• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Scala g9 powerset

Reaction score
Bought a G9 power set yesterday. Installed in our helmets today. Paired with our iPhones easily, software updates and registration went smooth. We are planning on a nice long ride tomorrow, I will update with our thoughts.

I got out for a bit today. Took a bit to get used to the beeps, and figure out when to give commands. Haven't found a comfortable position for the speakers yet. Everyone I have talked to over the headset/phone can't believe I'm on my bike.

I'll be testing the 2 way with the mrs tomorrow.

Everyone I have talked to over the headset/phone can't believe I'm on my bike.

I'll be testing the 2 way with the mrs tomorrow.

+1 Same thing I've heard from folks I've talked to with my G4. The 2 way worked great in Colorado the last 2 summers on dual sport rides. It was the best piece of auxiliary equipment we took. Riding heavy brush on local single track doesn't have much range though. I imagine a RF model would work better there.

Well, not really impressed today. Yesterday I went riding with the mrs, we had a hard time getting the intercom function to work. When we finally got connected her mic picked up a lot of air noise. We also had them shut off randomly on us.

I'm sure most of the problems are do to our need to learn to use them better... However right now there not worth the $$$

Mic placement is critical. It needs to be right in front of your lips.

We've used them two years in a row and haven't had the problem of them turning off.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys, I just bought the G9 Power Set today as well. I returned the UClear HBC200 that I bought on Sunday.

I'm using it primarily to communicate with my girlfriend on the back of the bike, but also want to play music and use the phone.

The UClear was crazy-simple to install - there is no boom mic - the mics are in the two speakers and there is this small box that clamps to the side of the helmet.

I really wanted to like it - my GF said she could hear me fine, but I could not hear her as well. So, thanks to Cycle Gear here in Austin, I returned it for a no-questions asked refund and exchanged it for the G9.

Set them up on the helmets tonight. Just testing on the inside the bluetooth audio sounds exponentially better. They are a little harder to swap between helmets (the UClear can be done in seconds) but everything feels a little more sturdy (and it should for $100 more).

I'll let you know as soon as I finish a road test. Carl - I will take your advice about mic placement...

Adam in Austin

Jumping on the G9 band wagon... My Wife bought us a Powerset G9 yesterday.

I installed hers on her helmet when i went to visit her at lunch, could not have been simpler.

I took the rest of the set home and installed it on my helmet. Again fast and simple.

Charged it for two hours and met her after work for the ride home...
Took us about 10 min to work the bugs out of Syncing her Ipod Touch and Iphone to her set and just my Iphone to mine, figuring out the intercom call feature manual and VOX..

Then we rode home..

VOX is nice...as long as you do not ummm, "Talk" to other drivers going down the road....
Sound was clear, and louder in the speakers then my Ipod and amplifier in a very good set of speakers we have been using for years now.

Will take some more getting used to... But so far, I like a lot.
This is the first foray into COMMS we have tried, hand signals, missed turns, and gas station stops passed by have been the norm for years....

Now with the simple utterance in the mike of "Annoy Kaye" Instantly and automatically my music is turned down, i'm connected to my wife and I can gently remind her, the turn signal is still blinking....:lol:

She tells me she has a similar phrase she commands her set.... before reminding me, 190 is the freeway ID, not the speed limit.

Snoopster and I have been using the original base model Scala Riders for a few years now. At slow speeds we have no problem and it beats hand signals. At 70 she can't hear me over her ear plugs and wind noise but I can hear her fine.

Just recently we started having issues with her being able to activate it with voice and it has recently started cutting off in the middle of conversations (that's not always a bad thing ). If they stopped working completely today I would feel like I got my moneys worth out of the product. I enjoy having the radio when riding alone and I recently paired it with my cell and was able to voice dial using Siri. The calls are clear. For the money I spent (less than $200 a few years ago) I am happy.

I have the g2 set for my street helmet. It works well even with earplugs for when the wife and I are 2up. Phone calls are easy to receive and I've never messed with voice dialing. Music off the phone sounds fine and the volume adjusts for wind noise. Music from my Ipod (not bluetooth) does not run through the headset amp and I cannot hear it above 65mph with earplugs.

I recently picked up 6 decent (for cheap) uhf radios (baofung bf-888s) and headsets for trail/ds group riding. I should have 2-3 mile range under normal conditions. The PTT buttons that came with the cheap headsets are junk and I use the PTT button on the radio. I haven't done a lot of testing, but they worked very well trail riding with the boy last weekend.

I've had my G9 for a little of 6 months now and absolutely love it. I use it daily on my commute for music or the radio. I have used it to make and receive phone calls and most people can't believe I am riding the motorcycle and calling them. I highly recommend this set to anyone. This summer I plan on getting a set for my friends birthday so we can communicate when we do our tour of Texas breweries.

Does the G9 keep the music going in the background when you have an open intercom channel? My Scala G4s do not and that's the only thing I don't like about them. Other than that they're awesome. Would be nice if the G9 can do that.

Does the G9 keep the music going in the background when you have an open intercom channel? My Scala G4s do not and that's the only thing I don't like about them. Other than that they're awesome. Would be nice if the G9 can do that.

If I am not mistaken, that is a feature of all the intercoms out there. I personally wouldn't be able to hear a conversation with my tunes still going in the background. But then again I may just be cranking it up a bit too loud.

No they do not.. And I'm happy for it.

No idea why you would want such a "Feature" but in any case, the Scala G9's turn off the music channel when a call is made, intercom channel is open or the GPS is sending a voice message.

Back