TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #21
budzrex

Re: Good news from Honda

The way I read it, the bike is designed as a true dual sport. Able to run the roads legally to connect average trails. Not as a true hare scrambles or enduro bike. Not many KTM 500EXCs in competition.

Not as road ready as a KLR or DR or XRL 650 but much more trail friendly. My guess is there will be several options for larger tanks by the time they have stock in showrooms for guys that need the capacity.

I know everyone plans a true get away from it all adventure ride but in all honesty I bet most are ridden within the distance limits of the stock tank out on the trails for a while then either into town for gas or back to the truck for gas.
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #22
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzrex View Post
The way I read it, the bike is designed as a true dual sport. Able to run the roads legally to connect average trails. Not as a true hare scrambles or enduro bike. Not many KTM 500EXCs in competition.

Not as road ready as a KLR or DR or XRL 650 but much more trail friendly. My guess is there will be several options for larger tanks by the time they have stock in showrooms for guys that need the capacity.

I know everyone plans a true get away from it all adventure ride but in all honesty I bet most are ridden within the distance limits of the stock tank out on the trails for a while then either into town for gas or back to the truck for gas.
"I bet most are ridden within the distance limits of the stock tank out on the trails for a while then either into town for gas or back to the truck for gas." True for me!
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #23
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
That 250 looks really nice. I am still a 450 guy for a couple more years probably, but age is a factor for me and a 450 race bike. I was thinking about a 350 next year for a race bike. We will see.

My guess is that Honda will sell a ton of the 250RX models.
Yes, I'm old! But that's not the reason for a 250, unlike your area where a 450 can do it's thing around here I really think the 250 is a better choice for a weapon, not because of my age! lol Just in tight woods and lots of off camber type turns. Of course I prefer my 250 2 stroke over both, just 4 strokes are less hassle with fuel injection(to me).
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #24
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Honda CRF450L

Today Honda announced the CRF450L dual sport motorcycle. It is a 50 state legal, 289 lb (wet weight, full tank of gas, ready to ride), wide ratio 6 speed transmission, modern dual sport motorcycle selling for $10,399. Competition is a good thing so I'm happy to finally see a competitive dual sport bike from one of the Japanese manufacturers.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #25
Crew Chief

Re: Honda CRF450L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Today Honda announced the CRF450L dual sport motorcycle. It is a 50 state legal, 289 lb (wet weight, full tank of gas, ready to ride), wide ratio 6 speed transmission, modern dual sport motorcycle selling for $10,399. Competition is a good thing so I'm happy to finally see a competitive dual sport bike from one of the Japanese manufacturers.
Didn't see this one coming. I was looking for SWM, or Suzuki to fill this space first. I may be looking at Hondas soon. Never had one of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #26
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
I'm more worried about oil capacity than I am fuel capacity. ...it seems that bikes like the KTM 500 have a very small oil capacity limiting it's use for longer runs in the back country. While there's also fixes for that, it'd be nice to see a dedicated dual sport come with capacity in this manner to accommodate rider needs.
I had the same concern about the 500 EXC prior to buying one. After thinking about it I decided to compare it to the oil capacity of other popular dual sport bikes.

Oil Capacity:
CRF450L - 1.8 liters
XR650L - 1.9 liters
DRZ400S - 2 liters
500 EXC - 1.5 liters
701 Enduro - 1.7 liters
TE610 - 2.1 liters
TR650 - 2 liters

All fairly close to each other. The new CRF has more oil capacity than my 701 Enduro. What's interesting to me is the recommended service intervals. The 701 Enduro is 6,200 miles. The oil change interval on the TR650 was 3000 miles. The Honda XR650L is 1000 miles. The DRZ is 3000 miles if my memory is correct. In other words - they all have similar amounts of oil but vastly different oil change recommendations.

Once I figured this out, I decided that since I don't race the 500 and generally use it as an adventure bike (i.e. moderate loads on the engine) that changing the oil every 1000 miles was not unreasonably long.

Then I thought to myself, "How many dual sport trips do I actually do that are longer than 1000 miles?" In all the years I've been dual sport riding, one has been more than 1000 miles.

So, for typical use, the oil range of the 500 is easily within my normal riding habits. If I were planning a trip much more than 1000 miles but less than 2000miles, I would probably just buy some oil in a town along the way and change it in the parking lot of an auto parts store, not worrying about the oil filter until the trip was over. I'm not sure where I would choose the 500 for a ride longer than 2000 miles.

The bottom line is that unless Honda is recommending an extreme oil change interval (something like every 5 hours or after every ride) then 1.8 liters is probably sufficient for typical dual sport riding.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 05-23-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #27
gixxerjasen

Re: Good news from Honda - CRF450L merged

Good stuff trail boss.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #28
Windmill

Quote:
I had the same concern about the 500 EXC prior to buying one. After thinking about it I decided to compare it to the oil capacity of other popular dual sport bikes.

Oil Capacity:
CRF450L - 1.8 liters
XR650L - 1.9 liters
DRZ400S - 2 liters
500 EXC - 1.5 liters
701 Enduro - 1.7 liters
TE610 - 2.1 liters
TR650 - 2 liters

All fairly close to each other. The new CRF has more oil capacity than my 701 Enduro. What's interesting to me is the recommended service intervals. The 701 Enduro is 6,200 miles. The oil change interval on the TR650 was 3000 miles. The Honda XR650L is 1000 miles. The DRZ is 3000 miles if my memory is correct. In other words - they all have similar amounts of oil but vastly different oil change recommendations.

Once I figured this out, I decided that since I don't race the 500 and generally use it as an adventure bike (i.e. moderate loads on the engine) that changing the oil every 1000 miles was not unreasonably long.

Then I thought to myself, "How many dual sport trips do I actually do that are longer than 1000 miles?" In all the years I've been dual sport riding, one has been more than 1000 miles.

So, for typical use, the oil range of the 500 is easily within my normal riding habits. If I were planning a trip much more than 1000 miles but less than 2000miles, I would probably just buy some oil in a town along the way and change it in the parking lot of an auto parts store, not worrying about the oil filter until the trip was over. I'm not sure where I would choose the 500 for a ride longer than 2000 miles.

The bottom line is that unless Honda is recommending an extreme oil change interval (something like every 5 hours or after every ride) then 1.8 liters is probably sufficient for typical dual sport riding.
How much fuel does the 701 use, and in a pinch could it run on low octane. 12:1 on the Honda probably requires 90+ octane. Good looking bike for a youngster. How often on the valve check?? Does it come with a horn
#1 True Love and
#2 Homegrown Tomatoes
Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #29
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill View Post
How much fuel does the 701 use, and in a pinch could it run on low octane. 12:1 on the Honda probably requires 90+ octane.
I consistently get in the low 50s mpg on the 701 when riding in the hill country. My average is about 52 mpg. If I'm riding slow mileage increases to the high 50s. I don't do much sustained highway speeds (70 mph) but when I do the mileage drops into the high 40s.

Interestingly, every fuel injected bike I've owned had, or has, similar gas mileage. 650 Strom, TE610, TR650, and the 500 EXC got, or get, 50+ mpg.

The worst gas mileage was my Honda XR650L. It was a gas guzzler and averaged about 38 mpg.

I'm not sure if the 701 can run low octane gas in a pinch as I haven't fully tried to do so. I have mixed low octane with high octane in Mexico - I topped off my tank with low octane fuel when riding in Mexico once - with no issues. I try to remember to carry a small bottle of octane booster if I know I will be riding in a place where high octane might not be available (i.e. Mexico) but in that case I simply forgot.

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 05-24-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #30
focus frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzrex View Post

it is based on the 450X and Acerbis makes a 6.6 gallon tank for the X, and Safari makes a 2.25 gallon rear saddle tank for a whopping 8.85 gallons.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #31
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
it is based on the 450X and Acerbis makes a 6.6 gallon tank for the X, and Safari makes a 2.25 gallon rear saddle tank for a whopping 8.85 gallons.
The new Honda we are talking about is not based on the current X model. It is completely new. It would not be possible for a carbed current X tank to fit a fuel injected motorcycle anyway. The fuel pump will be in the tank on the new Honda.

I see a tank on the new Honda that looks like a big piece of titanium pop corn. Aluminum perimeter framed motorcycles are harder to fit larger tanks to as well with the frame spars right in the way. The improvement in fuel mileage with FI will give this bike 100 mile or more range anyway. If you are adventure touring and need more capacity, I am sure the aftermarket will have something available.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #32
focus frenzy

yes it is based on the new 450X that is based on the old 450X.

the saddle tank can be adapted to work with the fuel injected tank, you plumb the line out from the saddle tank to the vent line on the main tank cap, you then run the vapor recovery line to the saddle tank if you desire to maintain emission control.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #33
CT90RR

I'm thinking that if this ends up coming out in a Rally version I'm going to have a very tough time staying out of a Honda dealership!

Jason
2003 DL1000
2005 CRF250X
2005 TRX350ES
2000 Kawasaki Sherpa
1982 ATC 70
CT90RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #34
Annhl8rX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT90RR View Post
I'm thinking that if this ends up coming out in a Rally version I'm going to have a very tough time staying out of a Honda dealership!

That would be much more interesting, but would add even more weight. If they could do that and keep it under 300 pounds or so it would be really intriguing.
Annhl8rX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #35
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:

My 530 EXC holds .9 in the engine and .9 in the tranny. I can't recall what the hours/miles service interval in the manual is. I don't worry about it. I am not racing the bike. I typically just change it before each trip I do, which may run 1000 miles to 1500 miles. I think the longest I did was around 1800 miles. If I am not doing any trips, I change it once a year because I just don't put that many miles on it. I run synthetic oil in it. I have to top it off a tiny bit each day on trips because mine has always used a wee bit of oil if I run 200+ miles a day with some high speed highway mixed in there (new piston rings did not solve the issue). So I carry a metal MSR bottle with 1 liter of oil. I might use 1/4 of that over the course of a six day trip. If I were going to be doing an extended trip, like down to the end of South America and back, I'd probably change it on average every 2000 miles. When I do change the oil, it comes out slightly darker but clean (no metal flakes, etc,...).

The reality nowadays with modern oils is that the service intervals are likely much shorter than they need to be unless you are seeing extreme service. Oil is relatively cheap. You can be sure that the engineers are being VERY conservative with their service intervals on oil changes. I would be far more concerned about keeping my air filter clean to keep crap out of the motor.

The ability to put a bigger gas tank on the bike is a big issue. I want 200+ miles on a tank RELIABLY as a minimum. IF you are trail riding, that might seem extreme. If you are adventure riding out in the middle of nowhere, that can get a bit tight. I have a 300 mile range on my 530 EXC with an Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank on the bike. That has come in very handy on more than one occasion.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #36
sandman

Looks like Honda made a better Drz400s ..... price is higher but you get a lot for your money.... I like it. Put me in line.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #37
sandman

Btw .... the current crf450x only holds 700cc on the engine side. Talk about keeping an eye on your oil level.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #38
gixxerjasen

You know what's great about this over KTM? Resale prices will be much better for the buyer. Woot for us cheapskates!
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #39
humanrace

Euro model makes 25 HP. US model may do better. Oil and filter change every 600 miles. Engine tear down and rebuild every 20,000 miles. I'll keep my DRZ.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #40
Spyvsspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
Euro model makes 25 HP. US model may do better. Oil and filter change every 600 miles. Engine tear down and rebuild every 20,000 miles. I'll keep my DRZ.
The 701 is the true successor to the DRZ.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i---Sold
Spyvsspy is offline   Reply With Quote