• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike to Bike Communications

TECH51

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good bike to bike (dirt bike) communication setup. I need one for when my 10yr old son and I go riding. I need it to be hands free or a button setup on the handle bar. No two way on the jacket I don't need him taking his hands/eyes off the bars/trail.

Bill C.

I have the Scala Q2 setup for when my wife rides 2 up with me. I have also used it on long road trips for bike to bike with my buddies. I have been very happy with it, that being said, this is in street helmets. I did mount it up in my Joe Rocked DS helmet on a long ride and found the venting to be a bit much so the mic would frequently pick up the wind and open up. A piece of duct tape over the mouth vent helped a lot.

Do they make one with out blue tooth/mp3/bling/blueray/dvd? All I need is to talk him when we ride.

Bill C.

I think that they still offer the base model, but without the DVD
playback what is he going to do in 6 weeks when he is faster than
you and waiting at trail turns:rofl:

Man I remember that age on a dirt bike fearless and no respect for gravity
it only applied to old guys in my mind

Now I am the guy concerned with gravity

Blue tooth is how they connect so without that you are left not much. The dvd, bluray feature is just a byproduct of being a blue tooth device.

Others may have a different opinion and experience. I had the Chatter box set up. Worked great at first, but after about a year they started having issues.

First one of them had a bad communication cord $60 to replace, then the other had an issue with the charger, another $60. Then one of them quit transmitting. The only solution was another unit for $230. The VOX never worked very well. So after 18 months and about $600, I gave up on them and took them off my helmets.

I loved the idea of them but hope someone has come up with something more durable/reliable.

Can anyone recommend a good bike to bike (dirt bike) communication setup. I need one for when my 10yr old son and I go riding. I need it to be hands free or a button setup on the handle bar. No two way on the jacket I don't need him taking his hands/eyes off the bars/trail.

Bill C.

seems I answered this already........ on another site perhaps?

I still say some 2nd hand walkie talkies with VOX headsets.

Yer gonna pay out the nose for new top notch stuff.....you are talking "tacticool"/LEO/.mil standards....not cheap.

but do tell what ya get...:mrgreen:

Sorry for the late reply but as it has been pointed out, the bluetooth feature is how the units are able to communicate. I tried the hand held walkie talkies with vox feature and it didnt work out too well. I spent over $100 all told with results that were not close to meeting my needs. It has been about 3 years so there may be better options now. Quick glance over on amazon I found the most basic set that scala make for $166.

Back