• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Impending storm on Northern Mexico-- I'd like to round up some help!

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
This is the area that our Mex-Trekkers so dearly love, so LISTEN UP!
strm1_strike_325x220.jpg

A beloved area that I truly enjoy visiting is likely to be hit by Hurricane Alex later this week.

I have at least three small villages in which have touched me emotionally and spirtually... great people and beautiful. If the storm does what is expected and dumps torrential amounts of rain, I believe these people may be cut off from the world and will be in trouble. We will need our sort of well equipped vehicles to reach them, if we are even able to!

What I am proposing
is an arrangement of 3 to 5 folks (or more) to haul food, water, etc to one or two of these villages, based on judgment, ability to reach, etc.

What I am expecting are roads to be washed out, land slides, rivers that will be difficult to cross, trees down, etc. Its going to be tough.

If interested, please respond here or with PMs.
I am in Houston, but will be traveling to DFW this weekend to collect my personal supplies and prepare my truck to make this run, likely middle to late next week. If you are unable to do the traveling please consider donating supplies. I can collect in Houston or DFW.

Proposed villages-
Camarones: N24 31.651 W99 46.027
Santa Ines: N24 25.440 W99 46.996
Buena Vista: N24 29.117 W99 49.004

These three villages are in this area... (Borrowed photos from ride reports as mine are inadequate.)
884981576_gQUSB-L.jpg

Road between Camarones and Santa Ines.
884982497_JpAdK-L.jpg

Santa Ines
682448159_jsL48-M.jpg

Village of Buena Vista.
884977816_cWqqR-L.jpg

On Attached file, map, Yellow line indicates route. Blue arrow indicates destination.

Attachments

• plano-nueva-leon-edited.jpg
    plano-nueva-leon-edited.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 197
4x4 quads might be a good option if someone you know has them. They can haul quite a bit more stuff, and can go pretty much darn near anywhere.

4x4 quads might be a good option if someone you know has them. They can haul quite a bit more stuff, and can go pretty much darn near anywhere.

Good idea- by "well equipped vehicles" I meant 4x4 trucks...
Here is my truck...
IMG_2821.jpg

I am almost tempted to purchase some mud tires for the trip, but it may be dried out by then!

Oh and about the quads... unfortunately I dont know anyone willing to lend me there 4wheeler to take it to Mexico.....

Oh and about the quads... unfortunately I dont know anyone willing to lend me there 4wheeler to take it to Mexico.....

Tell me about it! Every time I ask to borrow a quad or dirt bike for a Mexico trip I always get funny looks.

Good luck when you go down. Hopefully the roads will still be fairly passable.

I'm willing to travel with you, but I do not have a vehicle for such a trip other than my GS, and then I would just be one more person to rescue.

So, if you can use a passanger to come with you in your truck, PM me.

Oh, I do have 10' encosed utility trailer to haul stuff if you think that it would not get stuck.

I'm willing to travel with you, but I do not have a vehicle for such a trip other than my GS, and then I would just be one more person to rescue.

So, if you can use a passanger to come with you in your truck, PM me.

Oh, I do have 10' encosed utility trailer to haul stuff if you think that it would not get stuck.

10-4, I'll let you know. Pretty sure I have a passenger... truck really isnt big enough for 3 folks though, but if Dave is unable to travel with me... I'll send you a PM.

I do not have a vehicle to help (other than a bike) and I cannot go and help(work and family). But, I do want to say that I very much admire what your doing and wish you luck. If I can do anything from the sidelines let me know.

I am thinking the Mexicans down there are much more self sufficient than we cityfied amurricans give them credit for. The have goats aplenty, and therefore milk and meat. I think they will need help well after the storm, rebuilding roofs and such.

I really feel for these folks in rough times. It's not an easy life to begin with down there.

Good luck on your expedition, I am looking forward to the write up.

I am thinking the Mexicans down there are much more self sufficient than we cityfied amurricans give them credit for. The have goats aplenty, and therefore milk and meat. I think they will need help well after the storm, rebuilding roofs and such.

I really feel for these folks in rough times. It's not an easy life to begin with down there.

Pedro Norte, I agree.
A secondary mission of this trip is to see what sort of physical help I could lend. If I could pick up 50 sheets of tin roofing, that may help 10 houses repair their roof.

Looks like the storm is making a B-line to the Galeana area...

My experience with Christmas Toy Run down that way is that we haul more building materials down there than toys because that is what they usually need.

Good luck and if you need some help staging material before the trip let me know.

I have a fair number of metal roofing sheets. Never been used but some have a bit of rust but very usable. I think they are 14' long but would have to verify that. If interested, I'll get the exact measurements and quantity. I would certainly be willing to donate them if somebody could get them down there. I live in Leander which is NW of Austin just off of Hwy 183.
Robert Krull

Have you heard any reports from those areas yet about specific needs now that the storm has mostly passed through?

This video (Monterrey) will give you an idea of the result of the torrential rain. Per my Reynosa amigo Arte, the Monterrey-Saltillo highway has been cut due to slides.

What the specific needs are isn't nearly as important as the fact that you are there. I call it the "soccer ball effect". It ain't the ball. It's the fact that you brought it.

Incredible video, Trice.

El Norte internet newspaper reports road between Linares and San Roberto closed both ways. That means Galeana.

The road from Cercado (Santiago) up to Cienega and Laguna de Sanchez is also closed and those communities are "incommunicado".

They're saying just don't try to go from Mty to Saltillo, either.

The entrance to La Huasteca canyon is closed, and the people living up in there haven't been heard from.

After Action Report?

What was the end-all of this thread?

Did the relief effort happen?

How did it go?

:confused:

Last edited:
Couldn't get anyone to commit to the adventure..... didn't go.

The recent rains should have made interesting road changes for this year's MexTrek.

I guess I have to ask why anyone would go into Mexico with the current situation along the border.

Wayne

I guess I have to ask why anyone would go into Mexico with the current situation along the border.

Wayne

In short, its a passion for the place and the people. Those who have never experienced Mexico have trouble grasping the concept.

There is always a "situation" somewhere sometime. And very likely closer than you think.

I think the trouble along the border in Mexico is more than a "situation". It is darn near a war zone. I think the young lady whose husband's body has not yet been found in lake Falcon would tend to agree with me NOW. Unfortunately, NOW is too late.

And no, I don't just sit around my house worrying about danger or being afraid of everything. I just think at some point the risk far out weighs the rewards.

Wayne

I think the trouble along the border in Mexico is more than a "situation". It is darn near a war zone. I think the young lady whose husband's body has not yet been found in lake Falcon would tend to agree with me NOW. Unfortunately, NOW is too late.

And no, I don't just sit around my house worrying about danger or being afraid of everything. I just think at some point the risk far out weighs the rewards.

Wayne

Not to get in a pissing match... but people are killed, murdered, tortured, robbed, stabbed, shot, run over by bicycles, alll the time in Mexico. Oh wait, that was yesterdays headlines for Dallas news................................................

Back