• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shinko 009 Raven Sport Touring Tire

Update on my shinkos...

The front shinko 009 with about 4k miles on it developed a banana shaped knot on it yesterday. The knot ran down the center-left of the tire. I was able to limp it back home since we were only about 5 miles from the house.

The rear was going to need replacement soon, so I will be in the market for another set of tires for the FJR.

The Shinkos on my SV are doing fine but only have about 800-1000 miles on them.

I am not knocking the shinko. Just a FYI update on one issue that came up for me with them.

I have not decided what tire I am going replace them with.

wow this is scary!! i never put a shinko up front because i wanted a stickier tire up front just for peace of mind. my rear shinko has served me well for 6,000 miles now. before this post i had allready decided against the shinko up front. but it wasnt for worring about quality issues. seems like a weird failure. wonder if anyone else has had this problem? thanks for the heads up.

I use pirelli deablo strada on my 2008 Gsxr 600 and I put 14,000 on my back tire before I had to change it.

I'm putting new tires on this week and I'll keep everyone posted on how they do this time. But I think there great tires.

Well i hope I like the shinko's ;I bought 2 sets because I found a killer deal . I have about 1k on the rear I mounted up, so far so good. The profile does give it a different feel for sure from the pirrelli diablo that it replaced , but I'm used to it now. Definately a smooth riding tire.
if I can get 9-10k out of the rears I'll be one satisfied customer :clap:

I ended up buying PR2's for the FJR to replace the shinkos. The more I read about the mileage people were getting, the more it made since for me to try a set of these.

I still have a set of 009's on the SV1000N. I will probably run them til they need replacing, then do some more research and go from there.

I doubt I buy another set of shinko 009's for one simple reason. It's not about the quality of the tire. It is a good tire in the lower price range. My issue was and is, the extremely flat profile of the tire. It made the FJR turn into corners very slowly. My bikes have a "heavy" feeling with the shinkos. That's the only issue I had with them. I did develop a knot on the front tire, but remembering back, I think I may have clipped a rock in the road and it damaged the tire, not real sure.
I have to ride on a budget. I need to do my best to get the best deal I can for my money. At the same time, I want to enjoy my riding. I am trying to get better at calculating cost per mile ridden instead of the up front cost of a tire.

I am going to buy the best tire I can afford. For now, imho, I think there are better tires in the price range of the shinko out there.

Motorcycle Superstore has been a good company to deal with on the purchases I have made from them. One of their customer service reps spent some time with me going through my questions on tires from low end to top end. Here's a link to there sport touring tires. They have a wide price range and a large selection. Happy hunting on your next set of tires.

Motorcycle Superstore Sport Touring Tires Link

I have the Shinko 705s on my Capo and while they are OK.....I would not opt to buy them again. Being a bias ply tire, they have a squishy feel when pushed a bit in corners but the price was great. Now I haven't tried any of the sport tires but probably won't.

Well, I put about 700 more miles on the Shinko and took it off. 15,497mi, which puts 5,767mi on the tire.

Well today was the day, I remounted the Shinko.

4260240989_f0ae62a8e6.jpg

5,767mi or so on the tire.

4260252105_8798fb6233.jpg

Hopefully sitting in a closet for a year and a half hasn't ruined it... I think it'll be fine. We'll see.

trey

What's the latest update? Getting a Bandit this weekend with tires that are reaching the end of their useful life. Probably getting shinkos to replace them.

What's the latest update? Getting a Bandit this weekend with tires that are reaching the end of their useful life. Probably getting shinkos to replace them.

Good timing -- the tire is toast.

44,120mi on the bike, so juuust shy of 9k miles on the tire.

4490148128_26aef82402_o.jpg

4489504619_05f39df9fd_o.jpg

The tire was fine, but it isn't great. For the price, it's good if you can't afford anything else at the time. At the end of it's life, wet pavement performance was questionable, but otherwise it still stuck very well, IMO.

Because I'm a nerd, here are the numbers, value per mile. Prices are from http://www.swmototires.com as of today.

Shinko 009 - $103.95 - 9,000mi - $0.01155/mi :clap:

Michelin Pilot Road 2 - $149.95 - 14,000mi - $0.01071/mi :clap::rider::clap:

So, for the money, really, you're better off spending the extra $50 up front. You factor in that you save $30 in tire mounting/balancing fees because you're not changing the tires as often, and that cost per mile goes down even more.

As good as the Shinko is, it doesn't stack up against the Road2. I'm a big PR2 homer, that's no secret, but this thread is why. They're cheap to run (in the long run), they have phenomenal feel and grip -- wet, dry, cold, hot, whatever -- they're just much better than the Shinko in every way. I have a pair of Road 2's on my garage floor as we speak that I'll mount up sometime this week.

If I were you Siah, I'd go for the Road 2. Congrats on the new bike!

trey

This is the very best tire I have ever had.
Great Grip wet or dry. Longest lasting tire I have ever owned.

Installed on 4/16/2009 on a 93 Kawasaki ZR1100

9/32 tread new
2815 miles – 7/32 left
7380 miles – 4/32 left
9003 miles – 3/32 left

Almost all riding so far has been 2 up with loaded saddle & Tank bags
This also includes multiple burnouts
projected mileage = 13,500+ miles

rear = 170/60-17

Back