• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"The Oasis of my Soul"... A Lifelong Journey on the road...

Reaction score
First Name
Ara
Last Name
Gureghian
As I posted on a previous thread... learning myself about bandwidth... I will keep this one thread going regardless of the many episodes of my Blog!
Makes sense... right?
It does not get much better than this... I still have not made it to Texas... changes... why not... no schedule... I am now allowed to do so, or not to do so! I am in New Iberia, Louisiana. Seems like I am never going to leave this State... at least I know that I will never go hungry... It is morning as I am posting this... a great ride and experience from yesterday... but my mind is already on lunch!... The weather has been cooperative, the rig is running good, I feel healthy and.. overweight. I have decided to spend 5 more days here, visiting friends and everything that surrounds me... including cooking a couple dinners for them. Can't loose my touch in the kitchen... My Blogging format is still not finalized... my own website is still under construction... and somehow I feel Christmas right around the corner... with no plans what so ever... Oh! well... might be a quiet one in some woods celebrating with Mother Nature this year...
My stories are always on my Blog... hope you enjoy...
Be well... Ara and Spirit

113098250-S.jpg

or you can always stay with us and share some of your cooking skills...

I am actually leaving this week!...
Thanks guys...

Ara and Spirit...

Today was a great day... it always is when nothing breaks down, the ride is good and the food even better... no rain always helps!
A nice loop, the Tabasco factory, a great late lunch... what more can a homeless person and his dog asks for?
It is all posted in today’s Blog with a lot of pictures... love that SmuMug!

Hope you enjoy... Ara and Spirit

113535239-S.jpg

A fine levee ride...

So glad I got to do the rides I had planned early on the week as today is a rainy day... of course rain has never stopped me... Spirit even has his raincoat, but I have to get ready for my departure from here Friday or Saturday toward East Texas... It is time for some serious camping, maybe even a bit of cold weather again, some adventures and some new scenery... try out all this cooking gear that I have been carrying with me all this time.
Yesterday was a great ride by the levee... I will not say on the levee even though a few miles did see me riding it...
Hope that you enjoy the report in my Blog...
You be well... Ara and Spirit.

113876874-M.jpg

Forward West....

It is almost December, just a few minutes away as I am writing, my first December since graduating from Culinary School not spend working... I keep thinking sometimes... what am I doing? How ironic after all these years, finally on top of my profession, with not many mysteries left and some solid knowledge to be successful... to stop working! It just does not make sense sometimes... but I cannot go back as much as I miss the kitchen, this is one chance of a lifetime to extend a Journey over 6 months. I know that I have been on the road only a bit over a month, but I have never thought about turning back!... and I could have.. I never wrote about 2 new contracts that have been offered to me since I have left! As much as my passion remains for my profession... going back always seems like a dark tunnel with no daylight.
Today was, what I call a catch up day. A multitude of “things” to do that accumulates... laundry, organizing, downloading the GPS with new maps, that sort of things as my time here remains at one day.
I will be pushing West... toward the vast lands. I had thought about staying East for a while, but my plans have been rearranged and the need is not there anymore... I am so drawn to the vast open spaces, it will not be the first time and not the last. The ability to actually live in one place for a few days or a few weeks suddenly is so appealing. It is the first time that I adventure myself in this fashion. The past has always seen me on the go... ride, ride, ride... only seeing the peripheral attractions which stood up in travelers brochures and magazines... I want to taste and experience the unadvertised paths which need to be discovered!
I want to unpack everything I have... cook... ride... discover the back roads daily, suddenly the knowledge that I am pushing west further has almost given me a new life... there just is so much on the road to share with you all, and strange enough... as much as I want to be there... I don’t want to get there... afraid to miss what lays in between! I should be in Texas by tomorrow, it is 33 degrees here this am in New Iberia, Louisiana!... I know the northerners reading this are probably smiling, I am not complaining, I actually like the cold better than heat, this does however slow down the amount of outdoor activities, specially with Spirit.
Regardless of the mechanical break downs I have had, this first month has been a great trial time... and everyone in my path has been so kind and hospitable, I could not ask for more. If the rest of my Journey includes people as I have just spend time with, well, I will consider the luckiest person alive!
Friendships and human relations have always been for me the key of life. You know the classic saying... “money can’t buy...”. How true it is, and how great it is when, strangers at first, we can spark such positive emotions into each other’s hearts.
I hope, as I leave here, that my Internet connections are many on the road followed! I enjoy posting these reports along the way.
You be well... enjoy your day... looking up the sky will always make you smile... try it.

Ara and Spirit.

114068736-M.jpg

:tab There is some good riding in East Texas. Check any of the FM's North of US 190 from the La border all the way over to I-45. There are some really good roads around Burkeville, Hemphill, San Augustine, etc... (FM's 1414, 1012, 962, Hwy 87 and 21, FM's 330,353, 1277, 1196 711, 138, 95...) If you like old homes, some of those little towns have some really nicely restored homes from the late 1800's. Also a LOT of Texas history in that area. It is where the El Camino Real trail came through Texas on the way to Mexico for many many years before Texas was ever a state. Caddo lake is also a cool place to visit. It is a little more North, up by Shreveport. It is the only non man made lake in Texas. For something out of the usual, if you find yourself in Huntsville, there is the Texas State Prison Museum...

Spirit is not a real dog if we don't see any pictures!

Thanks for all the info Scott... When one stops ans smells the roses, it is amazing how much history there is and how much people are willing to share it! For a country that only is 200 years old... or so... it is pretty interesting.

Pictures of Spirit... I thought there were some on the Blog, but then again, you might have a point, with the dirty windshield he is generally hidden!
I think what I might do is make a gallery on SmugMug of just his pictures!
In the meantime...

86950103-S.jpg

86950101-S.jpg

112557671-S.jpg

79011177-S.jpg

Be well.... Ara & Spirit

Thanks. He(she?) looks like a brindle bull-heeler! If you get up around I-30 east of Dallas (Cumby), mi casa es su casa, or you can camp in the woods. 903-two-four-three-4788. But I would go between Dallas and Houston if I were you. I hate to start a smoked meat debate, but look for Lockhart,TX and Smitty's Market. Central Texas is the smoked meat capital of the world.

Don't forget to watch for deer, especially in the Trans-Pecos region in far West Texas. After the Hill Country, go through Del Rio on the way to Big Bend. If you haven't been to Big Bend, you may want to stay a while. Lots of free spirits and rat-race refugees live out there.

Thanks Scott... thanks Eulogite... I always had trouble parking at a Mall when the Parking lot is empty... I kind of feel the same way... too much choice!!!... and...
It is a “commute” day for us... not a long one as I need to regroup and decide where I will make home for a while... Your comments, you should know, are always appreciated. And also... while in an area maybe interesting to you, if needing any information, just let me know. I will be happy to look it up... let me be your... traveling agent! I would say us... but Spirit is turning out to be a lazy bum on this Journey...
Someone has to do it!... and write about it... this is your own backyard, accessible... right under your nose, no Oceans to cross, we all speak the same language, the food is good, the water drinkable... and how can you not love your... ATM!
Lets see what you think after reading about it...

114343595-S.jpg

Ara & Spirit

Good decision. Big Bend is a place to fall in love with. You'll learn the story of the development in Lajitas.

You, sir, are an inspiration. And doing what I hope to be doing in another year or two.

My decision to be a vagabound lied dormant for decades, but finally took solid form last Feburary after two personal tragedies nearly sucked the life out of me, and reminded me how precious life is. And how wonderful it is around us, if only we allow ourselves to live it.

Since then I've been working towards that goal. And you are already there.

My helmet off to you, sir. I hope our paths cross sometime.
Keep up the travelouges. They're wonderful.

TexasShadow and Whee

TexasShadow said:
You, sir, are an inspiration. And doing what I hope to be doing in another year or two.

My decision to be a vagabound lied dormant for decades, but finally took solid form last Feburary after two personal tragedies nearly sucked the life out of me, and reminded me how precious life is. And how wonderful it is around us, if only we allow ourselves to live it.

Since then I've been working towards that goal. And you are already there.

My helmet off to you, sir. I hope our paths cross sometime.
Keep up the travelouges. They're wonderful.

TexasShadow and Whee

Some of us might be inbreed to be "bohemians" as my Armenian ancestors did, originating from a country that was always in the middle of others on their way to conquer Jerusalem... how strange that we are dark skinned but my grand mother was blonde with blue eyes...
Life is indeed precious, woke up to that realization when reading "higher ways to consciensness" about 30 years ago... live "now"... as in reality there is no other choice!
Personal tragedies are the hardest indeed in life, as we have answers for so many things happening, that is one aspect that leaves me clueless regardless what anyone tries to explain. I would never mention this, as it is a part of my life I have to deal with my own way, and also thought for a long time that I was the only victim, but since you mention it I will bring it up, loosing my only child, son, at his age of 26, 34 months and 4 days ago, has thrown me into this path... I have taken 6 months vacation a year all my life, I always said that "it was my own bank account", so I have had the taste of it... now I have transformed it into a lifestyle, the worse has already happened, what more could go wrong... maybe living as is, and it does, keeps me busier than ever, at the same time giving me a chance to meet some wonderful people with the same desires of riding and seeing the country, and through my writings and modern technology a chance to share it!
Anyone can do this... it is just a matter of choice and decision as to what you need surrounding you to live on! personally only the mind and somehow a healthy body is enough besides the daily need of food and the ride to take us from here to there... the rest... are just things!
Till then... you be well... and hope to see you down the road... soon!
Ara and Spirit

I couldn't agree more about how misplaced our priorities can be. Career accomplishments on this earth matter for nought when eternity awaits.

John 3:16 (rainbow wig not included)

Eulogite said:
I couldn't agree more about how misplaced our priorities can be. Career accomplishments on this earth matter for nought when eternity awaits.
Everything is a trade off.
But priorities depend on cultural influences, self-worth and change.

Career accomplishments for many are, world over, a measure of self-worth. Both internally and externally. It is used to measure and judge ourselves and each other in the world of today. Is it a valid measurement? Only each individual can answer that, and many can't. Some let others decide for them.

Change is a major factor; people inherently do not like change. Change is a risk and most are not comfortable with taking risks. Many cultures protect against change and risk by their laws, traditions and rituals. It does offer stability and a large element of protection. But it can also deter and prevent necessary adaptations and progress.

We live in a rapidly changing world and environment; people are scared of change. Understandably, but we've also lost our resiliency and ability to weather these big changes. So they cling to things that provide comfort and impart external self-worth. But are people happy? Evidence provided by our material consumption rate and throw-away society, clinging to superficiality and discarding or avoiding choices that can bring internal rewards and satisfaction suggests not. Our self-worth is more and more measured by things outside of us than what is inside us. We are losing ourselves.

Which I find ironic considering that this country was settled and founded by those who fled, persecuted, sick and starving, from other places. They faced unbelievable challenges and dangers, risks and changes that we can only imagine or read about in our modern society, to wrestle a living for themselves and their children and children's children on this continent (I include all of North America here). They persevered and largely gave us what we have now.

And now we are what? Where are we? Where will we be in 20, 50, 100 years? As long as we have a job, working from 8-9 pm until we can 'retire'? When we are used up and too old and tired to really enjoy life? Should we all settle for fast-paced vacations like we do fast food? Jump in the car and speed through places where no one really takes the time to explore and truly experience or appreciate these places? It's no wonder that people no longer take the time to really experience other places or even other people, and lack appreciation for both. We live in a fast-paced life and its our own fault.

I feel similarly about riding trips. I love the thrill of the road as much as anyone. But I want to stop, explore places as I ride through them, talk to and visit with the people that live there, see life through their eyes and stories. I don't want to ride 51 mountain passes in two weeks; that's not my idea of really traveling.

But yes, you are right: it's all about priorities and trade offs. I'm not willing to trade the rest of my life in conscript to someone else if it means missing out on the rest of the world and what life should be and can be; what life has to offer. We only have one life to live and its way too short.

In the end, it's what we value.

Ooops, I try to avoid rants here and save them for my blogsite but I'm sitting outside on the porch grilling salmon and chicken. Had to keep my fingers warm.......:mrgreen:

I'll be good next time......

A restful Sunday...

So why would someone rests on a Sunday?... because they can... because the winds blew me everywhere but where I pointed my nose at... because it got colder and colder going north...
And the fact that, hopefully there will be a tomorrow... Of course I can always say that Spirit was cold... made me turn around...and that would be it for my Blog but there is a bit more... but lets not always blame the lazy bum!... he makes up for it with his personality... and his great companionship, he is a good listener, always agrees and low maintenance!
Should be in San Antonio tonight... I repeat... Texas is huge!!!
And then I found out the weather for Big Bend for Friday night... might need some Gerbings for the rig...
Till then... Ara & Spirit

114590816-M.jpg

BMW and a side car....... Now I've seen it all :mrgreen:
That's fantastic!
I do hope you come up this away (near DFW area). I would love to meet you and Spirit.
Stay warm! Might need a small Widder canine vest, too. ;-)

TexasShadow said:
BMW and a side car....... Now I've seen it all :mrgreen:
That's fantastic!
I do hope you come up this away (near DFW area). I would love to meet you and Spirit.
Stay warm! Might need a small Widder canine vest, too. ;-)

Well, we have to do what we have to do!... That is one way to take my buddy with me... we definitely enjoy summer much more!...
A small widder is a great idea!... might talk to them about it, if then make children sizes... would need to keep an eye on the wiring... tangles... but sure would work!...
Will stay in touch!
Be well... Ara & Spirit

beemerchef said:
might talk to them about it, if then make children sizes...

I know Gerbing will wire a jacket if you have one you like, they said at the MC show it would run about $80. You might call and ask them if they would wire a god sweater???

Ride safe, Ride long

Tx White Knight said:
You might call and ask them if they would wire a god sweater???

Ride safe, Ride long

I'm sure god would appreciate it.;-):-P

That is even a better idea!... too bad the brain did not think about it before!... In San Antonio tonight... Big Bend soon, will be 14 degrees friday night!...
There is a lot to see in Texas...

Be well... Ara

Although there's a lot of miles to cover to get to Big Bend, please don't save time at the expense of some of the greatest roads our state has to offer - take at least a day to ride around the Hill Country before moving on. I don't personally know a good route for ya, but there are two dozen people on here that could recite a GREAT day ride out there without even glancing at a map!

Back