this morning.

Looks and runs great for a 12 yr old scooter.

20180519_080352.jpg

Hear anything about the guy that went down?

It's always better when you know someone on track.
It's double better to be a pit *****.

Doesn't everyone have two XR650s?

He was up giving me a thumbs up when I went by, so I figured he was ok, just lowside damage. Mitch is a very able and proficient Pit (W)itch. And a pretty good trailer loader.

I thought we were supposed to have 2 DR-Z's and 2 Baby Bandits?

It's expensive keeping up with the Dougs ...

Doug ... you going back today?

Nope it is raining pretty hard, not sure when it will be over. We have some things to do in good old Granbury this afternoon.

It's expensive keeping up with the Dougs ...
I stopped trying!

Good stuff Doug. And yes that 12 year old bike is amazing. Good stuff, glad to see you out and hear about the leathers fitting good, as that's always a good thing.

Gotta laugh though. Almost run off the track and then you also lost the front, but the closest you came to a crash was actually falling off the bike. :rofl:

I would have been very embarrassed and sore. Probably would never live that one down. Goes to show you can't let up while on the racing surface.

Glad to see you still tearing it up around the track!

Hey Mitch, I saw you posting over on sohc. You got some nice bikes! I'm tiretread over there.

Glad to see you still tearing it up around the track!

Hey Mitch, I saw you posting over on sohc. You got some nice bikes! I'm tiretread over there.

Not a lot of traffic ... or maybe it's because they know that I know Doug. :doh:

Hey Russ! Going again Thursday if you make it out here....

Love to but I'm still contracting for the Air Force. I will make it out there to see you new spiffy garage though. Soon!

Mitch,
Yeah, that site is pretty slow but there's lots of good info there. I just picked up a 75 CB750K.

Old Honda's don't work for me, I am still a Suzuki guy. Of course, if the right Honda popped up, I might be interested...there is good in all motorcycles.

I'm still a zuk guy but it just seems that the Hondas and yammis are starting to outnumber them in my garage.

I was really low on Suzukis, and now I have 6 soon to be 5. I am pretty sure you need a DR-Z70 SM....sure you do....I think I am going to pull all the cool stuff off of her and sell her as a stocker and sell the parts separately.

What does that even mean?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1. I said, Hey Russ, you need a DR-Z70.

2. Russ said, "I'm good on bikes....for the moment"

So, to recap, Russ does not need more motorcycles at this time. Even though the n + 1 = number of motorcycles you need, and n = the number of motorcycles you have.:rider:

Back